torque specs - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
madddogg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9265
What I Drive: 2004 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 madddogg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
torque specs

Hello all,

I'm a newbie, looking for some info. Just picked up my 04 PZEV ZTS on Monday. Already loving it. I've got a ways to go before I really open it up (only 350 miles so far), but I am looking forward to feeling this puppy move. My previous car was a 94 Volvo 855 Turbo. That was a sweet ride, total sleeper. 220 hp Turbo. Loved that car. It got to be a maintenence issue though, with 130k on the dial. So I traded it in, and got my ZTS. Hopefully I can kill some rice with this Focus the way I did with the Volvo. God I'm gonna miss the look on those ricer's faces when the Volvo station wagon just smoked em!

Anyway, I got mucho experience maintaining that Volvo, and one of the things that the Volvo community really stressed was proper torqueing of nuts and bolts. I've done some looking around on this board and have found all kinds of great info, but I haven't seen anybody talking about torque specs of the various nuts and bolts you all have inevitably changed. The torque specs I am looking for are not published in my manual, and I can't find them on this site. Maybe we can compile a list and get it sticky? I know I would certainly appreciate it.

So, here are a few torque specs I am requesting of the community. Please only post specs that you know to be fact, from a reputable source (like a true service manual). And if you have other specs, post those, too. I'm sure there are many nuts and bolts on this car that will need to be torqued properly.

Thanks!

-Jason

Wheel Lug Nuts:
Oil Pan Drain Bolt:
Front Caliper Mounting Bolts:
Front Caliper Slides:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
When I got my new wheels I torqued them to about 90 ft-lbs. That's all I know from the list and they are on good and tight... maybe some of the more techy people can help you out with the rest.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9408
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 PZEV 5Sp.

FF Reputation: 7 BornAgainFordOwner Good Standing Member
Torque Specs

I have the 2004 Focus Shop Manual. (It's $155 from Helm, Inc.)

Wheel lug nuts - 94 lb-ft.
Oil pan drain plug - 21 lb-ft.
Oil filter box seems to contain the only filter tightening specs - 3/4 turn after gasket contact.
Front disk brake caliper retaining bolts (not SVT) - 21 lb-ft.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
madddogg
Focus Rookie

Re: Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by BornAgainFordOwner
I have the 2004 Focus Shop Manual. (It's $155 from Helm, Inc.)

Wheel lug nuts - 94 lb-ft.
Oil filter box seems to contain the only filter tightening specs - 3/4 turn after gasket contact.
Front disk brake caliper retaining bolts (not SVT) - 21 lb-ft.

Brilliant! Thanks much. This is exactly the sort of specs I was looking for.

How would you rate the manual? I have had Chiltons and Haynes manuals in the past, never an official one like this. My experience with the Chiltons and Haynes manuals has been that they have been good for things like torque specs and such, but can sometimes lack in image quality and descriptions of repair processes.

Anyone buy one of these DVD's on ebay? Are they legit? http://tinyurl.com/237l6

Can anyone recommend a shop manual?

Thanks again,

-Jason
Old 06-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #5
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Re: Torque Specs

I've probably bought a dozen factory shop manuals over the years from most manufactures. They're all pretty good about details, including pictures. They are what the dealer mechanics rely on. The only surprise I had with the Focus manual is that it did not include "out of vehicle" engine overhaul instructions. I certainly hope to never have to overhaul the pistons or crankshaft though. The main shop manual is about 2 1/2 " thick, the emissions manual is about the same, and the wiring schematics is about 3/4" thick. The emissions manual covers all 2004 Ford gasoline engines and contains a lot of operational theory and troubleshooting flow charts. All three manuals are about $350.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member

might want to check that again.. I think it is supposed to be 21 inch pounds. I can't imagine that the oil plug would be 21 ft lbs.
ST crew #18
Old 06-21-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

I just double checked and 21 lb-ft is correct. Thats within the typical range for most cars. My Celica is 27 lb-ft, and my one daughter's Vue is 18 lb-ft, while my other daughter's Civic is 29 lb-ft. The Focus and the Vue have aluminum oil pans while the Celica and Civic have steel.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
madddogg
Focus Rookie

Speaking of an aluminum oil pan, do our Foci have an aluminum washer on the plug? If so, do you replace yours at every change? On my previous car, 94 Volvo 850 Turbo, it was recommended to replace the washer each time.

-Jason
Old 06-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
dsk02c

Fan#: 6704
What I Drive: .. what?

FF Reputation: 1 dsk02c Good Standing Member
i know nothing.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
ILLINI zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2521
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black ZX3...86 Regatta Blue Lincoln Mark VII

FF Reputation: 1 ILLINI zx3 Good Standing Member
i went on ebay and got the DVDs. I got a set that contains the shop manuals for every ford/lincoln/mercury from 92 to 04...

It was well worth it, I think I paid $80

Bookmarks & Social Networks