ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #51
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2507 View Post
Can you provide a link to where you got them? I'm just starting to gather up parts and courage for this as my 2000 SE has 160k miles and I'm starting to think it might be time ...
Bottom of post #1 is a link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #52
Alex2507
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74979
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Alex2507 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhc_focus View Post
Bottom of post #1 is a link
Thanks.
I looked at the other links but decided to not look at that one so I could go on to ask a stupid question.

I was looking behind my CAT and saw about a 1/2" hole on the block. I think it might have been more toward the drivers side than right in the middle of the CAT. Is that where the Crank Pin goes? I'm having a little trouble getting my mind around that and the pic's are tough to orient. I just need to mull this over some more. I take it that the purpose of that is to lock the crank in place while the belt goes on?

Thanks for writing the How-To. I can't rep yet but when I can ... look out.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #53
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2507 View Post
Thanks.
I looked at the other links but decided to not look at that one so I could go on to ask a stupid question.

I was looking behind my CAT and saw about a 1/2" hole on the block. I think it might have been more toward the drivers side than right in the middle of the CAT. Is that where the Crank Pin goes? I'm having a little trouble getting my mind around that and the pic's are tough to orient. I just need to mull this over some more. I take it that the purpose of that is to lock the crank in place while the belt goes on?

Thanks for writing the How-To. I can't rep yet but when I can ... look out.
That's where I ordered the tools. They were very nice however I didn't care for their $.076 they charge for a buysafe fee.

The job isn't that bad. What you describe is the pin. I was able to loosen it up without removing the cat. I was able to reach with a deep well 1/4" socket. My only confusion has been the actual timing. Everyone seems to say something different.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #54
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileWith crank against pin, and bar in cams, engine is at proper timing position. The object now is to install a belt so it stays exactly that way. Follow instructions on loosening sprocket bolts (hold cam with wrench, not just bar) then install belt and tension, then lock (tighten) cam sprockets. This will lock everything in proper relationship with a TENSIONED belt. lock B4 tensioning and it all moves out of position. Reread instructions, take your time step by step and it will all make sense.Turn over by hand after complete (carefully) and see it all line up again after 2 crank revolutions. That confirns proper installation B4 buttonimng up...
Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #55
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
buttonimng
what?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #56
sailor
"Elder"

Doc - Just a typo there - "buttoning" up may be a U.S. only colloquialism referring to all the sundry tasks of reassembly necessary to "close up" after completing the major task at hand. I hope you can "button up" your engine soon, once "swarf" is cleaned out and belt installed!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #57
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Doc - Just a typo there - "buttoning" up may be a U.S. only colloquialism referring to all the sundry tasks of reassembly necessary to "close up" after completing the major task at hand. I hope you can "button up" your engine soon, once "swarf" is cleaned out and belt installed!
OK - many thanks for that!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #58
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Ok. I had to flip the cams 360 degrees in order to get the bar to fit in.

Last edited by RickNC; 05-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #59
sailor
"Elder"

Being one revolution off isn`t unusual, crank turns twice for each cam turn, so you were at tdc #4 to start. That`s why I mentioned turning cams with pistons in the middle of stroke to prevent possible interference while lining up to std. timing location. Lobes of #1 should point outwards now. bring piston to TDC against locating pin (without bringing center pistons up first) and you`ll be at proper alignment for belt installation.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #60
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Being one revolution off isn`t unusual, crank turns twice for each cam turn, so you were at tdc #4 to start. That`s why I mentioned turning cams with pistons in the middle of stroke to prevent possible interference while lining up to std. timing location. Lobes of #1 should point outwards now. bring piston to TDC against locating pin (without bringing center pistons up first) and you`ll be at proper alignment for belt installation.
Well hopefully it is right. LIke I said, had to rotate the cams 360, bar went right in. Crank was against pin and the belt was installed. It went back together easily. I planned on finishing today but found that the serpentine belt pulley was bad so I had to order one at the dealer. Supposed to be in in the morning.

Bookmarks & Social Networks