What Should I Buy? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
FordV8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 161506
What I Drive: Ford

FF Reputation: 1 FordV8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What Should I Buy?

Hello everyone, I'm new here. (I didn't say hello in the new member forum because I don't own a Focus.)

I'm looking to buy either a Focus or Civic in the next few weeks, but I cannot decide. I go back and fourth day to day; sometimes buy the hour. I decided to sell my F150 because my job/career hasn't been stable the past year, and when my employer does have work its usually 100 miles one way. I've had to get rid of some of my other toys also, so I don't need a truck anyway now. I received more for my truck than either one of these cars cost new, so now all I need to do is make a decision. I have driven both and prefer the ride of the Civic, but feel that the Focus is "less of a dog" so to speak. If I get the Civic, it will be an EX. If I get the Focus it will be an SE. I will go with the 5-speed manual for either car. I don't think the CVT in the Honda has proven itself, and I don't like the dual-clutch in the Focus because it just feels foreign to me. I guess I could get used to it, but I'd rather just get the manual. Furthermore, I dislike the digital speedometer in the Civic and I don't like the radio set-up in the Focus at all.

So, both have their pluses and minuses. For me they both get a tie score by driving them and looking at them. I don't find either one beautiful, and its not going to be a purchase that I'm exited to make like getting a Mustang or F-150. It is just a practical decision; I need something to get me from point A to B and back.

Reliability and residual value are the last two deciding factors for me. I know a few Civic owners and they have nothing but good things to say about them. One guy I used to work with bought a Civic with 300,000 miles on the clock, and then put over another 100,000 on, and it was still running when I lost touch with him. If I decide to go with the Civic, it is going to cost me a few thousand dollars more, but I don't care if it is the better car. I can see myself putting 200,000 miles on the compact that I buy. Now, I know that the Civic is going to be worth more when I am done with it, but I'm willing to overlook this fact if the Focus is more reliable. I probably will always keep the car for errands when I get another truck again anyway.

So I guess I'm just asking for your experiences with the Focus. Is it a lot better than it used to be? Anyone have a lot of miles on the current model? Gas millage? Major repairs? . . . or maybe I overlooked something on the Civic that will make it a deal-breaker when comparing with the Focus. I could have because I never really followed compacts and sedans that closely. I think globally, Ford sells more Focus cars now than Honda does Civics, so that says something I guess. I just always try to buy the best product I can, so this purchase will be no different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
well, sounds like you don't want either of them.

in my opinion, I think the new civic is ugly. I like the focus look, but not as much as the older generation.

stick with the manual transmission.

other than that, there is a million thread on the Mk3 focus. Search, Search, Search. just be wary of the small but very VOCAL minority that will be trashing the mk3 focus (specifically the dualclutch transmission). yes there are problems, but there are many more people who are happy with it who aren t so vocal on the forums

regarding residual cost. ya the focus will be worth less in 10 years, but you'll but it for much less. actual depreciation in $$ per year will be similar to the civic
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Stick for sure, particularly since you lean that way anyways.

If you look up in the "Purchasing center" section you'll find threads showing some REAL low numbers for deal pricing on the Focus right now - as in Thousands off sticker.

If they weren't selling so cheap for new right now I'd mention checking out the earlier ones used, '06-'07 looks better to me than the '08-'11 sedans & coupes - they all have the dependable & sporty Duratec engine, nicer than the Honda single cam engines. Haven't tried the latest Hondas, didn't like the '08 the Wife had as much as my '04 with a 2.3 Duratec. Quicker & more comfortable with nice light steering feel & handling.

S.R. #275
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Have you considered the Mazda 3? I would say it looks nicer than either of the other 2 options and reviews very well as well. Maybe you would like the interior features and ride better as well, who knows. It should also have higher resale value than the Focus.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Even though it's dynamically much less interesting, based on the needs you've mentioned, I'd go Civic.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
well, sounds like you don't want either of them.

in my opinion, I think the new civic is ugly. I like the focus look, but not as much as the older generation.

stick with the manual transmission.

other than that, there is a million thread on the Mk3 focus. Search, Search, Search. just be wary of the small but very VOCAL minority that will be trashing the mk3 focus (specifically the dualclutch transmission). yes there are problems, but there are many more people who are happy with it who aren t so vocal on the forums

regarding residual cost. ya the focus will be worth less in 10 years, but you'll but it for much less. actual depreciation in $$ per year will be similar to the civic
Very well said^^^^^^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
W/ your user name, How 'bout a '32 deuce w/ a hopped up flathead? Thats what I get.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A base model Focus can be bought new for around $11k, an SE for $12-sh. A Civic will be significantly more.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
SaraHolly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 155810
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 SaraHolly Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Have you considered the Mazda 3? I would say it looks nicer than either of the other 2 options and reviews very well as well. Maybe you would like the interior features and ride better as well, who knows. It should also have higher resale value than the Focus.

Before I bought my '14 Focus I had a 2005 Mazda 3s hatch and I LOVED it! Worst part about that car was it was an auto and a pile of rust. They are notorious for rusting. I was considering the new 2014 Mazda 3 hatch or sedan since the facelift is gorgeous. But on the hatch it's butt-ugly! The front looks great but the back reminds me of an Audi A3 but more complex.

What really sucks with the new Mazda's is the trim packages with the engines. You cannot get a stick in the 2.5L fully loaded or without leather, or something like that. And if you move from the smaller engine to the 2.5, you also pay an extra 5 grand, no thanks. The trim levels really suck. The front dash is really ugly with the media screen above the dash, yack!

Unless you're willing to drop about 27k on a loaded Mazda with a stick, I'd stick with the Ford.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
SaraHolly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 155810
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 SaraHolly Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
A base model Focus can be bought new for around $11k, an SE for $12-sh. A Civic will be significantly more.
WHA?! A new Focus MSRP begins at 16k and the new Civic starts at 18k...

I doubt you can find a base model Focus for 11.

Last edited by SaraHolly; 05-07-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: money on my mind..

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->