Road course racing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
SVTZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48959
What I Drive: 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Road course racing

Ive been doing a little looking for a road course to run my svt on. and it looks like the closest one is mid america motorplex in pacific junction, ia. looks great, 2.23 mile 15 turn course, i cant wait to go. it says they offer 94 unleaded, 110 unleaded, and 110 leaded gas on site you can fill with. my question is would it be a bad idea to use the 110 unleaded in my car? ive heard of people using higher octane in there cars that take premium and it makes a HUGE difference. im just not wanting to hurt my car as its my daily driver. also if anyone knows of any other road courses in or close to iowa, that would be great. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
mpsii
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45176
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Grey ZX5

FF Reputation: 49 mpsii Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Don't use the 110 unless you have a tune for it. I have also been advised to fill up before going to the track (somewhere nearby) as most tracks may not always have the fuel you need at a good price.
Zetec Crew #137 / Boosted Crew #88
2003 Liquid Grey ZX5 SES - see profile for pics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
SVTZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48959
What I Drive: 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well my car is basically stock, except for a borla catback and the base predator tune, which i found to be pretty much a waste of money untill i get toms tune, so i removed it and put it back to stock. i run 93 in my car all the time, it runs great so i wouldnt see a problem with running there 94 octane at least. but i guess i wont use there 110 if i need a tune for it then.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MOVED TO RACING.

Folks there can better assist you.

Stick with the 93 octane. The high test stuff doesn't buy you anything at all with a stock configuration. You would need to go forced induction before you saw any benefit.

The down side is that the car will run hotter because of the increased volatility of the fuel.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 09-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I would run a few gallons of the higher octane fuel, it will help keep deto under control.

Even though the SVT is tuned for 91 or higher when you start doing extended runs (20+ minutes at a whack) the heat generated during that time can most definitly cuase you to experience some deto (be it ever so light and you may not notice it) and the higher octane fuel should allow you to keep running the maximum spark advance (more power)
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
From where you are (Iowa), there are at least two tracks that are closer to you than Mid America...Black Hawk Farms and Autobahn Country Club.

Both tracks host track day events (HPDE).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.