2000 Zetec Intake Manifold Leak :( - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
jtlefebvre
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 178401
What I Drive: 2003 Black Chevy Monte Carlo LS

FF Reputation: 1 jtlefebvre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 Zetec Intake Manifold Leak :(

Hi gang,
My roommate came to me asking me about why her car is overheating. Took a look underneath and it was leaking antifreeze badly underneath the intake manifold area. Looks like she needs a gasket repair. I think I can do the job myself as I once rebuilt a 3.4L DOHC Chevy engine in my old Monte Carlo. My question is, is it possible to remove the intake and do the fix without having to take the engine out of the car? Or do I have to take the engine out? Of course, everything is easier to do when you take the engine out, but, I've never done it before and I'm not sure how hard that is (probably easy but first times are always like "owwwww". lol So if you have any insight, let me know. I have ALLDATA repair and the directions it game me were pretty dumb common sense but stated that it was shown with motor outside the car soooo..

Let me know if it's possible?

Thank you guys!

Johnnie LeFebvre

p.s. First time post for Ford! Woot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to General Tech Chat.

Need to find where it's leaking from first, not sure what gasket you might be thinking of.

S.R. #275
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
Check t stat housing could be source of leak most likely.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
jtlefebvre
Focus Rookie

@Sailor
The intake manifolds usually have gaskets in between the intake itself and the heads of the motor. I'm assuming this one has one of those. My experience on GM motors leads me to believe that this should have one as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

@Fierceintent
Good call, the Thermostat housing certainly could be leaking too and I'll check into that. This motor has over 153,000 miles on it. Are these Zetec motors known for failed gasket issues? According to Youtube videos, it seems as if the Thermostat housing is a common problem with these motors (luckily an easier and cheaper fix).

Until I can get under the hood of the car again and take a look, I'd like to know if it is possible to work on the intake manifold without taking off the cover, cam carrier just to gain access to the head.

My old roomie lives about 45 miles away so I can't jump under the car as quickly as running outside. So I'm doing all my research now before I know where to look and what to look for. But I definitely know that the T-housing is a very big possibility so thanks Fierceintent for bringing that up.

-J
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
dave89iroc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137681
FF Reputation: 4 dave89iroc Good Standing Member
No coolant in the intake on a zetev iirc, there is a hose the runs under it, the t-stat is at the trans end of the head, and the plastic water housing the t-stat housing bolts to also is a common problem
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Dave called out likely suspects along with Fierceintent, these are pretty typical for a DOHC 4 Cy. without much similarity to a V engine.

Cams ride in the head, with cam caps to hold 'em in position, and the cover just keeps the oil in & isn't in the way of servicing anything.

Dry intake like most Focus types, SOHC "SPI" has a hose fed coolant section for the exception.

Only gasket holding coolant is the head gasket, never seen water pour out even from a "blown" one on any engine so even though overheat (serious) can cause damage there it isn't likely the source for a bad leak.

I'd bet with them on thermostat housing and/or hose.

S.R. #275
Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
jtlefebvre
Focus Rookie

Thumbs up

@Sailor
Thank you for clarifying these for me. I guess I'm dealing with a much simpler engine than I've previously been used to. This is nice. Seems like this is a pretty solid 4 banger engine if you ask me. This car had great pickup (I helped her pick out a solid car and talked the dealer down :) )

It's like the engine is so much simpler than what I'm used to that I'm "expecting" the worst... Maybe I should stop messing around with big Chevy motors..? ... ... NAH!! HAHAHA!! FYI, the new SHO Engine is the bomb digity

@Dave
Thanks for relaying that info to me. I've got a pretty good idea now about the motor itself. I was looking at a diagram and a few pictures on the web with a youtube video I saw here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLMfD927fE

I'm thinking that this is probably the issue. I definitely need to get under the car and wipe down what I see there now and check for water or wetness on that thermostat... but from what I could remember, I could see the Thermostat Housing from underneath the car and thinking, "What is this?" not knowing or thinking what it could be but knew it had to be part of the cooling mechanism.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Big Chevy is more than you need for a Focus, though a few have done RWD conversions for fun.

My 2.3 Duratec hung with an early '80's Monte Carlo at the drags, but that's stock to stock against one that wasn't the fastest new.

Zetec has a good rep. for durability, and is pretty simple for what it is. That thermostat housing is off the trans. end of the head, and is a weak point as they age.

Cheers

S.R. #275
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
upstatefocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 170314
What I Drive: 2006 Gray Zx3 Manual

FF Reputation: 1 upstatefocus Good Standing Member
My Saturn had a bad thermostat leak due to a gasket, definitely fits the symptoms.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Anything to be fixed there leave intake on engine and motor in car, all work done underneath it unless heater core is leaking, you'll love that one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->