Stock clutch + FS Stage 1 = ? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
mtadd162
Proudly Daily Driven

Fan#: 47890
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 9 mtadd162 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Stock clutch + FS Stage 1 = ?

Alright so im done playing around and im gunna bite the bullet and make my car something to look at whether its in a car show or on the street, and hopefully this turbo will help me achieve that. I did a couple searches and couldnt find anything specific to my question, which basically is how long/or will the stock clutch last running around 8PSI, granted im not gunna be spooling it up every second, well the first week, maybee lol .... but im gunna need some time for money to build again in order to buy a new clutch, so i was wondering if im gunna have that time....and im assuming as far as clutches go stage 2 will be needed correct? (take into consideration i will be going stage 2 of the turbo eventually) thanks again guys for your help

-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
SSR - Silver Sedan Revolution Member #1
Cams Installed, great made my car into a VTAK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21542
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 5 aTm Beaner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
how many miles do you have on the car? you should be OK for a good while on the Stage 1 kit. just don't drop rev it high and drop the clutch.
TEAM DURATEC #512 ST CREW #100
2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST
Focus Sport Cool-Flo v.1, Focus Racing Cat-Back w/ Magnaflow HFC, F2 Header, Focus Sport Tune 93 Octane, Saleen Suspension Kit, Rota Slips 16x7
Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
FX4BAJA

Fan#: 49285
What I Drive: SKATEBOARD

FF Reputation: 10 FX4BAJA Great Standing Member
Im installing the stage 1 and 2 kit right now im going to keep it at 8 psi with the stock clutch.Randy and FocusSport have been great you will be very pleased with the Quality of the kit and the great service.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Yocrew
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Why not just go with a stage 3? It's not much more cost wise and it will save you in the long run.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
mtadd162
Proudly Daily Driven

i have 24k on the car right now....still a baby so hopefully it'll be fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocrew View Post
Why not just go with a stage 3? It's not much more cost wise and it will save you in the long run.
what exactly is stage 3, and why would it save in the long run
-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
focusguy87
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Stock will be fine as long as you dont hit full boost while in 1`st gear
Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
3redzxs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 20532
What I Drive: 01 zx3 turbo

FF Reputation: 1 3redzxs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusguy87 View Post
Stock will be fine as long as you dont hit full boost while in 1`st gear
Why would that be. The tires are more likely to spin in lower gears. My stock clutch has slipped a couple of times in 5th at high RPM but never in a lower gear.

If you want the clutch to live stay away from the drag strip, and don't hit gears too hard. It's not hard to go fast without abusing your clutch unless you just have to have that last tiny little bit of speed.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (67)
your stock clutch will work for as long as you let it, meaning, don't ever go into boost!! lol, jk, but really, you will have to baby it!! @ 8 psi, you may be around 200??? don't know for sure, but your clutch wont last long. You should not go w/ a stage 1 or 2. unless you plan on never going above 150 whp!! stage one seems to be just a slightly longer lasting OEM relpacement where stage 2 is meant for a low boost form. Stage 3 is going to be the best for you as you intend on more boost. when a clutch reads it can handle up to 200 tq, that means , yes it can handle it, but it wont last as long!! as a stage 3 meant for 300. the higher staged clutch you go w/ means the longer it will last you, but you will also loose a bit of driveability too. remember, w/ most of the stage 2/3 clutches, you will need a new flywheel too!

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
mtadd162
Proudly Daily Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocrew View Post
yea i definetly thought you were talking about the turbo lol cause ^^^ was talking about stages of his FS turbo, i didnt even think about clutchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
your stock clutch will work for as long as you let it, meaning, don't ever go into boost!! lol, jk, but really, you will have to baby it!! @ 8 psi, you may be around 200??? don't know for sure, but your clutch wont last long. You should not go w/ a stage 1 or 2. unless you plan on never going above 150 whp!! stage one seems to be just a slightly longer lasting OEM relpacement where stage 2 is meant for a low boost form. Stage 3 is going to be the best for you as you intend on more boost. when a clutch reads it can handle up to 200 tq, that means , yes it can handle it, but it wont last as long!! as a stage 3 meant for 300. the higher staged clutch you go w/ means the longer it will last you, but you will also loose a bit of driveability too. remember, w/ most of the stage 2/3 clutches, you will need a new flywheel too!
yea i probably will do a light flywheel combo when i do it, is the exedy deal from FS the best way to go?....and thanks on the good insight on the stages anyway i figured stage 2 woulda been plenty
-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (67)
I can't vouch for any other than spec products as they are the only ones I have ever used. I have the spec III 6 puck kevlar clutch. It is super soft, but you can totally feel its grabbing power. w/ the spec products, you need a spec flywheel. If I were you, I would check out McNews automotive as they had a sale on the remaining 8 lb flyweels for only 250 shipped!!! a stage II can hold like 275 tq?? not sure right now, just check out the stats on the websites. I personally really like the spec products. I have ran them on other vehicles, and thats what my dad runs in his "fun cars" and we have NEVER had an issue!!

SPEC FTW

I have never tried anything else, but that doesn't mean anything, they could be just as good or even better. Go w/ what you feel, all those brands, from what I've heard are really good!!

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks