So you want to buy an intake? - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #131
HomerSimpson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 17741
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 HomerSimpson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Re: New to the site

Quote:
Originally posted by hellraiser7400
OK i just bought a 2000 focus Lx with a 2.0 zetec and i went el cheapo and bought a ebomz air intake, but the pipe has no port or hole for my sensor, yes they insist it will work for any focus..... are the full of it or do i need to mod. any info or comments please let me know. thanks

-Ed
You sure you have a Zetec there?? Not to call you out or anything, but I've never heard of a LX coming from the factory with a Zetec. The only sedans I remember it coming on were the SE Sport and ZTS.

The engine cover will say if it's a Zetec plain as day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #132
hayes141
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18586
What I Drive: 2002 Pearlized Gray Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 hayes141 Good Standing Member
Hey what is the best website to buy good intakes for cheap?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #133
Gismo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20266
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver C-Dan

FF Reputation: 1 Gismo Good Standing Member
Thanks to everybody who posted. I learned alot more about intakes for the focus from reading through this thread.
-- During the next 24 hours, the world will consume the equivalent of 220 million barrels of oil. That energy drives the economic progress that improves the quality of life for people around the world. Do I give a damn? Not as long as supercars are guzzling it. --

~Jeremy~
Old 04-30-2005, 07:04 PM   #134
Abe_313
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12767
What I Drive: Silver 02 zx3 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 Abe_313 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
OK so I bought this shorty intake off of ebay for like 35 bux. Came in and I was gonna install it, and guess what?!?!? It doesnt fit. The rubber hoses dont fit around the TB nothin fits. so if you guys are looking for a shorty on ebay save your money they SUCK
Old 05-01-2005, 03:30 AM   #135
nikkfocuszx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 17653
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria RED ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 nikkfocuszx3 Good Standing Member
So you wanna buy an intake?

Hey man, ur right, the intake i ordered didn't fit either, but with a little patience, and some inginuity, it works pretty well. I guess that's what we get for tryin to save some money eh? ha ha.

Nick
Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #136
DrRay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
I'm considering a CAI or short ram for my Zetec/ZX3.

I had a big concern about AEM, as my local perf shop had one customer complaining about sucking water. I also have a '93 Civic, which has the stock air intake located low behind the front bumper and it sucks very dirty air - filters last just a few months.

So short ram looked like the way to go, but there are concerns of air temperature. So, I did a Mythbuster's experiment. I hooked up a electronic remote thermometer taped at the position of air intake of a short ram, and a CAI. At warm idle (18C ambient temp), there was a 15C higher temp at the short ram location versus the CAI position. But at cruising speed, there was a 2C difference, and at highway, no measurable difference.

So, the temp problem with short intakes is only a problem at idle/low speed. Which may effect drag runs, but not an issue for me. Whether or not even 15C makes a real difference, I don't know.

What I rarely see, and makes much more sense, is a small hood scoop to draw outside air in from a short-ram intake, with a foam water barrier.

Lastly, I asked five manufacturers for the data on horsepower increases they claim from 5-13 hp. Not one could provide me with the actual data.

Steeda has a dyno run on the website with a 6 hp gain. But from a single Dyno run, which is meaningless. You can bet that that was the best gain ever, and practically, it's below that. I doubt 4% will make a noticeable difference other than engine sound. I'm certain these dyno runs were not done with accurate air flow fans, which means they were testing at low air flow, which will magnify any effect.

I don't undertstand Ebay claims of better gas mileage, more flow means more power, more power means more gas used.

I'm not kidding myself, I'll fit one 'cause it sounds cool.

As for suggested Focus performance inprovements #1-#4..

#1 tires (I really like my Fuzions)
#2 suspension (I've got FR SVT kit-recommend)
#3 exhaust
#4 anything that lowers weight, the Focus is pudgy.

Last edited by DrRay; 05-12-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #137
Poney
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4767
What I Drive: 07 F one-fiddy

FF Reputation: 8 Poney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Re: New to the site

Quote:
Originally posted by hellraiser7400
OK i just bought a 2000 focus Lx with a 2.0 zetec and i went el cheapo and bought a ebomz air intake, but the pipe has no port or hole for my sensor, yes they insist it will work for any focus..... are the full of it or do i need to mod. any info or comments please let me know. thanks

-Ed
I just got a Ractive short ram superflow intake. It didn not have the plug for the stock maf like the AEM has, but wut you do is use the stock maf boot. Just connect it bewteen the intake tube, and the air filter. If you have any questions about it, PM me and ill send you some pics of how i did mine. But as far as I know, you MUST have the MAF Sensor !!!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #138
nikkfocuszx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 17653
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria RED ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 nikkfocuszx3 Good Standing Member
So you want to buy an intake?

Drray,

Hey man, i feel your pain with the CAI's! My CAI works great, but their are a few shortcomings to them! Yes, at first mine also did suck water but with a little inginuity i have mine fitting higher than normal to steer clear of any water so that solved my water problem. I would say the 6hp sounds bout right most of the time. I personally can Tell a HUGE difference in driving my car with the CAI on it. It may not be a huge diff on a dyno or in drag times, but my shift times have increased almost exponentially, I'm very impressed myself!!

ED,

Hey Ed, The Bomz CAI suck big time. If you gotta new Focus they WILL NOT FIT!!!! The Sensor port does not fit at ALL! But with a little inginuity you can use the section of old intake pipe for your sensor placement then run the aftermarket pipe out from that, just takes a little thinking outside the box!!!! Please let me know if you need anything else!

I hope i could help in some way

RockNRoll,
nick
Old 05-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #139
Striven Always

Fan#: 23182
What I Drive: 02 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Striven Always Good Standing Member
what is a iceman gonna run me?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #140
KngJake
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 22691
What I Drive: 05 Liquid Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 KngJake Good Standing Member
I like the Steeda CAI on my 05 2.0. Just my 2 pennies. Check out my gallery for pics.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.