ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 20 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #191
daffoml
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87359
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 daffoml Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourileo View Post
The tensioner is going to move a little bit. This is kind of iffy. Have you checked with bar Nd pin to see if you're still in time?
Yeah, I went back through it tonight, put the pin in and checked the cams, they were exactly as they were before I started, bar slipped right into exhaust, needed a little tapping from the screwdriver handle to get it into the intake.

I ran it for about 10 minutes with the cover off, no perceptible belt movement through the RPM range. I'm done, buttoning it up, and seeing what happens.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #192
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Points 6,886, Level 54
Points: 6,886, Level: 54 Points: 6,886, Level: 54 Points: 6,886, Level: 54
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 80%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%
FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
As long as tensioner stays in window and your belt is not walking in or out then you're ok. Usually when belt walks its cuz the tensioner is either too tight or too loose.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #193
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,838, Level 32
Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
You absolutely MUST ALWAYS turn the motor clockwise only while doing that work, if you go slightly past where you want then go back around again. Turning backwards even a slight bit at a crucial moment can produce your '45 degree' error when you shift all belt slack to the wrong side of the belt run. When going clockwise, all belt slack stacks up at the tensioner where it can take it out. Turn crank backwards AT ALL and all the belt slack stacks up at the idler pulley opposite tensioner and cam sprocket friction will stop the tensioner from taking any looseness up. Then the tensioner will be off on the next recheck.

If you are sure you had it all correct, don't be amazed if it seems to move just a little bit when motor is up and running. The tension changes almost instantly as the belt runs in. Main thing is belt taking a set to where it does not wander, that is the key. As long as belt is not running over either pulley edge you will be fine.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #194
Anthony79
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120254
What I Drive: 83 VW Vanagon with 2002 2.0L DOHC

FF Reputation: 1 Anthony79 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyamp View Post
Yeah but I don't get why you would loosen the cam gears? Like some other guy said, why would the gears ever move or change regardless of what the belt has done? So I still don't know, do you absolutely have to loosen and retighten the cam gears? It looks like the guy who made this how to on pages 1&2 did NOT loosen his cam gears.

Here's a vid I just made explaining my concern before I put everything back together because I NEVER want to do this again lol...so I want to be sure that I'm ok and that I wont get p1381 again because this is an interference motor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=72U037-owiA

Sorry the video is a bit long and backwards, (filmed upside down and it flipped everything so everything thats on the right should be on the left and everything thats on the left should be on the right if that makes sense) but I want to be thorough and also forgot to mention in the video that everytime we knocked up against the pin to be at TDC #1, the timing mark on the crank pulley(harmonic balancer) lined up with the raised portion on the block skirt, so I THINK everything is ok.
I'm having the same issue as anarchyamp except I have loosened the Cam sprocket bolts to get the bar to slide in to the slots.
I'm using the OTC 6486 set http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6486-Tool-.../dp/B000RF9YA0

My bar is a tight fit and when I remove the bar to torque the bolts, (using vise grips on the cam against the block) and re check, the bar wont go back in even though they a tiny bit off. I know you are not supposed to torque the bolts with the timing bar installed but I'm having difficulty keeping the cams from moving while torquing.

Any ideas? Or can I assume it is timed since the crank is hitting the pin and using line of sight, they appear to be level? I will try to rotate the engine a few times to see if it ever lines up correctly.

Thanks for any help,
Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #195
Jon_SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34787
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT Focus

Points 587, Level 11
Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Jon_SVT Good Standing Member
Uhh..... my assumption was that you CAN torque the bolts with the timing bar installed as a type of fail-safe IF it slipped a bit, the bar is in the way to catch any movement that MAY occur.

I recall having the bar in.... torquing the bolts then when its all tightened up taking the bar out. Also make sure the cams are the correct way, the bar only goes in 1 way (though looks like it goes in VERY tightly if they are upside town but wont...)
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #196
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

Points 238, Level 4
Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
Not sure if anyone posted this trick or not. It's not hard to make a tool to hold the cam gears in place while you tq the cam bolt. You could use the cam timing bar to hold them but I wouldn't suggest it.

Here is the tool that I made, cost me $10-15 and took 10 minutes to make.

Worked like a charm. rest it on your shoulder and torque away at the nut. Ether that or brace it against the rad support/firewall.

It also comes in handy for some motor bike and snowmobile clutch removals.

These Camshaft gears are a very poor design. Not sure why they didn't make them with a keyway.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #197
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,838, Level 32
Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32 Points: 2,838, Level: 32
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I made almost a carbon copy of that tool, what Ford uses..........

and you NEVER tighten up with tool in cam slots, best way to break the back of cam off in pieces I know. I use Home Depot 3/16" keyway material, if you get stupid and turn cams with it in, it is soft enough that it just rolls up like a pretzel. Don't ask how I know LOL...................

Keyway stuck in plus a .012" or .013" feeler gauge on both sides makes a perfect slipfit tool and maybe $4 for the keyway. I use Autozone feeler gauge set that quickly unscrews to separate the gauge blades, they can be used to replicate tools of all kinds.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #198
Z3T3C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107116
What I Drive: 2000 SE Zetec with ATX

Points 102, Level 2
Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Z3T3C Good Standing Member
When I changed mine, with the help of this thread, back in March I used a big crescent wrench on the flat part of the cams, which is located 2 or three lobes from the cam gears. May not be the proper or best way, but it worked for what I had available at the time. It was also better than breaking the cam as others have stated.

You can see what I talking about in the pic. This was shortly after I got the car, and as you can see by the dry rotting it was in dire need of a timing belt. You should have seen all the teeth missing off it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #199
Gryzynx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 122913
What I Drive: 2002 white Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Gryzynx Good Standing Member
Just joined this forum after reading this excellent thread. I am about to change the timing belt on my newly acquired 2002 Focus and I also have some concerns about the need to reposition the cam sprockets. Everything I read says this is to ensure proper belt tension, but I would think belt tension is set by the belt tensioner? Cam sprocket position will affect cam timing, but not belt tension.

In my case, I acquired the car not running and I found the timing belt had slipped at the crankshaft allowing the cams to be retarded by about 30 to 40 degrees. The cams are in time with each other. What I plan to do is rotate the engine till I can insert the cam timing bar, remove the timing belt, rotate the crankshaft till #1 piston is at TDC, install the new belt, remove the cam timing bar, rotate the crank twice to let everything settle in and recheck with the timing bar if the cams are still in time with #1 piston TDC. Since this was previously a running engine I would expect everything would still be in time if the cam sprockets have not been moved or loosened. If there is a problem, now would be the time to make any adjustments, at least in my opinion.

Another concern is finding TDC. All info points to the pin as the recommended and most accurate method, but I see the pin as a precision component and length is critical. 63.4 mm according to my Haynes manual. If quality control of the pin from some sources is questionable, (as some info suggests), or if the pin is not fully inserted, TDC would not be accurately located. Would it not be better to use the old school method of a dial indicator in the #1 sparkplug hole? A dial indicator on the crank would help eliminate any error from the dead zone of piston travel at TDC.

Sorry about the long post from a newbie, but searches were not bringing up specific answers. Thanks for your patience.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #200
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,172, Level 46
Points: 5,172, Level: 46 Points: 5,172, Level: 46 Points: 5,172, Level: 46
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The timing bar and pin are used for a reason. They are cheap and easy to acquire. You might want to check for valve damage due to the slipping. I have the ford workshop instructions for this procedure, if you want I can send it to you.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM

Bookmarks & Social Networks