F2 & Ebay STS Comparison - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
F2 & Ebay STS Comparison

Well since installing my F2USA STS (short-trow shifter) I heard a lot about the same one being available on Ebay for 1/2 the price of F2s. So my curiosity got the best of me and I order one from Ebay.

Here's what I found when I compared the two.

The Ebay STS arrived nicely packaged in a cardboard 1st class mail envelope, inside of another 1st class mail envelope. Once you get through both envelopes you'll find this;

after opening the packaging you have;

My first step was to remove the reverse lockout gear which is not required on my car. Removing these pieces was easy enough and after doing so I did find a broken O-ring.

The broken O-ring did not present an issue for me as that was under the reverse lock-out gear I wasn't using anyway.

So my next step was to remove my F2 stick from my car and compare that to the Ebay stick;

Well they sure look that same to me! (Ebay left, F2 right)

Ah, but then I noticed something. The angles on the Ebay stick are very different then those on the F2 stick. Check the pictures below;

That's the Ebay stick on the left, F2 on right and my new header in the background. But that's another story.

And from another angle;

Also note the plastic piece in those pics. The one on the Ebay stick is to small. It went right through it's intended mounting location and fell out the other side. Not a huge issue, just use the stock piece instead.

So I really hadn't intended on installing the Ebay shifter but I wanted to see what difference those angles made. The first thing, after installing it, that I noticed was the shift cable was a lot closer to the console than with the F2 stick. But it did not actually hit the console, just pretty close.

Now for the biggest issue I found. The Ebay shifter would not return to neutral above 3rd and 4th when it was released. If you pushed through the gate toward 1st or 2nd and let go the stick just sat there. The gate didn't push it back to the correct location. Same for moving toward 5th and R.

So I double checked my install - everything was fine there. I removed the Ebay stick and confirmed my first suspicion. The main pivot point on the Ebay shifter was to big, not by a lot, but enough to add more resistance and prevent it from functioning correctly.

So, to me anyway, it is obvious that the F2 stick and the Ebay stick are in fact NOT the same. The angles on the two sticks along are enough to prove that point. Add with the pivot point issue it just confirms the old saying, "you get what you pay for".

EDIT: As of 9/29/08 this STS is out of stock and F2 will not be producing any more in the near future. Central Florida Motor Sports (www.c-f-m.com) does sell a STS for the same prices as Steeda and for those that prefer a shorter stick, CFMs is 1 1/2 inches shorter than Steeda's.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by BradWhite; 09-29-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Stooge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41306
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silve SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 Stooge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Very nice man, i like the write up and comparison. true on the saying there.
rep bro

Andrew.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
evanjfrancis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58870
What I Drive: 2001 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 evanjfrancis Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
very nice write up, definitely good for any1 lookin for the cheap way out =p
rep =D
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
cheaper is not always better.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
well, its about freakin time you got this done! very interesting.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Yeah, yeah - had a very busy weekend. Normally I can just sneak off to the garage and play but I couldn't get away with that this time.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Excellent article Brad.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
look at that, lovin from our landlord lol.

brad, i ordered the OLD style (the FR one) of steeda. i havent paid for it yet, so it will be a week out, but I wanted that to compare it to the new version that the other guys got. so we can see the difference. i have noticed that angle change on other sts's that i have looked at, i wonder if that has anything to do with the issue of it not bouncing into neutral.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
captcurt_18
Freeskiing Fanatic!

Fan#: 49565
What I Drive: 2005 Light Tundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 26 captcurt_18 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
very good writeup brad, thanks man.
Sedan Revolution Member #120
University of Montana
Photoshop Guru! PM me if you need something chopped up
Give me rep if im helpful!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Thank you one and all for the nice remarks - they are appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisEnforcer View Post
i have noticed that angle change on other sts's that i have looked at, i wonder if that has anything to do with the issue of it not bouncing into neutral.
I wondered that too. Those angles do change the final position the shift cable is going to wind up in, and I don't know what else. But I believe in this case the main pivot ball on the Ebay STS was the culprit. I'll know for sure tomorrow (if I have time). I did a little work on the pivot tonight to reduce it's size a little. Just haven't had time to install it and see if I did any good or not.

Brad

Bookmarks & Social Networks