How to do a full rear seat delete with hardwood - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
kicker226
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65786
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT ZX5 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 kicker226 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
How to do a full rear seat delete with hardwood

OK, so here goes the first write up. This is how to do a full rear seat delete with one solid piece of plywood. I covered mine with a mixture of hardwood flooring and Pergo flooring. Some pictures will be from a camera phone because all I have is a DSLR with a zoom lens.

Things you will need.

1 - 4'X8' of plywood.

Jigsaw

Table saw

10 - Screws I just used 2" but you need at least a 1 1/2"

Tape Measure

Pencil

Caulk line

level

cordless drill

To get started, obviously you will need to take out your back seats. With the way I did my plywood, I was not able to get to my spare tire, so I took everything out and just left a hole, that will probably be filled with audio equipment at a later date.*

Now you can either take measurements or you can buy the pattern I made for $30 shipped (this pattern will only be good for 00-04 confirmed. I will have someone check with 05-07. my pattern is short of the sides by the front seats because a sheet of plywood is only 48" and the widest spot is like 51 1/2" but it didnít matter for me because I was not using carpet but wood flooring). But mark out on your sheet of plywood where you took your measurements. Since the front is wider, you have to find the center of the back and then put the center of your measurement on the center of the plywood. After the plywood is marked, go ahead and cut it. Now, the sheet of plywood will not fit in the car at this point. You have to cut the sheet in half, if you want to get to your spare tire, I would probably cut the sheet in half hamburger style(wide ways). but if you donít care, I cut mine hotdog style (long ways).

I do not have a picture of this step, but you need to cut the piece of plywood that goes down by the cup holder on the back of the center console. ill see if I can get one soon. I just held up the plywood level while my friend measured down to the floor and marked it out on the plywood.

place the plywood in the car.

line up the front of the piece of plywood with the piece that goes down to the floor. them screw them together.

Here you can either cover with carpet, or you can put hardwood in it or whatever you want to do.

if you are going to proceed with hardwood this is the easiest way to do it.

Put your first piece in or put your trim piece in, I used a trim piece because I think it looks nicer. I would suggest to put a trim piece in the back to hold the plywood up so it doesnít sink into the spare tire well. take a tape measure and measure back from the front trim to the back, and make sure the number is the same so that it makes your life easier later. (I work construction and do a lot of flooring and a lot of framing, trust me your life will be hell if you donít.

Once you get the same numbers go ahead and fasten your back piece of trim.

you can wither make everything tight or you can make it loose and put a piece of trim around the out side, I am going to use quarter round the same color as the Pergo. It is made out of composite wood so it will bend easier than real wood.

either way, take a piece of cardboard and keep cutting it until the cardboard fits in the way you like it. take the piece of cardboard and trace it on the Pergo. cut the Pergo and install until you are done.

put all flooring in on the top and the front. if you are using a trim piece put that in, wipe it down and you're all done.

*disclaimer, if you take your spare tire out, I am not responsible for when you get a flat tire and have to call someone to bring it to you. also, follow all rules using tools, wear gloves, safety glasses. most of all be safe, and donít hurt yourself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
ltr450man
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91419
What I Drive: 2001 Silver SE SPI

FF Reputation: 1 ltr450man Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That turned out good!

Nice write up!!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
frednumber15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83585
What I Drive: 2003 2dr ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 frednumber15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've done this kind of thing on another car...hinging a piece of wafer board at the back and making a storage area under it. Removing the seats allowed a loss of a good bit of weight too.

...and I am unanimous in that position.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Moved to First Generation Focus Interior Mods and Upgrades Chat. Ford Focus Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. Thanks for posting!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
kicker226
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65786
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT ZX5 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 kicker226 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Moved to First Generation Focus Interior Mods and Upgrades Chat. Ford Focus Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. Thanks for posting!
i didnt know.... thats where the hot to stickies are so that thats where i put it... thanks for the heads up

Bookmarks & Social Networks