ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #181
TJForster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113489
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 TJForster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help

Hello all, I'm new to this site, trying to find where I can ask this.. Okay here is my problem, I have a 2009 ford focus SES, standard, all the accessories and what not, anyway I just bought this car less then a month ago. What happened was I was racing.. And accidentally shifted from 3rd to second, at a high speed.. My car lost power and stalled, found out one cylinder wasn't working( the second one in from the drivers side). Had unplugged it looked at it plugged it back in and the car still ran the same, then I unplugged it again and the cylinder was working its a different one now that isn't, it's the first one on the drivers side that isn't working now, would it be the distributor? New wires? Spark plugs?? Please help, thank you all, really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #182
Z3T3C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107116
What I Drive: 2000 SE Zetec with ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Z3T3C Good Standing Member
I'll be the first to welcome you to FF. FYI your car doesn't have a distributor, your engine is a direct coil on plug type. Your issue may be a little more complex than just a bad coil though, but more info is needed. I would suggest looking through the Stickied Threads I'm not sure of technical knowledge, but you can measure resistance of each coil with a multimeter to confirm they are all within spec. If you don't have access to a multimeter you can swap coils out from a known firing cylinder and test it that way. However, like I said your issue could be more involved, so I would suggest starting a new thread under the "General Technical Chat Forum." Be sure to include as much info as possible like if CEL is on, and if it is what code(s) is it throwing, what method(s) or how did you come to the conclusion that a particular cylinder isn't firing, etc. There are several intelligent, fellow focus owners on here more than willing to help once you start a thread. Good luck, TJ.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #183
TJForster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113489
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 TJForster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3T3C View Post
I'll be the first to welcome you to FF. FYI your car doesn't have a distributor, your engine is a direct coil on plug type. Your issue may be a little more complex than just a bad coil though, but more info is needed. I would suggest looking through the Stickied Threads I'm not sure of technical knowledge, but you can measure resistance of each coil with a multimeter to confirm they are all within spec. If you don't have access to a multimeter you can swap coils out from a known firing cylinder and test it that way. However, like I said your issue could be more involved, so I would suggest starting a new thread under the "General Technical Chat Forum." Be sure to include as much info as possible like if CEL is on, and if it is what code(s) is it throwing, what method(s) or how did you come to the conclusion that a particular cylinder isn't firing, etc. There are several intelligent, fellow focus owners on here more than willing to help once you start a thread. Good luck, TJ.
Thank you for your help, I had just posted a long thread of everything that happened on the general forum you supplied the link to.. I hope my problem gets resolved.. I'm not use to driving new cars with this technology, I use to drive old Camaro muscular cars...
Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #184
Z3T3C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107116
What I Drive: 2000 SE Zetec with ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Z3T3C Good Standing Member
You're welcome. I hear ya, it's a bit of a learning curve but basic concepts are still there.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #185
William J Toensing
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52435
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red ZX3 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 William J Toensing Good Standing Member
I like these instructions, much better than the Haynes/Chilton or factory manual. My Focus is about ready for its second timing belt at 152000 miles. Had a local mechanic do the first TB replacement. I thought the Zeetech engine on my 2001 ZX3 was an interference engine. From the author's coments it sounds like it isn't.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #186
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
My bad.........

Last edited by amc49; 07-12-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #187
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I used this as a basic guide when I recently replaced the timing belt in my Zetec. I used a slightly different method, but overall the writeup was very useful.

However, I did find it odd that the write-up seems to skip the step for removing the crank pulley. I just wanted to mention that having an assistant shift into 5th gear (manual) and apply the brakes provided enough resistance to prevent the engine from rotating when removing the crank pulley bolt.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #188
daffoml
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87359
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 daffoml Good Standing Member
Hello, I replaced my TB with the help of this writeup, but I am having problems keeping the tension correct it seems.

I did use the pin and bar, so nothing moved during the process.

Before starting, I rotated the engine by hand a few turns to make sure nothing was hung up, and my marks I made kept lining up turn after turn, then, when I started it, the belt tried to 'walk off' the gears, so I shut it down, then checked the tensioner position, and it was 45 deg clockwise of where I set it. I figured that I didn't have all of the slack out of the belt somewhere, and it came out there. After checking the timing by my marks, I reset the tensioner, then moved the belt by hand (ratchet on the crank pulley) and after 1.5-2 rotations of the belt, the tensioner would change position (not as bad as the first time, more like 3-5 deg.

I repeated this a couple times until the belt stopped walking off, it now rides about 1 mm 'inboard' of where it did originally, but I think that's OK, there's still about 3 mm of gear left. The troubling part is that the tensioner is no longer lined up, it's still pointing in the box, but not centered.

I guess my question is: do I need to care?

I can post pics if needed.

Thanks

Last edited by daffoml; 09-16-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #189
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The tensioner is going to move a little bit. This is kind of iffy. Have you checked with bar Nd pin to see if you're still in time?
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #190
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Helluva write-up!

Bookmarks & Social Networks