Harnesses - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
twerpie1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42476
What I Drive: 2002 Cloud Nine Wagon SE

FF Reputation: 1 twerpie1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Question Harnesses

I want to put racing harnesses in the wagon but I dont know if there is any way to mount them. Would I need a harness bar or is there any other way to put them in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tiffany

ATX Faction #41
Midwest Crew #3
Tuned by Tom!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
MikeF2D
Fist Pumpin' Champ

Fan#: 54450
What I Drive: 2008 Black SE coupe

FF Reputation: 17 MikeF2D Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i forget what company, but there is a haness that has retractable belts that mount onto the back of their racing seats
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
plumcrazy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46433
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 plumcrazy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used 3/16 " aircraft cable and 2 quick links to connect my harness to the top rear seat latch in my ZX3. I run the belt through the head rest posts. It's
a good safe angle for the belt and it removes easily. It doesn't interfere with using the stock belts.

I picked up a free seat belt extender from my friendly Ford Dealer. Cut off the male end and insert it in the latch to stop the warning chime.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerpie1 View Post
I want to put racing harnesses in the wagon but I dont know if there is any way to mount them. Would I need a harness bar or is there any other way to put them in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tiffany
Tiffany -

This recommendation is for AUTOCROSS USE ONLY.

It is not advisable for use on the street or the track.

Using any cam style race harness (Simpson, Sparco etc.) you can install them WITHOUT a harness bar using the stock seatbelt mounting points.

You will need 8-10 inch bolts with the same thread pattern (Pull one out of the seat belt in the front and compare).

Lap Belts:

Remove the front seat belt assemblies and thread the longer bolts through them along with a washer. Underneath, slip the harness belt eye over the bolt and reinstall in the original mounting points.

Shoulder Belts:

Lift the rear seat cushions and remove the driver rear seat belt assemblies. Just as you did with the front, thread the longer bolts through them with a washer. Underneath, slip the harness belt eye over the bolt and reinstall in the original mounting points.

Take the shoulder belts and CROSS them through the headrest and drape them down the seat back.

Sit in the driver seat and adjust to the desired tightness. You should have enough slack and belt material for a very snug fit.

As I stated before, use this set up ONLY for AUTOCROSS and not for street application (Most safety harnesses are not approved by DOT for street use) or the track. The reason is that you don not have a harness bar to provide additional tension on the belts in the event of a crash. Nor are you installing the submarine belt that you would have to drill into the floorpan for installation.

With this set up on the street or at the rack, in even a minor collision, the cam lock assembly would compress into your diaphram and crack/break ribs or worse - bruise the heart as it slipped under your sternum.

However, this is PERFECTLY SAFE for AX applications.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
twerpie1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42476
What I Drive: 2002 Cloud Nine Wagon SE

FF Reputation: 1 twerpie1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks Wee! After this last weekend's autocross, I need something to keep me in the seat a little better.
ATX Faction #41
Midwest Crew #3
Tuned by Tom!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
i was reading that and scratching my head, but then i realized all we need seatbelts for in autoX is to keep us in our seats as we fly around the track haha...pretty hard to get in a wreck in autoX but i've seen people get close once!

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
HSFocus93
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 55454
What I Drive: 2001Blue ZX3, 2000 Saleen S281SC

FF Reputation: 1 HSFocus93 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerpie1 View Post
Thanks Wee! After this last weekend's autocross, I need something to keep me in the seat a little better.
Have you tried a "CG-Lock"??? Attaches to your stock belt in about 30 seconds and LOCKS you in place. Was the BEST $40 I've spent.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
The CG lock is a good suggestion.

A lot of people have good success with it.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I also use CG-Locks and they do keep your butt in the seat where it belongs.

I wanted to use a harness in my car until I researched the subject. After which I came to the conclusion that I would never install a harness without a ROLL BAR and harness bar. Besides spinal compression caused by incorrectly installed harnesses what if the worst happens and you roll the car. There you are strapped upright in your seat with no place to go while the roof collapses on your head.

Just food for thought.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
HSFocus93
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 55454
What I Drive: 2001Blue ZX3, 2000 Saleen S281SC

FF Reputation: 1 HSFocus93 Good Standing Member
Yep, I first discovered the CG-Lock with my Saleen Mustang...
leather seats + 1g handling = death grip on the steering wheel trying to stay in the car!!!

I've been using one in my Focus for autocross this entire season. You scoot your butt as far back in the seat as possible, then give the belt/CG Lock on good tug. Beats the heck out of trying to twist the belt so it won't slip.

Bookmarks & Social Networks