Trunk release button issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
FreightTrain
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 19336
FF Reputation: 1 FreightTrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trunk release button issues

Ok guys I have an 01 focus sedan. My trunk release button just decided to stop working on me. For the last 6 months or so it has been acting up. You would have to push it several times or hold the button down for awhile to get it to pop the trunk. Now it doesn't matter what you do the button will not pop the trunk. This is a big problem for me because a few years back someone tried to break into my trunk for some unknown reason and they messed up the lock so the key won't open the trunk either. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this problem without getting into the trunk to do so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
thisdude_05
Thou shall fear me!

Fan#: 50808
What I Drive: 2009 Scion tC

FF Reputation: 27 thisdude_05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Pull the switch out and look at the wiring. Maybe a bad ground. Or go to a junk yard if the wiring is fine and getthe button off another car.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
What he said.

But after getting the switch out, I would determine if it is the button switch, or something else, by using a jumper to short across the switch and see if jumpering reliably releases the trunk. If you still get the same unreliable release using the jumper, than the problem is not in the button switch, but some where else, i.e., the wiring or the trunk release mechansim.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
tangerine dream
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50586
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 16 tangerine dream Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My wife's 2001 wagon had the same problem. I had a spare trunk release switch and swapped them out to see if that was it. It's worked fine ever since. I'd just pick up another switch. They're easy to replace and I can't imagine it would cost you too much out of pocket.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
ktwelsch
FoFo Lover.

Fan#: 30202
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3i

FF Reputation: 9 ktwelsch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
My switch was on the fritz....I swapped it out...and no problems since then too!
SEDAN REVOLUTION #42 Baby!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Buddydog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38966
What I Drive: 2005 Light Tundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 3 Buddydog Good Standing Member
I've had the same problems with my 2005. I think they are just cheap switches and not very reliable. Mine hasn't worked for almost a year and when I had the bezel off replacing the headlight switch I made sure the terminals were clean (they were) and made it back up again. The connection isn't the most positive I 've ever seen and the feel of the switch is kind of crappy, but now it works fine.....for now. Like I said, I think most of the problems are with switch quality.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
FreightTrain
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 19336
FF Reputation: 1 FreightTrain Good Standing Member
Well I took the switch out today and I was able to jump the switch with a wire to get it to pop the trunk. So now I have my trunk open and I know for sure the switch is bad. I guess I run up to the dealership and grab me a switch as I'm sure it's a dealer only item. Thank god I get employee price on Ford parts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks