Fixed a few interior rattles.... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Fixed a few interior rattles....

It started out with a single rattle over bumps mostly, right by my left knee. I could not determine if it was from under the dash, or from the front part of the door on the inside. The noise seemed to change direction. Turned out I had two different sources that sounded exactly the same.

The first rattle was coming from the hood release cable. The cable itself was not touching anything.....the rattle was from the inside of the cable, with the inner wire vibrating inside the cable housing. I suppose certain bumps/movement started the inner wire to vibrate. I fixed it by wrapping a piece of pipe foam insulation over the entire length of the cable...from the firewall to the handle. (it's about 1 1/2" thick) This just dampens any movements of the outer cable, and apparently fixed the vibration noise from the inner wire.

The second rattle.....had to remove the complete door trim, the speaker, and the vapor barrier piece. (it rips easily. you can tape it back together). There was nothing I found that was loose inside the door. But...toward the front of the door, two cables cross directly over each other. The cables were not covered with any sort of foam. At the point they crossed each other, there was a strange looking plastic clip, holding the cables about 1/8" apart. When I moved either cable even a little bit, I could hear a rattle-like sound from this attachment point clip. I removed the clip completely, wrapped both cables with foam.....then tapped the two cables together. That fixed the noise.

There was a certain road a few miles from here that caused the rattles....bad sometimes. A ride down the road this morning and both rattles are gone. But....now the other rattle from the passenger door area is really noticeable. Next job in line....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Ive been reading your posts alot as of late...very helpful thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Thanks man.... I've been fixing crappy problems on other people's cars all my life. Before I quit the business I hated the job so much I never liked to even work on my own cars. Now it's different. Don't mind picking up a wrench any more.

One of the things you learn quickly..... listen carefully to how a problem is described. That can go a long way to find the solution, sometimes without even seeing the car....like these forum problems.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The older cars had a foam covering over the cables in the doors, least mine does.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Third annoying rattle fixed...... it sounded similar to the first two, like a plastic cable vibrating against a hard surface, happening over bumpy roads.

My car has a center folding arm-rest. The noise was from the right of me. The fix.....the very tall folding arm-rest which is a part of the center consul, causes a slight vibration in the whole assy. This vibration of the consul was touching the passenger side seat-belt buckle. (my seats are all the way rearward) To stop the noise I cut out a piece of sticky-back felt (from a hobby store). A little square section stuck to the buckle=no more rattles.

Sometimes a helper in the car can find rattles easier than a single driver, but in this case the rattle would never have happened with someone in the passenger seat and the seat-belt in use.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
shane_c
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53658
What I Drive: 2004 Light Tundra SE Wagon (SPI)

FF Reputation: 1 shane_c Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post

The first rattle was coming from the hood release cable. The cable itself was not touching anything.....the rattle was from the inside of the cable, with the inner wire vibrating inside the cable housing. I suppose certain bumps/movement started the inner wire to vibrate. I fixed it by wrapping a piece of pipe foam insulation over the entire length of the cable...from the firewall to the handle. (it's about 1 1/2" thick) This just dampens any movements of the outer cable, and apparently fixed the vibration noise from the inner wire.
I have the same rattle and it just started this morning. It's extremely annoying and only seems to do it when I tap the gas so this morning in stop and go traffic I was about to go insane. It doesn't do it when I'm driving. I'm going to have to try your fix.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

I wrapped the pipe insulation tightly around the cable, with zip ties spaced about every two inches. I suspect the added weight may have something to do with the fix.....so if you could find something like Dynamat, that might work as well. Mine hasn't rattled once since I fixed it. Hope it fixes yours also....
Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Memberloudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Nice info. With all 3 poly/billet motor mounts, some of this info could def. come in handy to me.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
pw2buz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96151
What I Drive: 2005 Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 pw2buz Good Standing Member
I had the same door rattle (front passenger door) in my 2005 Focus ZX4. Drove me crazy; wore foam ear plugs. I replaced my worn Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires (about 40,000 miles) with four new Michelin Primacy MXV4 H/V tires. Rattle gone! Still gone 1,185 miles later.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103998
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dizle Good Standing Member
Old thread back from the dead but worth a shot before I start my own...

Something is vibrating near the center two a/c vents on the dash just above the radio. Anyone had this, fixed it? Before I tear it apart thought I'd ask. Also something is vibrating (over bumps) on the rear pass seatbelt mount. I've taken it apart a few times and can't figure it out. Thanks!

Bookmarks & Social Networks