How To: Brake Painting (Very Detailed) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47719
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE

FF Reputation: 72 ShamrockSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How To: Brake Painting (Very Detailed)

Warning: Neither Focus Fanatics nor its Members may be held responsible for the outcome of performing such a modification to ones car(Ford Focus). Such acts are performed at ones own risk, and sole responsibility must be assumed. This may include, but not limited to, the voiding of Ford vehicles factory warranty.

Always put safety first; using jackstands, eye protection, and all other required safety measures. It is also recommended to have supervision whenever possible.

Materials needed:
Caliper painting kit
wire brush

This is a detailed how-to on painting brakes, specifically brake calipers. The product demonstrated is the commonly used Duplicolor Caliper Paint Ceramic Kit available at most auto parts stores.

The first step is to securely jack and support your car. Then remove the tires/wheels. It is best t work on either one side at a time, or both fronts then both backs. If you are comfortable and have the needed equipment, it is possible to do all four brakes at once.

Front

Back

The first step is to spray down the brakes with the supplied brake cleaner. Normally I would recommend using a paining prep product, however, the supplied brake cleaner is designed to perform this function.

After the initial spray of cleaner, use a wire brush, such as stainless steel or brass, as the firm metal bristles will help break away hard surface corrosion.

After brushing thoroughly, use the cleaner again to get any last bits of contamination off the brakes.

After you have shaken the supplied can of caliper paint for a few minutes, use a flat head screw driver to pry the can open, working slowly prying gently around the entire rim of the can. Any flat head screw driver that fits will work; you don’t have to use a $30 electrician’s 10-in-1 screwdriver -like I did.

Use the supplied stirring stick to mix the paint even further, do not discard.

Now it is time to begin painting. You can either use the supplied paint brush, which is very low quality, or you can opt for a higher quality artist type brush. Work slowly, starting near the top and working your way down. Try to cover as much as you can, being careful not to get paint on anything you don’t want painted. The best approach is to take your time and not rush the job.

Your first coat should be light. Subsequent coats can be heavier, but never heavy. This is about what your caliper should look like after the first coat.

While you wait for the first caliper to dry, start the next repeat the same cleaning and painting procedure for the rear calipers, provided you have four wheel disk brakes and not rear drum brakes. Painted rear drums look horrible, unless they are painted black.

After a few coats, this is what your calipers should look like. It is recommended to use at least 4 coats.

Here are some pictures of the finished product with wheels installed.

Notes: For the pictures, I showed myself applying paint with the supplied brush, but in reallity I used an expensive artist's brush to paint the calipers.
I put four coats on each of the four calipers, and I still have over half a can left, so get a friend who wants to do their car as well, and go halves on the materials, you will have more than enough.

Keywords: Brake painting, caliper painting, ford focus caliper painting, ford focus brake caliper painting, break painting, repainting calipers, painting calipers, painting ford focus brakes, painting ford focus calipers, how to paint calipers, how-to paint calipers,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
lildudeinacar
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49485
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 6 lildudeinacar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Looks Simple enough!

With Dupli-Color Yes you can!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

It sure is! only take s afew hours and wouldn't be hard even for a novice. The kit comes with simple instructions, just follow them closely and you should be all set, the only really different thing I suggest is getting a better quality brush.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
looks good dean, if i would have known you were doing this i would have come over and helped ya!
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, I thought about calling some guys over, but really with me and Tom we had more than enough manpower, but if you want yours done, let me know.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
ill let you know maybe this coming weekend?
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Joshuasvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27135
What I Drive: '03 Black/Red Flake SVT #1218

FF Reputation: 3 Joshuasvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Just a thought Could the springs be painted red with the left over paint? Would it look good?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
nov173
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29840
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 79 nov173 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
so you don't use any clear on it?

For Sale: Rear bumper(stock). SVT side skirts FS as well. Buy em!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPimpin03 View Post
Just a thought Could the springs be painted red with the left over paint? Would it look good?
I guess you could, and the red spring might look good, but my thought is that the caliper paint, especially since it has ceramic in it, would be stiff and brittle, and would crack as the springs flex.
there may be a paint opetion for them, but I'm pretty sure just about any paint would require constant upkeep, powder coating might be best.
On my own car, I was actually thinking of refreshing the black on the springs and painting my soon to be installed KYB GR2 shocks red.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nov173 View Post
so you don't use any clear on it?
This How-To specifically deals with the Duplicolor caliper paint kit, which is very popular. The kit does not include any clear coat, and the good folks at Duplicolor insist it doesn't need it. Time will tell, 2 weeks later, my brakes (the ones in the How-To pictures) still look like I just painted them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks