Muffler Only No Cat Back - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
ferraristyle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7821
What I Drive: '01 Focus SE, 05 Nissan Pathfinder

FF Reputation: 1 ferraristyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Muffler Only No Cat Back

Have the SPI with Automatic Transmission. Already have the 60mmTB with Volant CAI. I'm going to wait for the chip so I get some more aggressive shift points. Which brings me to my point.

I just don't feel that the cat back exhaust would be a good mod to do considering the amount of HP you'll get; let alone that I feel you won't get to see the performance in an auto. If it were a manual yes, but for the auto I just don't think so. Plus it's the fiance's car and sometimes she drives slow enough to drive Miss Daisy. Therefore I was thinking about just getting a glasspack added from a local muffler shop for like $100.

What are your ideas on a good brand of muffler that will give some descent sound as well as a good look?

Thanks!

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
HIN Showcar

"...it's not how you stand by your car; it's how you race your car..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
NR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8782
What I Drive: 2002 twilight blue zx3 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 NR Good Standing Member
i dunno, you might get that bumblebee sound most civics on the street have since you're still gonna have the pea shooter stock tubing.
custom magnaflow cat-back(3 inch pipe), steeda lowering springs, mac shorty intake, focus firepower ignition and livewires, autolite platinum sparkplugs, reverse indiglo gauges, painted stock rims wrapped on sumitomos HTRZII, shorty antenna, mintex pads, aeroquip brake hoses, ebc rotors, no resonator, debadged, limo tinted, halo headlights, steeda short shifter, 4-2-1 race header, W-TYP sideskirts, S2 side mouldings, mazda tribute door handles
Old 06-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Code415

Fan#:
Dont.

Leave the exhaust alone if you dont plan on adding a catback. It will sound terrible and offer absolutely NO perfromance gains.

Now if somewhere down the road you think you are gonna get a header or orp you might as well start saving for the full catback.

My exhaust will be 90percent complete on July 10th. I have had the FS exhaust for 3 years and I am adding the shorty header and off road pipe.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
KoRnGtL15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4258
What I Drive: 05 Mazda 3i

FF Reputation: 1 KoRnGtL15 Good Standing Member
Like everyone is saying dont do it. It will sound like poo and no gains. Why wouldnt you want to get a cat back? I mean your saying your gonna get a chip. You will get some better gains with that on there also. I personally cant wait for it to come out from fs. Ive got an auto also. But with more agressive shifting and pulling at higher rpms. Unlike how stock cuts you off with it :/ It will be great :)
Old 06-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
ferraristyle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7821
What I Drive: '01 Focus SE, 05 Nissan Pathfinder

FF Reputation: 1 ferraristyle Good Standing Member
Yea, maybe I'll wait for the chip to come out, then make the decision then. It's just when I added the 60mm tb and then the volant intake I was expecting more. If this car was manual, I'm sure I'd be enjoying it more, but it's the little lady's and she's not a very aggressive driver.....(gotta try to change that)

Anyway, going to do some other cheap mods like the focussport wires and some NGK-R plugs. Hopefully the chip will be out in a month or so.

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
HIN Showcar

"...it's not how you stand by your car; it's how you race your car..."
Old 06-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #6
KoRnGtL15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4258
What I Drive: 05 Mazda 3i

FF Reputation: 1 KoRnGtL15 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ferraristyle
Yea, maybe I'll wait for the chip to come out, then make the decision then. It's just when I added the 60mm tb and then the volant intake I was expecting more. If this car was manual, I'm sure I'd be enjoying it more, but it's the little lady's and she's not a very aggressive driver.....(gotta try to change that)

Anyway, going to do some other cheap mods like the focussport wires and some NGK-R plugs. Hopefully the chip will be out in a month or so.
Yeah like I said. Since we have autos. A chip will really help us out. Im sure a nite and day difference. Ill ive got on mine is intake exhaust and spark plug wires. My udp and tb will be here for me at the end of the month! Then after that. Headers and a chip. Then ill probably call it a day for the spi.

Bookmarks & Social Networks