NEW Steeda STS! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Tantalus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47203
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 48 Tantalus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
NEW Steeda STS!

So last week, when the new Steeda STS became available, I ordered one without hesitation. Due to my not being home Saturday, and FedEx not delivering on Monday's, I didn't get it until today.

I installed it about 20 minutes after i got home.

The result: I LOVE IT! :)
While I have not used the old Steeda/Ford Racing STS, the new one feels great. Throws feel short, the height is perfect, and everything feels tight.

The review, (and a how-to writeup tomorrow night) is as follows:

Delivery: As I ordered the STS BEFORE it was actually assembled, it took them 2 days to ship it. No problems here.

Installation: Pretty easy, thorough directions and overall helpful pictures. It should have taken about 45 minutes, but it took me longer as I was taking pictures along the way, and had a bit of trouble getting some of the screws tight (which I'll note in the how-to). No major modifications necessary, and the only tools I needed were: a screwdriver, a boxcutter/scissors, and some wire cutters.

Actual Product: Everything feels good, and so far I really like the way it shifts. I ordered a Steeda polished shift knob to complete the setup, and (at least with the Steeda knob) no spring is needed for the reverse lockout delete. Everything is tight and works great. Note that the Steeda shaft feels much heavier than the stock shaft, and feels great when shifting.

All in all, at $120 this STS is definitely worth a look when your shopping for an STS.

Pictures & How-To
I just realized that my pictures don't fully emphasize the shaft height. Notice that each view of the Steeda STS is closer than the same stock picture. I didn't mean to do this, but just so everyone is aware, the Steeda truly is about 1.5 inches shorter than the stock assembly.

Stock shifter rear view:

Steeda STS rear view:

Stock side view:

Steeda STS side view:

Steeda Shaft VS. Stock Shaft

I'm going to basically follow what Steeda sent as the instructions, as they were very accurate. [People who don't have the reverse lockout will be able to skip a few steps...these will be marked with an asterisk*]

1) Remove the shifter knob by unscrewing it from the shaft.

2) Release the base of the shifter boot by pushing the rear gently towards the shifter and lifting up.

3*) Remove the reverse lockout spring.

4*) Pull the shifter boot up the shaft and inside out. Cut the zip tie that holds the boot to the shaft.

5) Pry the shift cable off of the cable mount located on the front of the shaft.

6) Loosen and remove the screw holding the cable mount, and slide it upwards and off the shaft. SAVE THIS PIECE.

7*) Slide the reverse lockout upwards and off the shaft. Discard.

8) Remove the 4 screws in the shifter base cover, and remove the cover. USE A SCREWDRIVER THAT FITS PERFECTLY, THESE SCREWS WERE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO TIGHTEN OR LOOSEN, AND CAN STRIP EASILY.

9) Pull upward and towards the drivers side on the shaft, and remove from the z-bar bushing. Remove the entire shaft.

10) Pull the pivot sleeve (round plastic piece) off the stock shaft pivot ball.

11) Apply grease [provided] to the pivot sleeve and pivot ball, and attach pivot sleeve to the Steeda shaft pivot ball. Make sure the the flat piece on the sleeve is facing the front of the shaft [the rear has the little pin on the shaft]

12) Apply grease to the side pin. To re-install, place side pin into the socket of the z-bar, and then match up the flat spot on the pivot sleeve with that of the base.

13) Make sure that the z-bar bushings are properly seated, and that the pivot sleeve is fully inserted into the base.

14) Re-install the shifter base cover with the 4 screws you removed [Again, be careful not to strip them. Tightening the screws in a cross pattern about a half turn at a time to keep pressure a little more even seems to help.. (courtesy of Wodan23)]

15) Put the cable mount back on and slide it down the shaft until the bottom hits the pin. Tighten with the screw you removed earlier. [If you experience any clearance problems with the front console, you can slide the cable mount down so that the pin is in the opening that gets screwed shut. I did not have any clearance problems, and so used the pin as a marker.]

16) Pop the cable back onto the mounting ball. [At this point you may want to attach the shift knob, and ensure that the shifter can still put your car into every gear without any obstructions].

17*) Using the provided 'billet reverse lockout', flip the boot inside out and attach to the billet lockout with the provided ziptie.

18*) The front of the plastic trim attached to the boot may need to be trimmed down. Do this with wire cutters, or any tool you desire, but DO NOT CUT OFF THE CLIPS!

19) Install the shifter boot, and pop back into place on the console.

20) Install the shifter ball, and tighten down all the way to prevent the billet lockout from rattling.

Congratulations, you have now installed your new Steeda STS!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Quaife ATB Differential, Exedy Stg II Clutch/Flywheel
Coming soon...

Last edited by Tantalus; 09-16-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
cant wait to hear, im sure its a thicker stronger peice then stock, cant wait to see it all done up
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Wodan23
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46243
What I Drive: 2005 Reflex Silver GTI

FF Reputation: 42 Wodan23 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yea ill bet i know EXACTLY what screws were tough to get tight again. i wonder why that is? hmm? for ppl who haven't seen already heres some sneak peaks:

I'm sure Tantalus will have much better pics than me. can't wait to see the how-to.
Purchased at 4:20 PM on 4/20/07 :)
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Tantalus
Focus Addict

Regrettably I didn't get to take any pics during the install. I was trying to finish before it got dark, and my hands were covered in grease. Grease+ expensive camera = don't mix!

But there we have it. Wodan, if you have anything to add to the How-To, definitely shoot me a PM and I'll put it in :D
Coming soon...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
jwh172
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42415
What I Drive: LG ST

FF Reputation: 1 jwh172 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
sweet. it looks very similar to the old one. does anybody know what the updates on these were?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
zx5Ye
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55034
What I Drive: 2003 yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 zx5Ye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looks good :)
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Tantalus
Focus Addict

Thanks guys. I'd also like to note that while many people have had issues with Steeda, I experienced no problems whatsoever. For the price, I'd definitely recommend this STS.
Coming soon...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
okay guys, so give me the skinny. how tight is it? does it feel weird, with the height being shorter? any harder to reach it? weird getting used to it?

for those interested, PM me for a deal on this sts.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
Tantalus
Focus Addict

It's pretty tight. It could be a little more so, theres still a little little teeny wiggle in gear. The height is actually much more comfortable than stock, I really like it. Weird..a little, since each throw is like 1/4 of what it was. But I every time I hop in my car now I look forward to using it!
Coming soon...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
mpsii
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45176
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Grey ZX5

FF Reputation: 49 mpsii Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Why is it that the "short throw shifters" always seem more short than short-throw?

I just want a shorter shift pattern. I don't want to have to reach into the transmission to shift the thing.
Zetec Crew #137 / Boosted Crew #88
2003 Liquid Grey ZX5 SES - see profile for pics

Bookmarks & Social Networks