ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #31
sffish
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47718
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 sffish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I did my timing belt over the winter using this thread. There are a few differences and things to note:

1) I used an electric impact gun to break loose the bolt which holds the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft. If you're doing your own timing belt be aware that you'll have to get that bolt loose somehow.
2) I didn't use the special Ford bolt that you use to find TDC for the engine. I couldn't figure out where the access hole for it was. The bolt that I thought was the correct one was behind the exhaust manifold and virtually impossible to get to without removing the manifold. I simply set the cams using the Ford cam locking tool, then marked the timing belt at each cam sprocket and at the crankshaft sprocket using some wite out. I took the old belt off and lined it up with the new belt using the teeth and transferred the marks over to the new belt. I then used those marks on the new belt to line everything up when putting the new belt on the crankshaft and 2 camshaft pulleys.

Everything runs well. Just as a funny aside, I did the timing belt because I thought the water pump was bad and leaking coolant. I figured while I was in there doing the water pump I'd do the timing belt as well. I had planned on doing the belt this spring, I hate wrenching when it's cold in the winter. I put everything back together and started her up and she still leaked! It was the coolant hose right next to the water pump which was leaking. That hose clamp to that hose is hard as hell to get to as well. I couldn't put a set of pliers to compress it to remove it. I had to use a special tool for compress that hose clamps.

han
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #32
gmcjimmy88
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 48590
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 gmcjimmy88 Good Standing Member
Awesome Write-up! I will be using this to replace my belt in the next weekend or so. Again thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
alexdc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51995
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 alexdc Good Standing Member
is it the same for an svt?... i dont have mechanical skills really... just basic and average knowledge.? should i attempt this
Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #34
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdc View Post
is it the same for an svt?... i dont have mechanical skills really... just basic and average knowledge.? should i attempt this
This takes time and patience. Oh and numereous tools. It's take apart and put back together. Have you done wheel bearings before? Taking the brakes, calibers, rotors, bearings etc off and then put all back together? If not I'd pass.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #35
max505
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 74316
What I Drive: 2000, Midnight Blue 2.0 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 max505 Good Standing Member
2000 dohc zx3

I did my timing belt with the help of one of my friends using this great thread and pics. We consulted in a tank mechanic friend from the US Marines when it came to the cam ford locking tool? step' We simply used a flat file that cost nothing, and allignied the cams <which is done by turning the cams 180 to 360 and sliding the file under the space at end of two cams... and a srewdriver inside piston 1 on the passanger side and turned the engine till cylinder one was TDC {screw driver all the way to top, before going back down while turning crank shaft}

as far as the harmonic balancer bolt we simply added an extension to the socket wrench from Wal-mart / no impact wrench/and turned the starter over one time-- right off the bolt came. DO NOt HOLD THE WRENCH WHEN DOING THIS, you'll be lookin at broken bones.

Runs perfect 29.99 timing belt from auto zone 8.99 Miller 12pk
Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #36
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Glad to see others are able to use the write up. Keep it tight, I'll be hitting 197K miles later next week and the focus is still performing as it did 7 years ago.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
Skullsroad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72852
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Skullsroad Good Standing Member
I bought a used SVT engine a few months ago and want to change the timing belt. I have the CFM timing tool. To find TDC I just insert the pin and turn the crank until it stops and that is TDC? What if the belt on the engine slipped before I bought it, does the pin guaranty TDC? What is this about the cam gear timing? Say I turn the crank and find TDC how do I know the cam gears are correct? Also, I read that getting the VCT timing correct on the SVTF motor is a pain. How is this done?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but every write-up or how-to leaves me with more questions than I started with.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #38
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 63 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileTo speed up this response, check the "timing belt tools for SVTF thread, it`s only back one page right now so you can find without a long search... references - questions and details covered more thouroughly than one post could cover... and you won`t feel alone with your questions... Check it out & post questions/progress...
Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #39
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhc_focus View Post
Hope all this makes sense. If I missed something or you see an error let me know.

Good luck.
what about the removal of the crankshaft pulley and bolt?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230397
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #40
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Ok I am doing this now. Found the belt to be really loose. When I got in there I found that the idler pulley bolt had snapped. I don't know how it was even running. So when the cover came off the idler fell off and the belt came off. I think I also bumped the cam sprocket. So now I wonder how I am going to make sure the timing is correct with no belt...........

Last edited by RickNC; 05-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks