Creaking whilst turning? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Daleaholic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52303
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Focus LX 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 Daleaholic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Creaking whilst turning?

Hi there,

Recently I have noticed a very audible creaking noise when I turn left. I took it to a garage, they drove it and said it was dry bushes. I let them do the work and everything seemed fine afterwards. But the noise has come back.

I'd like to know whether anybody has had a similar problem or if anybody knows what could be causing this 'creaking' noise. I'm not so sure it is dry bushes though because I drove my friend home yesterday and the noise went away, however when he got out and I was on my way home, the noise returned, I'm starting to think this could be a suspension issue...

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
swimmerdude123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29184
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 swimmerdude123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
try replacing the rear sway bar bushings with poly? if u have one that is
Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Daleaholic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52303
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Focus LX 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 Daleaholic Good Standing Member
My car is mechanically factory standard. It sounds like the creaking is coming from the front of the car too.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
It's more than likely front stabilizer end links. These are metal sphericals in a plastic socket. They get dry and squeek, and I believe the sway bar acts as a tining form to amplify the noise. Simple fix/ Easier to jack the car up. Use an awl or bent piece of wire to spread the boot back and spray some oil in their, not WD40 although that will work for a while. Twist the link within the full range to work the oil in. This works for me, but is required a couple of times a year.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
johnwar1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23666
What I Drive: 2007 Sedan SE ATX Silver

FF Reputation: 1 johnwar1 Good Standing Member
2007 Focus stock

I have a 2007 focus which now has 17,000 miles on it and I have had in the dealer 4 or 5 times for a clunking, creaking, popping noise that mainly happens when I turn the steering wheel left or right. They have so far replaced the steering column, sway bar end links, tie rod ends and front brakes and rotors. The noise is still there and the service tech said they have run out of things to replace and that they don't what to do to fix this. He stated that it could be a Friday afternoon car? Does anyone have any issues like this or know what I can possibly do.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
That sort of creaking noise that happens when turning, and may be affected one way or another by a passenger.......may be caused by the upper strut bearings. I've never see the Focus setup, but on most cars these days, this bearing is just two pieces of plastic/nylon.

The fix is usually easy enough.....remove the strut from the car, take the top plate off, replace the bearing.

Diagnosing the problem is not so easy....
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
joshfink
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50565
What I Drive: Black 2007 ford Focus

FF Reputation: 4 joshfink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have the same problem... when I turn right... I get a clunk... my last focus (04 ZTS) did the same thing... I pay it no mind cause the suspension etc is good.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
dannymartin6789
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58057
What I Drive: 2004 grey 1.6 lx

FF Reputation: 1 dannymartin6789 Good Standing Member
water leekcondinsation on front of window
Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
fhh02a
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
mine does it also-- PDQEagle-- where would the boots be?-- are you talking about the CV boots or what--sorry for the dumb question

thanks

HATCH NATION..#01
B-S-T
SOUTHERN FANATICS
GEN CHAT
MK1
Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
oddballish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51285
What I Drive: 2006,Blue,fx4

FF Reputation: 1 oddballish Good Standing Member
Something you can try in diagnosing is to put a garbage bag (one of the large hefty type) under each front wheel. Make sure the bag is folded at least four layers thick and the surface under the bags is smooth, this eliminates drag so the wheels can turn left / right with the Eng off (no Eng noise to interfere). Have someone turn the steering wheel several times fast / slow, stop to stop and see if you can duplicate the sound .If you can hear it keep turning the wheel and zero in on the offending part, then change that part or lube it which ever it calls for.

Bookmarks & Social Networks