Gas/exhaust smell coming through vents - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
heinzguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59391
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 heinzguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gas/exhaust smell coming through vents

Hi, I'm new to the site, but have been browsing it for a long time now. anyway,I did some work on my car 1st time in 95,000 miles. I recently replaced my PCV valve, Spark plugs, and fuel filter, all on seperate occasions.
After I replaced the Fuel filter I was getting a gas/ exhaust smell coming in through the vents whenever I would stop the car at a light and take off. I checked for leaks by the fuel filter, nothing wrong. If you have the hood open, you can smell it. It seems like it is coming from near the spark plugs, specifically one spark plug area has more of a smell. I just don't understand why this would happen after replacing the fuel filter. I'm worried that when I stalled the engine to relieve the fuel pressure I might have caused damage while it bucked. I never had any problems with the car besides the EGR valve which was replaced back in January. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
RhodySVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40538
What I Drive: 2000 Celica GT-S 6MT

FF Reputation: 7 RhodySVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
When it happened to mine it was the "charcoal canister" on the passenger side firewall according to the dealer. However it didn't fully go away until I replaced my plug which were well worn and probably causing a misfire. Any engine codes?
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #62 SOLD
2004 CD Silver SVT ZX5 Euro PowerWorks#1062 of 1079 SOLD to ADAMSVT
Foci I will miss ye...
Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
heinzguy
Focus Rookie

No engine codes, and my plugs are brand new.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
heinzguy
Focus Rookie

I unscrewed my oil cap today and noticed a smell of gasoline. Not overwhelming but there is definitly gas in it. I looked at my fuel injectors, they see ok. I did notice that the smell of gas is strongest when I first start my car. Is it possible that when I changed my fuel filter it is causing too much gas to flow. After all I did not change it for 95,000 miles. All this started happening right after I changed it.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Cheffy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33581
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 8 Cheffy Good Standing Member
Did you install the PCV valve correctly? If not, or if it is malfunctioning, it would not properly vent the crankcase causing the buildup of unburnt hydrocarbons. This could be the smell.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
heinzguy
Focus Rookie

The PCV valve seems to be okay. I had the PCV valve replaced 2 weeks before the fuel filter. The smell started once I drove the car after replacing the filter
Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Cheffy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33581
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 8 Cheffy Good Standing Member
Kind of a stumper. Unless improving the fuel flow suddenly made an existing problem come to life. I'm out of ideas.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Your fuel filter was probably pretty clogged and the ECU sensed it. In its short and long term fuel trim strategies it probably stored info to make the car run richer because of it. It wasn't running rich before the fuel filter change because it was clogged but now since it flows so well, the computer hasn't adjusted to it and it is keeping the elevated levels of fuel up. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. The car will run a bit weird afterwards for around 10 minutes because it is relearning its strategies. This will reset it and make it realize it doesn't have to use so much fuel.

I am confused though how the smell of gas and exhaust seem to be one with this problem though. You say the smell is promonent right over one of the spark plugs right? Well since you have an SPI the plugs are on the side of the motor instead of the top right above the exhaust manifold. Have you removed the shield and checked for leaks? If you find a leak you might need a new manifold gasket which is easy enough to replace.

I would check out/do both these two things.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
And make sure there are no fuel leaks in the fuel filter area.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
heinzguy
Focus Rookie

Update: I brought my car to a shop today for someone to look at. Really reliable guy, so I know he will not screw me over. Just waiting on a call to let me know what is going on. He is making it his priority to get this car done ASAP. Thats what I love about independant shops.

Bookmarks & Social Networks