How-To flush ATX fluid and change filter - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #31
thedashingbuddha
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32993
What I Drive: 2004 Red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 thedashingbuddha Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I did, I'm guessing that over time my hose had fused itself. It completely would not move. It wouldn't mover forward or backwards even with the tab depressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
tryingtoregister
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59099
What I Drive: 2002 gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtoregister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what happens if you overfill it?

I changed the ATF, put in the recommended amount (according to the manual) and now there's too much. What do I do?
Update: it was easier than I thought. Just got at siphon pump in the autoparts store and removed the extra fluid from the filler tube.

Last edited by tryingtoregister; 06-14-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: solved it.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #33
rkjjeep
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42046
What I Drive: 2007 Silver 5 door

FF Reputation: 2 rkjjeep Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrun View Post
No leaks so far...
Hey - your Focus here is Right Hand drive!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #34
tiger61378
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54476
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3 Sport

FF Reputation: 3 tiger61378 Good Standing Member
Great writeup...the pics really help me out too, since I'm going to be changing my Trans Solenoid A today (and there's no pics for that fix).

EDIT: Damn, so easy a caveman could do it! LOL...I swear, this was easier than changing my oil...at least everything is accessable (unlike the oil filter on my Zetec engine).
Hatchback Lover #53

Last edited by tiger61378; 04-01-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #35
flipwilly2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57010
What I Drive: '08 Silver Frost Metallic SES

FF Reputation: 2 flipwilly2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Great writeup focusrun!

Really thorough writeup! I have an '08 that recommends a 150K mile tranny service. It uses Mercon LV (low viscosity) fluid @ $6+ a qt. I bought a new pan and a B&M drain plug for about $35. The plug has a nut and washer and inserts into a hole drilled in the pan. I had mine welded in and ground down the inside of the plug so I could drain the most fluid out. I drain the 3 qts. out of the pan every 15K to 20K and, if it's like my Escape, the fluid stays nice and clean! I'm not going along with the 150K mile servicing-it scares me! You do need an 1/8"
pipe plug for the drain plug.

Wife's: '08 SES, Airaid SRI, no resonator, SCT tuned
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #36
texanfocus555
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 74904
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 1 texanfocus555 Good Standing Member
What I did with mine was wrap the teeth on my pair of Channelocks with a rag and slowly inch it off of the connection on the cooler. It will take time, patience and some good ol' human muscle, but you can do it!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #37
mit44
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 75397
What I Drive: 2007 light grey Fusion plus

FF Reputation: 1 mit44 Good Standing Member
Automatic transaxles with no dipstick

Hello,
I just bought a (European) Ford Fusion 1,6 L, 100 hp, here in France, and it was rather difficult to find which automatic gearbox it has. That must be the 4F27e (same as Mazda FN4-EL).
At the moment, the car is at my car's dealer, who is going to prepare it. Is has two years and half, and has less than 6.000 km.
I absolutely wanted a gearbox with a dipstick. Thanks God, it has got one.
And on the net, I found the wonderfull post of focusrun, with the pictures... Fine !

I can run only automatic cars because of my left leg. Since 1969, I had 8 cars: I like to keep them several years.

So, It would be better for me to find an American forum for the Ford automatic transaxles, if I have some problems some days, for few people buy cars with automatic transmission in France.
I did not manage to find a forum about the Fusion but as I saw the awesome post by focusrun, I signed here.

The European Ford Fusion is just like a Fiesta, a little bigger: a lot of them here:
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/ford/sujet2871.htm

When I signed in on this forum, I was not sure my 4F27e would have a dipstick. And I had found posts about changing the fluid but I wondered how one could adjust the level on a 4F27E with no dipstick (some seem not to have one).
That is no longer a problem for me now, but I still wonder...

On some cars in France, Renault, Peugeot and CitroŽn, the automatic transmission have no dipstick, they say they are lubed for life, and every people who likes mechanics knows it is foolish ! The fluid filter also is not removable (or you must open the gearbox).

Perhaps it will interest someone to know how I could change the fluid on my CitroŽn Xantia ?
(After that, you will understand why I absolutely wanted another transaxle on my next car).

1 - the gearbox must be at 60į Celsius.
2 - unscrew the top plug over the box.
3 - under the box, unscrew the plug which is in another plug, take off both plugs.
4 - when the fluid is gone, put on the two plugs (one screwing in the other) under the box.
5 - put 3.5 fluid "litres" in the gearbox.
6 - run the engine (gearbox must be at 60į Celsius).
7 - unscrew the second plug under the gearbox (the one which is screwed in the other).
8 - watch the fluid runing under the gearbox: when it stops runing and there are only a drip, screw the plug.
NB: if no fluid runs, add another 0.5 litres and start again on # 5.

Is the method the same with american gearbox that don't have dipstick ?

Last edited by mit44; 05-28-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #38
c00lkatz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72751
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue Focus SE Auto Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 c00lkatz Good Standing Member
Another way to do it is to remove the pan, drain the fluid, clean the pan and install the new filter, then top it off with some fresh fluid, like normal. But instead, take the cooler inlet hose, stick it into an empty bucket, take the cooler outlet hose, stick it into a bucket filled with fresh fluid, then let the car run. This will allow the pump to drain all the old fluid while sucking in new fluid at the same time. Then you just shut it off when fresh fluid starts coming out of the drain hose. That way you don't accidentally run it dry, and you still flush the whole system at once. Be sure to check the fluid level afterward. If it's too low, top it off, too high use a MityVac/Vacuum Pump and siphon the excess out. That's a tool anyone working on their own car should have anyway. Very handy little device.

Haven't had to do it on my Focus yet, but I've done it on other cars with great success.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #39
Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
I'm a little confused.

This guide states that either 3.5 qts or 2.5 qts was used to refill the tranny after running the pump to completely flush the tranny. The manual (linked in the FAQ section) says 6.9 qts is the actual capacity.

Does this procedure not completely flush the tranny?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #40
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78065
What I Drive: 02 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 SanduskySerpents Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
it is 6.9ish.... I drain the pain. (appox 3 qts) then i remove the cooler line and put it in an empty quart bottle have someone run the engine and move shifter through R N D 1 2 till that quart is full of old fluid (obvious color diff) then add a quart of fresh fluid, repeat till i have 4 bottles full. thats about 7 quarts when you are draining that last quart you will see the fresh fluid come through.

Bookmarks & Social Networks