I could use your Help Please - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58059
What I Drive: 2004 SVT SONIC BLUE EAP

FF Reputation: 1 kens03cobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I could use your Help Please

As some of you know, I modified the front of my lil Foci on Sunday during the LAST session of the weekend

It's OK though, I am fine and the car is being rebuilt as we speak. I found an entire front clip and will be picking it up on Friday and deliver to the shop.

Where do I need your help you ask, well, as things are torn apart and easy to get to, I am going to do some things while I am in there.

I know, I could search and research and search more and try to figure this out on my own. But why re-invent the wheel.

I thought I would POLL the audience and see what recommendations you all would come up with.

Here is what has been done to date.
1. CAI, Great Tune, Eibach front and rear sway bars, Eiback Struts and shocks, Nitto NT01's.

What I am looking to add and if you have opinions on which way to go, and can provide PART #'s / WEBSITE to order from, that would be most helpful.

Looking at the CFR mid pipe
Oil pan may get replaced
Looing at Poly engine mounts - not sure which way to go

And I would like recommendations on a brake package that is streetable but also acceptable for the track. I want STOPPING power.

The marriage of EBC dimpled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads do not work, and I found out the hard way.

I have not dynoed with the Race tune I have, but the 93 tune yielded 152 HP and 147TQ on a 95 degree day. The car runs it's lil hiney off....

If you do not have a tune yet, you need one and I highly recommend Jon Lund...let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance for your replies, as I need to go shopping soon and get these parts.

Part numbers will be helpful.

Thanks,

Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ken -

Private Message sent.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Need to move this thread to SVT Performance Chat.

Redirect is in place.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Tom, thanks for the move.

I am still poking around here as I see lots of good info. I am very busy with work and was hoping this thread could expedite my search and shopping experience so I can continue with the car build.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Is there a brake duct cooling mod that is popular over here? Thinking of leaving the fogs out for this.

Trying to shop and install in the near future, any help out here?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I love my Powerslot rotors. I think they hold up better to race pads than Brembo oem blank rotors.

As for pads, you're not going to find a pad that is effective on the track and still great for the street. What you might consider doing is running Hawk HP Plus pads on a daily basis and then swap out the front pads for a set of Hawk Blue 9012 or Hawk HT-10's on track days. If you don't mind swapping out all four corners, just run your HPS pads on the street and keep a dedicated set of pads for track days.

If you don't want to swap out brake pads, you can run the Hawk HP Plus on all four corners, but you will see some fade under heavy use. They will still be better then the HPS pads you were using.

As for brake cooling, here's a link to a thread on the other Focus site that you might find helpful...
http://forums.focaljet.com/road-rall...orsche+cooling

^^These air deflectors are being added to my SVT this week.

I looked at your mod list and since you already have a tune, the next best bang for buck mod is going to be a high flow cat or an ORP. Since I kinda like clean air, here's a link to the CFM high flow cat which has gotten some pretty good reviews. Don't bother with the rest of the exhaust. The SVT exhaust is a good piece.
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1125

Since you're still NA, I don't see a good reason for switching over to poly engine mounts. While the rear mount is often upgraded due to the poor design of the stocker, the stock engine and transmission mounts should be fine. All the poly mounts are going to give you is a lot of vibration.

Two items you might consider are...
CFM 67mm Throttle Body
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...PROD&ProdID=83
CFM adjustable Short Throw shifter
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1100
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
rb26dett95
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58124
What I Drive: 2004 Comp Orange SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 rb26dett95 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kens03cobra View Post
Is there a brake duct cooling mod that is popular over here? Thinking of leaving the fogs out for this.

Trying to shop and install in the near future, any help out here?

Thanks,

Ken
For the brake cooling, I used a 4" dryer tube bought at home depot (each tube is around 8 or so feet which is plenty) and routed them to a corresponding hole drilled in the inner fender, as far to the inside of the well I could get. Using some of the bolts and mounting hardware from the foglights, I ziptied hangars and used them to secure the tube to the foglight hole.
On the fender side I used a plastic butterfly vent (after pulling the actual butterfly slat out) and secured the tube to the lip of the vent with a metal collar. I then filed down some of the lip that came into the fenderwell courtesy of the vent with a dremel. All of this can be bought at home depot for around 20 dollars if I remember correctly.

As for the brakes, I think the stock rotors are fine, but definately pick up some stainless lines if you haven't done so already. I hear really good things about Carbotech break pads (http://www.ctbrakes.com/), and all from former users of hawk pads. Being that my stockers still have some life in them, I haven't tried them myself.

Hope that helps, sorry for the wall of text.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, they are helpful. Thinking of doing all three mounts while we are in there, and I doubt I will remain NA forever

The vision all along was to turn this lil guy into a track car and it will eventually be soley a track car. With that said, we are doing some mods that will lend itself in that direction without making it totally undriveable at this point on the street.

Thanks for all the help guys, great Forum you have over here, thanks for dragging me over Tom.

Ken
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
i would definitely get the mounts. they are one of my favorite mods.

but a word of advice on them is to get the steedas. the driver side is a bit beefier and the bolt has never sheered off however i have heard of the VF mounts sheering off.

i would look into a ORP from CFM...thats an awesome mod

good luck with the rebuild.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
i would definitely get the mounts. they are one of my favorite mods.

but a word of advice on them is to get the steedas. the driver side is a bit beefier and the bolt has never sheered off however i have heard of the VF mounts sheering off.

i would look into a ORP from CFM...thats an awesome mod

good luck with the rebuild.
Thanks for the info, but I ordered all three mounts prolly while you were posting this.

I did however, go with the Steeda mounts. They just looked like a better product IMO, a few more buck for each, but I plan on building this thing right.

Bought the High Flow cat as well, the of roads are out of stock and when I call them there is really no diff between the two in HP as they are pretty free flowing he said. Deeper sound as well is why I went thta route.

Still looking for a brake combo and cooling setup.

Should I get rid of the EBC rotors, or do you think a more agressive pad would do the trick?

Thanks fellas, the lil blue Foci will be ripping it up again soon.

I have one in car I plan on posting up when I get time, and Doug was behind me and got the VID of the boo boo.

My in car is of good laps, not the last session of the day. I will try to get posted up when I get some time.

Ken

Bookmarks & Social Networks