Crunch-noise from seat back located. The fix? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Repairing and modding the seat-back....finished.

A small how to.....describing repair and improving the seat-back. Should be similar on most Focus models.

Look...if you're still in warranty, have the dealer fix this. Unless you're familiar with car OEM seat covers, this is a tough job.

The noise was/is a crunch noise from the seat back as you shift around....you can actually feel this when it happens, and it can be a loud snap sound, or a crunch noise like two pieces of metal rubbing. This is an '06 SES w/leather.

The cover comes loose without taking the seat out. I rolled it up to the point of the first photo. Getting it any further off will be difficult. But I found the source of the noise.....I'm pointing to it in the second photo. This is a plastic-coated wire, about 2x as heavy as a coat hanger. The plastic has worn through at the top edge, which has a loop that goes through a hole in the seat frame. As you shift weight around, the metal of the rod is scraping on the metal of the frame.

The solution.....good one. A temporary fix would be a glob of silicone grease at the point of contact. But the noise would come back. A permanent fix.....get a new rod with the vinyl/plastic coating not broken. Or....get a plastic insert for the opening in the frame.

The insert would work good, but there's not enough clearance for one, without drilling the hole bigger, and finding the correct insert. A new rod with a good covering would be an easier fix, but I doubt you could get one from the dealer. I don't know of any other source for such a thing.

Any ideas.....I'm going to the local dealer tomorrow and ask his opinion. I really don't want a Ford mechanic working on my seats.....few of those guys know anything about such work. This thing is still under warranty for a few months. Tough one.

Last edited by bluefront; 09-03-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: INFO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
I decided to fix the thing myself.....so I found a plastic-covered wire shelf at Walmart.

The wire is slightly larger than the Fords, but it's ok. I removed the Ford wire section, and bent/cut the shelf to match the stock piece. I left three of the side wires in place. These were used to stabilize that wire better than the Ford's......less movement=less possible noise. The connecton wires had to be bent slightly to fit. And I taped the edges tight, rather than the wire wrap that Ford uses. How well this will work? I'll find out.

Next up.....firm up the seat padding. It feels too soft to me. And I need to repair a rip in the foam on the front side. More to come....
Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Ok....since I had the cover loose, I did a few mods. First I added an internal lumbar support. It's a 12"x12"x1" piece of foam padding from Hobby Lobby. I made an envelope for it out of a piece of what is called plastic canvas from the same place. I used cable ties to hold the foam envelope to the underside of the wire frame (when looking from the back). This keeps the pad from moving around. Feels pretty good just testing....

On to the front side foam....It was split badly. I suspect every Focus will have this same problem eventually. The inner seat frame has an edge that cuts into the foam, as you get into the car, and put pressure on that part of the seat.

The fix to keep it from happening again...... I made a "net" out of the same plastic canvas, attached it around the frame, and held it tight with more cable ties. The seat foam now pushes against this net, and hopefully won't be cut again.

And I glued the foam split back together using a glue called "E6000".....from Hobby Lobby. They assured me this was the best glue for this sort of foam. The thing is drying now.....I'll put the cover on tomorrow. Hope everything goes back together ok.....

Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Sn4ckM4st3r
Banned

Fan#: 24432
What I Drive: 2002 Stealth ZX3

FF Reputation: 91 Sn4ckM4st3r Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Those were actually your capn crunch sir LMAO

Nice work looks good thus far mang.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

It's finally back together....took two days, mostly waiting for the glue on the split foam to dry. That glue looks to be a permanent fix, but to give some added strength to that "wing" area of the foam, I added some patches made from sheets of sticky-back felt.

When I started to assemble the cover I found another problem area....might as well describe it....went this far. There are two metal support wires....they are meant to be installed after the cover in almost back on. They should have been removed before the cover was removed...a difficult operation with the wires still in there. They have little hooks at each end.

They run through that black cloth channel, and hook at the upper and lower end into embedded wires in the foam. The problem....the upper embedded wire had pulled loose from the foam. That's the reason this seat cover looked soft/loose before I took it apart. The fix.....some cable ties run through the foam, and around the upper embedded wire. They hold the embedded wire tight against the rear wire frame. Now when everything is assembled, the seat cover will be much tighter against the foam.

Here how the wires hook up (in this photo, the wire has not been pushed through the black cloth channel on the cover)

When you put on the cover with those wires removed, leave a few inches of the cover not completely down. This will expose the bottom of the black channel. Push the wire upward completely into the channel. Reach your hand up in there and hook the upper part of the wire to the embedded wire, then do the other side. after both uppers are hooked, hook the bottoms (easy), Then pull the cover completely down.

Almost done.....the lower front and rear edges of the cover just hook together at the bottom, but it takes strong hands to do it. After the whole thing was back together, it now looks about like the passenger seat of this car.....which apparently has had little use (bought the car used four months ago). Now the seat feels 100% better, particularly in the lumbar area.

I hope all of this helps somebody here....if you need any more info just ask, or PM me. If you go to the dealer to just buy one of these seat sections, you'll be shocked at the price. Fixing this is difficult, but not impossible. Lot of mechanics can fix your engine.....very few can fix your seat (correctly).
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #6

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
super old thread i know but i wanna know how hard it is to take off the whole seat cover. i have crappy grey cloth seats and i want to remove the middle part of the seat cover that goes where you lean your back against, and restitch some red material in. i also want to do the same with the bit your bum goes on. (hopefully it ends up sorta like svt seats). i'd also like to do the rear bench as well. would this be very difficult?

a little "how to" for removing the oem covers would be great if its not too much to ask.

thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Sorry.....I never had the cover further apart than the photos. And I never touched the lower seat cover at all.

That back cover would have come right off (probably) if I had removed the plastic inserts that hold the head-rest.....there must be a trick to that I could not see. Perhaps start a new thread with your question.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #8

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yep sure. thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

I've been studying the factory service manual systematically every evening for maybe four months....yesterday I got to the section on seats. The inserts on the top that the headrests go through, are held on by an internal snap of sorts. There is one little picture of the removal process. It shows a small screwdriver being inserted through the top hole to release the tab. I haven't needed to do any more work to my driver seat, so I haven't tried this yet.

The good part.....the nasty noises from my seat that were there when I got the car, have not returned. The seat cover has stayed tight, and the new lumbar support is working great. Hope the welds don't break....
Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Small update to this thread....I saw some photos of an earlier seat than the '06 in my photos. It's slightly different. Instead of the two steel rods in the front of the seat-back, the earlier Focus had strips of Velcro holding the cover tight to the foam interior. This certainly would make removal of the cover easier, but the whole assy might not fit as tight.

So don't be surprised if you find some differences in your seat from my photos.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks