Crank sensor wiring - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
spacemanspif
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 188025
What I Drive: 2007 ZXW SES

Points 207, Level 4
Points: 207, Level: 4 Points: 207, Level: 4 Points: 207, Level: 4
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 1 spacemanspif Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Crank sensor wiring

I'm thinking about installing a kill switch and interrupting the crank position signal as the way to do it. Just wondering what pin/wire of the comp/harness is the crank position sensor's on an 07 2.0 duratec? I'll run a relay in line for the sensor and control it's ground through the kill switch. Also, other than throwing a code, are there other problems that this could create? Like, does the sensor need to be recalibrated or anything when the switch is used? Or does everything go back to normal once the wire is "reconnected"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,689, Level 86
Points: 18,689, Level: 86 Points: 18,689, Level: 86 Points: 18,689, Level: 86
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 50 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You mean that needing a coded key isn't safe enough?

I don't know what you think you're going to accomplish, but it won't be much other than another headache for us when your shit breaks and you ask us for help to fix it.
Leave wellenough alone and just drive it.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
spacemanspif
Focus Enthusiast

Points 207, Level 4
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
My shit doesn't break very often and I know well enough to fix it on my own most times. I join forums because I know how to search and look for characteristic problems and address them before they arise. Luckily these cars seem to mostly have non-critical problems like hatch wiring which I already fixed and trunk buttons that I don't care about. I want to know the wire and possible issue so I can shut the engine down on long coasts and at red lights to save gas. Using a momentary switch to control the relay for the sensor should kill the engine quickly without me having to cycle the key a million times. Let's not get into whether or not what I am doing is dangerous or worth it, I'm doing it already using my key, I'm trying to not wear out the ignition and accomplish the same thing.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
polygon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 190425
What I Drive: 2005, silver, Focus II

Points 182, Level 3
Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 polygon Good Standing Member
If you really need to do this, can't you connect the kill switch in series with the inertia switch ?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,689, Level 86
Points: 18,689, Level: 86 Points: 18,689, Level: 86 Points: 18,689, Level: 86
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 50 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Hmmm,
but how will you restart the car?

Do you see where you'll save no ware on the cylinder? You're still going to be turning it.

And I'm not concerned with your safety in the least. It's those you share the road with that I am. Perhaps you may want to think of them just a bit. Please.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:33 AM   #6
polygon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 182, Level 3
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
OK, I so answered before you posted the reasons for wanting to do this. The only remark I will make is that you must never switch off engine when the car is moving. I'm assuming that coasting is the same as cruising, the term we use over here.

CKP re-sync is done automatically with a notch on the crank pulley or the flywheel, depending where the CKP is mounted.

I also believe you have a 3-wire CKP, the digital variant. In this case, the outer pins are the V-Ref and V-Gnd while the middle pin is the V-Out. All wires terminate on the PCM but the actual pin-outs may vary, depending on the engine code and the PCM version. But you should be able to trace them with a continuity tester.

Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #7
spacemanspif
Focus Enthusiast

Points 207, Level 4
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Thanks polygon, so what you are saying is that once the wire of choice is "reconnected" everything will function like normal? I would normally not be concerned but in searching for crank sensor stuff on here I found the how-to on replacing the sensor and since it's the most complicated sensor replacement I've ever seen, thought I should make sure there wouldn't be a problem with essentially creating a broken wire in the system many times per drive. I'll probably break the ground wire, snow coming so I won't be doing anything too soon but wanted to get my ducks in row ahead of time.

In reference to the inertia switch: the engine won't die immediately when the fuel pump is stopped and can make for long crank restarts if the pump doesn't build up enough pressure on the reprime. I don't like to be a nuisance on the road while hyperming so I need things to get back to normal quickly so I don't get shot while not racing away immediately after the light turns green...
Old 01-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
polygon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 182, Level 3
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
...so what you are saying is that once the wire of choice is "reconnected" everything will function like normal?
Although shutting off an engine in that manner is uncharted territory for me, I'm certain that the engine will find its reference position once the CKP is reconnected and you start cranking. There is no default crank position when an engine stops and it's no different from turning the crank pulley by hand and then start - the CKP uses the notch or missing tooth to handshake the reference point with the PCM.

As far as I can determine, the only drawback with your method is that you're going to drive the PCM crazy. Test extensively and keep the additional wiring and relay contacts to minimum resistance as you're dealing with low and fast changing voltages (9-12V) if you plan to use the V-Out. Like you said, the Gnd seems to be a better choice.

You might also find helpful the detailed wiring schematics that I uploaded here -

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...90919440442592
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...55401029449204
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...84803623753334

They basically cover everything electrical for a wide range of Focus engines and I hope that your specific model is somewhere in there.

And you are absolutely right about the inertia switch and the only reason I mentioned it was because I thought you're doing this for additional security. Anyways, good luck with your project and let us know how it goes once it's set up.

Cheers
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,863, Level 74
Points: 12,863, Level: 74 Points: 12,863, Level: 74 Points: 12,863, Level: 74
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Crank sensor wiring doesn't seem like a wonderful way to shut it down, how about power to the PCM as used to turn it on & off with the key?

S.R. #275 Focus Takeover #003
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
spacemanspif
Focus Enthusiast

Points 207, Level 4
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Thanks polygon, I'll have to download them when I get off work and can get on my computer.

Sailer: I'm open to all options but will interrupting PCM power cause my dome light to come on and headlamps go off? Trying to maintain good visibility while driving (another issue with using the key). The usual way to do this on an older car is to replace the injector fuse with spades, inline fuse and your switch. Thus stalling the engine when the injectors lose power. But we don't have that on the Focus as far as I can tell from the owners manual so I'm looking into other options and one person on a different site said that interrupting the crank sensor has been working perfectly on his Subaru so I thought I'd explore that avenue on these cars.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.