Idle Issue - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Exclamation Idle Issue

Car: 05 SE, 2.0L
Mileage: 120k
CAR IS STOCK 100% STOCK

I have a Duratec that just won't idle correctly. I owned this car from about 10k until ~60k and my sister has been driving it since. Oil changes every 5k miles with Motorcraft 5W-20 and FL-910S filters ONLY. All maintenance has been done by me.

Symptoms: Sister said car hard started one day and was not running correctly. I went to investigate; figured I would start with plugs. Replaced plugs (which looked fine) with OE Motorcraft plugs. Inspected coil packs and all wiring. Everything 100%. Checked battery voltage (battery is 1 year old); battery is fine. I then started the car. Started perfectly and warmed up perfectly until RPM began dropping below 1500 RPM. Car started missing and sounding like it was cam'd. Check alternator charging voltage at battery; good! NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

I took the car out for a drive. Tested light acceleration, part throttle acceleration and full throttle acceleration....engine ran perfectly. Not down on power. Light throttle during cruising speed is also not an issue. The car only starts to miss when it is trying to idle.

Other Information: While changing plugs I found that it needed a valve cover gasket. That is on order from the dealer for replacement. I am also going to replace the Fuel filter which has not been done since I did it 60k miles. Previous replacement was a Motorcraft unit and the new one will be as well. I am going to pop out the MAF and clean it with the proper cleaner. I am also going to replace the Oxygen sensor with an OEM unit. I don't think these items will solve the problem but they need to be done anyway.

My question: I am fairly certain the issue is one of two things: IACV failing or the PCV hose is cracked behind the intake manifold. I am leaning toward the PCV hose. Now before I pull the intake manifold is there a procedure I can follow to test the IACV?

Thanks for your assistance.

'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
RPMisChris
Focus Addict

Fan#: 76276
What I Drive: 07 svt 2.3 swap thing

FF Reputation: 1 RPMisChris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Check the IACV first. Its all of two bolts and five minutes to pull it out. Spray some carb cleaner in there and clean it out thoroughly. Bolt it back up and see if that fixed it. If not buy a new one off of RockAuto.

When shutting off the car do you have a hissing sound? If so then your pcv hose behind the IM is likely cracked and needs replacing. That darn hose is expensive and a pain in the butt to replace because you need to remove the IM. Removing the IM is not hard, just time consuming.

Also clean the maf with an electrical spray cleaner such as CRC Electronic Cleaner.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Moved to General Tech. Chat for more looks, best place for help with non-performance issues.

Wouldn't suspect the IAC myself, it's bumping up the idle speed cold as it should, then idling down - sounds OK. (Too low an idle speed might point that way)

PCV hose is a def. possibility.

Valve cover isn't seeping enough to fill the plug wells up a bit, is it?

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Thanks sailer

I am not a stranger to removing the IM but would prefer not too. I did it in about a hour the second time I pulled it from my ST.

I will clean the IACV when I clean the MAF; see what happens. I can't say that I remember hearing a hissing sound but I really was not listening for it.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Dont you have a xcal where you can datalog ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Dont you have a xcal where you can datalog ?

Tom
I wish I still did. The turbo'd ST is long gone I removed the turbo kit, sold everything and then got spun off the road by another driver last year resulting in frame damage.

I really didn't have much time to look at the car the other day but plan on spending this Saturday with the car to get the issue straightened out.

I was hoping to find out if I could do something like unplug the IACV and the car should idle at a certain RPM or I could flip on the AC which would engage the IACV a different way to test its functionality. Even if I could get proper voltage or resistance readings for the IACV if that is possible to test. Just trying to run down through all the possibilities to rule out issues.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Ordered Fuel Filter, Valve cover gasket, Oxygen sensor and PCV hose yesterday from AutoNation Ford (previously Tousley Ford). Grand total: ~$130 before shipping.

I'll report back after Saturday.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post

I was hoping to find out if I could do something like unplug the IACV and the car should idle at a certain RPM or...
On my 2004 2.3, when I disconnect the electrical connector on the IACV (at idle) the engine dies. That test confirmed that the IACV plunger is normally open some and allowing in needed air. Once disconnected, the plunger shuts completely and the engine suddenly does not have enough air to breathe.

Also, before and after cleaning my IACV with carb cleaner, I was convinced that the plunger rubber seal was too dry and might be experiencing resistance as it moves within the walls of the plunger cylinder. Never heard of anyone doing this-> but I sprayed a little silicon spray inside the IACV to ensure the plunger will move smoothly.

Good luck on Saturday. I hope you are better with those fuel line quick disconnect push buttons than me. Others are easy, but those at the fuel filter almost won the fight I had with them.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Thanks for the input Marde.

I didn't have much trouble with those clips when I changed the filter the first time...that was 60k miles ago though. The most trouble I had with the Ford fuel clips was one my 1986 Merkur. 190k miles of road dirt + being stuffed in the tightest space possible made for a challenge; I managed to get them disconnected without breaking....was a great day!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Well this issue still persists!

Replaced fuel filter, valve cover gasket and PCV hose. (The '05 2.0 intake manifold was so much easier to remove than my old '07 2.3 manifold). PCV hose was partially collapsed but not completely compromised. With the heat shields in the way I could not change the O2 sensor.

The check engine light came on but with no way to read it at my parents house I could not pull it. Unfortunately I don't think its smart to drive the car much because it will not idle so I didn't take it to the auto parts store.

The cams looked great; no abnormal wear. The intake valves looked good. The intake manifold wasn't overly oily. The throttle does not stick. I popped off the IACV....the plunger moved freely but should it be really easy to move? The IACV on my F150 takes some force to move but the one off the Focus I could move with my pinky finger. It returned to its resting place properly though.

My dad is going to take the car to our only trusted mechanic a few miles up the road from their house to get the DTC pulled...we'll see what it says.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->