ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #121
focusmmuter
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42492
What I Drive: 2002 Mach Audio Edition

FF Reputation: 1 focusmmuter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey guys. I put in my timing belt, tensioner, idler in November '10, with 113,000 mi. Followed this thing almost verbatim. I skipped the water pump. I did at a very leisure pace, took about 7hrs. I took off the crank bolt via a ratchet and clicking the ignition a few times. Cracked loose very easily. I used the cam bar and it was tricky to get on but it helped. Needed no timing pin, just painted marks on belt, cam gears, and crank. I was at loss when i realized how the hell i would tighten the crank bolt, but my dad ended up having a impact wrench in his junk stash so I lucked out. Good luck!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #122
bizzehdee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83812
What I Drive: 2000W Black ZETEC CL

FF Reputation: 1 bizzehdee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i got my timing belt replaced 3 weeks ago, was going to do it myself, but couldnt be bothered and didnt want to arse it up, so i paid a friend to do it, wasnt actually anything visibly wrong with the old one when we took it out.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #123
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45853
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

Points 645, Level 12
Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 oshoguno Good Standing Member
I am thinking of doing mine this spring (220,000km) since I have to do the valve cover gasket due to an oil leak. My main worry is getting the balancer off. I do have a couple of questions that I hope you all don't mind answering.

Where is the best place to buy the alignment kit (online)?

When in the compression stroke the lobes of the cams for #1 both point away from the center of the engine (intake to the rear and exhaust to the front) correct?

Is there any other common problems that creep up? (frequently seized, rusted or stripped bolts - stuck parts - etc.)

What would my biggest worry be for doing something incorrectly? I have the "normal" zetec so I am not worried about dinging the valves.

I think this is a great writeup and found it (and will find it) very informative and useful. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #124
shrek20035
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86534
What I Drive: 2000 focus red

FF Reputation: 1 shrek20035 Good Standing Member
great post

very thorough and helpful great job!!! keep up the great work
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #125
Jon_SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34787
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT Focus

Points 587, Level 11
Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Jon_SVT Good Standing Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshoguno View Post
I am thinking of doing mine this spring (220,000km) since I have to do the valve cover gasket due to an oil leak. My main worry is getting the balancer off. I do have a couple of questions that I hope you all don't mind answering.

Where is the best place to buy the alignment kit (online)?

When in the compression stroke the lobes of the cams for #1 both point away from the center of the engine (intake to the rear and exhaust to the front) correct?

Is there any other common problems that creep up? (frequently seized, rusted or stripped bolts - stuck parts - etc.)

What would my biggest worry be for doing something incorrectly? I have the "normal" zetec so I am not worried about dinging the valves.

I think this is a great writeup and found it (and will find it) very informative and useful. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Lets start here....... BUY THIS!!!

http://focus.c-f-m.com/freeshippinga...csvtst170.aspx

It is guaranteed to save you about a million swear words, and multiple "second thoughts" on stuff you're going to do to try and jimmy up a solution for not having the proper tools. It's super easy though. It can only go in the cams ONE way, which is TDC on the head side...... and the pin that screws in the bottom goes in, you turn the crank until it hits, done... TDC in the block. Put your belt on and you're laughing.

I did mine at 190,000kms and my belt was literally on the verge of snapping. There were cracks in multiple places, and one long one that went the length of the belt. Not good! While you're in there though, you could do a serpentine belt replacement.... waterpump, pulleys and tensioners while you're at it. I picked up alll parts for maybe $200? check out www.rockauto.com :) If you have any more questions feel free to ask away. I did it myself, was extremely skeptical.... but after all was said and done, my car now drives like the day I bought it (at 54,000kms) and she's at 205,000kms :)
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #126
boarder
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59144
What I Drive: 2003 Screamin Demon SVT eap

FF Reputation: 1 boarder Good Standing Member
on the timing belt tensioner there is a zero point and what appears to be 30* either direction from this. I just had a friend do my timing belt and he had set it at zero and it ran fine for about a week. Than just the other day it appeared to slip timing again, would the tensioner being on zero and the belt 'stretching' after use cause it to slip timing again? Thanks!
$6000
Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #127
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,291, Level 46
Points: 5,291, Level: 46 Points: 5,291, Level: 46 Points: 5,291, Level: 46
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
It appears that it neve was in time to begin with. Did he follow the instructions on putting on the tensioner? Did he loosen the cam gears?
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 10-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #128
Rob axel
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90670
What I Drive: 08 f-250 van

FF Reputation: 1 Rob axel Good Standing Member
I am new here and loved this write up! GREAT JOB! I will be doing my daughters 03 focus Zetec belt soon and this is a great place to start...I also discovered this on U-tube...it follows this procedure pretty closely and assists with procedures... There is a part 1 and 2
Hope it helps anyone that is more "visual" with their learning process...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4IgVvfovhA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rRKtcM6fLB4
I have done a couple of belt replacements on 2.0 VWs using the "mark and transfer" method.... works "ok" if the belt has not jumped or broken...I honestly like this method using the bolt and bar, and can understand why you would break the cam gears loose...as it was stated here earlier..."correct timing"...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #129
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

Points 42,170, Level 100
Points: 42,170, Level: 100 Points: 42,170, Level: 100 Points: 42,170, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Glad this has helped so many of you.

It's been 102k miles and changed the belt, pulley and tensioner, water pump along with the upper and lower radiator hoses. One observation I noticed, the crank shaft key was at the TDC position along with hitting the pin. Did not notice this last time. Also found out the power steering pump shaft seal is leaking. No one had it in stock. It will have to be replaced soon thou. I'm finding small drops of fluid on the driveway.

Last edited by lhc_focus; 11-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #130
Focus'd
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57543
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Focus'd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I tried doing it without the timing pin and used a flat file for the cans but when I started it , it sounds LIKE my car super agressive cams. Lesson learned, I have the pin and cam bar on order from the OP's link. It deifintley sucks having done all that work for nothing lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.