How-To: DIY STS - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
How-To: DIY STS

Okay, so these have been a hot topic (see the sticky at the top of the forum), and I need to give credit to Wodan and Illinipo for their assistance in this. So, I went through, and figured this all out for people for if they want to save money. This mod ends up doing what the Steeda/FR one does, moving the mount up the notch. Other how-tos have been done for STS's but this is for adjusting the stock, and to show people what it is like if you have the rev. lockout, and for those who don't.

Here is what i did. i did the modification tonight, and was happy, but then while driving, my mount slipped back down to stock! so, i went back in, and checked it out. the screw for the mount would not tighten down all the way, so it would go up, but when shifting into 2nd and 3rd, it would pop back down. part of the problem was the rev. lockout, as it was pushing downwards with its spring. i also wanted the mount even higher. but how to do this??

what i did was slid it up as far as it would go, without the mount spinning. this left a good part of the notch exposed, but still left the issue of it sliding back down. to fix this, i used a small hose clamp. i put it over the notch and tightened it down. now, the mount will not slide down, but you have the issue of it sliding up, and popping off the notch (since it is just sitting on it now). what i did was used the rev. lockout to my advantage. it pushes back down on the mount from the shift knob.

i had noticed that the knob could be turned 3 more full turns if i muscled the hell out of it. the 3rd turn, i needed 2 hands and leverage. this lowered the knob about an eight/quarter of an inch, and forces the rev. lockout back down on the mount, so it is now tightly in place. as noted before, this left the problem of the boot catching! soooo, I did the usual and cut it down, but that was still not enough. the bar was still hitting the console itself in 1st and 5th. so, i used a razor and scraped off some of the console, where the boot ring goes (you cant see it). this allowed plenty of free play.

all in all, HOLY CRAP, what a difference!! i cannot believe it. it is like night and day. it just snaps in and out, and is so tight. mind you, i also lowered the overall height just by those 3 extra turns i got out of the knob (took some power). all in all, i would say to do this, see what you think, and then decide if you need to buy an STS. remember, you can also hack off an extra bit if you feel you need to. in my setup, i cannot do that, as i am using the rev. lockout to keep the mount in place. a way around this, or if you do not have the rev. lockout anyways, is to just put another clamp above the linkage mount (the thing you slide up the rod) to keep it in place. you could then dremel/hacksaw off some of the threads, or do more, and rethread it. your choice. what i love about this is that you get the shorter throw, but keep most of the height, and its all customizable to how you want it, for free.

Andddd now....PICS!

First, what is being changed....we are moving the top mount up the notch. Below is an example of the notch, from Omnifocus on FJ, via Illinipo:

So, first, remove the boot ring by pushing lightly on the rear of the ring. There are tabs, one on the rear, 2 on the front:

Rear tab:

Front tabs:

This is what it looks like under there (if you have rev. lockout):

If you dont have reverse lockout:

Now, unscrew the knob. If you have rev. lockout, there is a spring, shown here:

Now, I know the pics are a bit fuzzy (did this tonight), but you can see what i mean. The mount for the linkage I moved up is held tight around the notch by a screw. Undo this (pen is pointing at it below), and use a flathead screwdriver to open the mount enough that it will slide up. You will know how far is too far, b/c once off the notch, the mount spins around the rod. Just slide it down til it is just on the notch enough to keep it from spinning:

Notice the clamp above. That is what I mentioned, to keep the mount in place, from sliding down. Pointed out here:

So, the mount wont slide down. If you have the rev. lockout, here is how it holds the mount from sliding UP (see how the silver piece locks down on the mount):

If you do NOT have the lockout piece, id say just use another clamp on top of the mount, to keep it in place. i tried it,and it worked fine. you would have to do that if you chopped the rod any shorter.

Now that you have that done, you can put the knob back on. Here is the clearance issue though, for the linkage rod:

Here is the fix: chop off the front of the lip of the boot ring, and then the console itself:

Finished, notice you cannot see where I cut the console:

Then, just pop the boot back in, and play around with your new shifter. See what you think! Like I said, may want to chop the stick. Whew! K, I am all done. Hope you guys find this as helpful as I did. Now, this was all drawn out, but it really only takes about 30 mins. It is really easy, but lots of people have never seen under their shifter boot, and may be intimidated by the thought of modding it. Thought I could shed some light. Again, thanks to Illinipo and Wodan.

GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
this is not a true STS. this just changes the way the shifter feels.

this does not change the physical throw of the shifter at all...

it may change feel and it may be nicer to drive but for someone looking to affectively shorten the throw this does not do it.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Memberkenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
Umm, Best has a good point, changed title to shorten your shifter
Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzx3 View Post
Umm, Best has a good point, changed title to shorten your shifter
thanks. id change it to actually...how to: shorten the feel of your shifter
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
it looks better, but has no effects of a smoother, less sloppy shift, i hate stock shifter, its udderly sloppy while in gear, a sts is suppose to tighten that feel up, so for this its, how to chop your stick
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
ZenRanger94
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46237
What I Drive: 06 Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 5 ZenRanger94 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hmm, very interesting. I figured this could be done, just didn't have the guts to do it myself. I'll have to try it this weekend. Thanks for the write up (rep will be given if this works out well!).

-Ken
/\ /\ ST Crew #77 /\ /\
06 Focus ZX4 ST
F2 Intake, Trubendz 2.5in w/hfc, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP dampers, Motegi Tracklite wheels
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Wait, why doesnt it change the shift point? Thats what an sts does, is move the linkage point higher, and that is what we are doing. The only other difference would be the actualy shorter rod itself, which i did not chop, so its not how to chop your stick.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Memberkenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisEnforcer View Post
Wait, why doesnt it change the shift point? Thats what an sts does, is move the linkage point higher, and that is what we are doing. The only other difference would be the actualy shorter rod itself, which i did not chop, so its not how to chop your stick.
A true short shifter reduces the angle below the pivot point that the shaft has to go to shift. All that was adjusted was the upper shaft area

Let me try to find you an article on this.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

yeah, i was right, i found it here, where it was discussed:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=short+throw

in this, i am not shortening the stick at all, but moving the linkage pivot point. the throw decreased by about 3/4 of an inch per gear, and is much tighter. if i DID cut the stick, it would be even less. hardly even a neutral position....so i dont get what you guys are talking about?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Here's a basic article that explains it, it's not a Focus but still explains the points of a Short Shifter vs. Just changing the height.

http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html

Bookmarks & Social Networks