change in steering "feel" - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2004, 03:28 AM   #1
JimiC
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1558
What I Drive: Focus 2.0i

FF Reputation: 1 JimiC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
change in steering "feel"

hi, ive been quiet for a few months as im mostly happy with the car ;)

but ...

a few days ago i drove over a slight step in the tarmac (going from new road surface to old in roadworks), not a big step and not at speed, but braking fairly heavily. the car let out an almighty great "clang" from somewhere under there, it would have been exactly like hitting a really loose manhole cover, except that i felt the clang through the whole car rather than through the steering.

i stopped, looked under the bonnet but couldnt see anything obviously wrong or out of place, and went off with the suspicion that perhaps the steering felt strange. just the other day whilst accelerating quickly out of a junction turning right it let out another noise.

i looked around under the bonnet again and have found a loose plastic gaurd in the front left wheel arch, but nothing else. ive actually been back to the same places to inspect the road where i noticed these things and cant see any reason for it there.

now, from the very first moment i had the sensation that the steering felt different, and now im sure. im getting more feedback from the road, and have to put more effort in to maintain a straight line when driving over slightly uneven surfaces. plus, the power steering used to emit that kind of buzzing noise when turning the wheel, and now doesnt.

i still have guarantee at the place i bought it, and wanted to take it to the main dealer before this runs out anyway. but can anyone give me a clue as to what it could be? as you can understand, the steering isnt something i can ignore and if it has something wrong (im sure something has happened) then it needs to be fixed.

car is a european 3-door 2.0 zetec, probably very similar to the ZX3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 03:55 AM   #2
FiiZh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5132
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FiiZh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well that loose plastic guard is most likely your splash guard which is in place to keep your air intake system clean. . .as for the steering problem, something in the column could ahve been knocked loose or out of alignment in your little bump. If it is the power steering, that should def. be under warranrty, so all I cna say is get it to your dealer as soon as possible to prevent any further damage. good luck.
-andrew
Old 06-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #3
dsk02c

Fan#: 6704
What I Drive: .. what?

FF Reputation: 1 dsk02c Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what he said.

good work, fiizh.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:01 AM   #4
FiiZh
Focus Enthusiast