Broken, sagging drivers seat - right side. +pics - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
niko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8267
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 ATX, 191,000 miles so far

FF Reputation: 1 niko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Broken, sagging drivers seat - right side. +pics

Hi,

I've read a few other posts that people had this problem but never found any "solutions" yet, so I though I would at least share my experience.

My driver seat has been sagging on the right hand side for quite some time now. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not. Well this morning it turned out to be real as the right hand side finally gave away totally, and had no support. I shoved a big plastic bin behind the seat to support it for my drive this morning.

I wanted to pull back the upholstery to take a look, so I took some pictures to, to show you guys what happened. I have some ideas of how to fix it.

I'm not sure if the picture attachments will be in order so here is the order:

1. First, find the long plastic clip that holds the upholstery on the seat back. It's on the bottom. It helps to lean the seat forward to get to it. To unclip it, just stick in a small flathead screwdriver (with a skinny blade) to unclip the right hand portion of it, while pulling back on the outer plastic portion. If you get it started, it will peel off without damage. (the clip will "unzip" in a sort of way)

You can see firstly that the right hand side of the seat gets all of its support from a tube that is attached to the drivers side. This tube DOES NOT attach to the seat reclining mechanism, and is a flaw in the design because of that. Instead it just attaches to the drivers side of the frame, which does.

This means all the stress from the right hand side of the seat will be put mainly upon the weld joint on the left hand side. Even more so than just torsional stress, because if the seat gets pushed back it could also add some tension stress too.

In this case you can see where the metal frame cracked. No doubt this was the start of my problems. Now it is to the point where the tube itself is shearing.

My thoughts (barring of course getting another seat):

1. Keep the plastic bin in the back seat pushing on my seat for me :) lol. White trash repair.

2. Drill holes thru the tube and attach stabilizers to the left side of the frame, using some nice thick metal and fasteners. Before you scoff at me, read my thread of how I repaired my reclining mechanism handles using those types of techniques.

3. Another possible way is to attach a cross member from the right side frame backing to the left side frame backing. Now, attach connections from the tube to this cross member. The cross member would help then in preventing tensional stress too, and the torsional stress would pull against the cross member, so I think this would support very well. (So what I mean is a flat piece of metal attached all the way across the back of the seat frame, to join the left and right together. And then drill holes and attach metal brackets from the tube to this crossmember).

Anyway, thought I would share some pics. If anyone has other ideas, other than getting another seat, I'm willing to discuss. I'm too poor right now for another seat yet.

-niko

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brokenseat1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	15988  

Name:	brokenseat2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	15989  

Name:	brokenseat3.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	15990  

Name:	brokenseat4.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	15991  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yup exact same thing happened to me. Just crappy seats in general. Mine was caused by my brother pulling himself outta the back of the car by holding onto the back of the seat... Bent it totally. Replaced both the front seats with Corbeau A4's and am lovin it.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
my focus part out thread will go up later today, I have all my seats for sale in it. Everything will be going out cheap as shit, mostly you'll pay for the shipping. My front seats have had seat covers on them since day one, they're flawless. I'll be letting em' go for like $40-50 per seat or discount for the pair.

just a heads up 4 u
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
niko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8267
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 ATX, 191,000 miles so far

FF Reputation: 1 niko Good Standing Member
Well here's my repair so far. It really helped a lot, the right side doesn't lean back as much as it has the whole last year anymore.

It still moves some, really it needs to be pushed as far forward as possible and the tube welded back together or something.

Now I just need to find a welder to do it for me :)

Actually I was thinking if I "rough" up the metal enough (for example, put grooves in the tubing with a dremel tool) I could probably JB StiK it, it's supposed to have 6000psi. The problem here is that the right hand side of the seat acts like a big lever, focusing all force down to this left hand side so I don't know if that would be enough.

But with this patch helping absorb the force, all I need is enough strength to absorb the remaining torsion.

-Brad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1488.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	16037  

Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
twolfy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50366
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 twolfy Good Standing Member
Nice work on the seat repair. It's been awhile since you posted this. I'd be interested to know how you made out. Seems like taking the seat out having the cracks welded and then appying your brace to that same area would be the ideal fix.
Tom

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.