Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #81
AdrianVan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105301
What I Drive: 2003 Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 AdrianVan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got a P0761 (Solenoid C stuck "off") and have ordered all six solenoids. I will attempt to change them all using some great YouTube videos and get back to the forum with the results in a few weeks. Wish me luck!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #82
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,089, Level 34
Points: 3,089, Level: 34 Points: 3,089, Level: 34 Points: 3,089, Level: 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Solenoid failure is fairly rare, no way in he-- would I change all of them.............you really should disturb the wiring in there as little as possible since it has been precooked to break easily.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #83
finalfantasy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86774
What I Drive: 2001 SE

FF Reputation: 1 finalfantasy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokrongly View Post
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you just apply a thin bead of gasket compound. Don't use too much or the excess will get into your transmission and cause a problem.
i did this and used a 1mm bead. was that too thin? the dealership mech said that It should be squirting out the sides.

im leaking on the back (its dripping off the bolts) and i see pink fluid on a harness in the front so i guess its spraying out the front too??
Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #84
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,089, Level 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 56%
Problem is, if squirting out outside it will be squirting out inside, you don't want that. Oil makes the little silicone beads come loose to go in trans or motor. I couldn't tell you how many engines I've seen blown up because someone took what the dealer said and ran with it. It fills pickup tube and cuts off oil supply. Seems to me he's trying to steer you in there by damage, dealers give absolutely incorrect information all the time trying to drum up more work for themselves.

If you've already done it and no leaks you're good, it should be a nominal amount, more like 1/8" (.125"), 1mm. is only .040", virtually impossible to put that small an amount.

I cover entire gasket surface and then take a finger and run along it to squeegee off the excess. I also run that same finger around INSIDE edge to thin or none right where it would squeeze out (in, really). I don't car how much squeezes outside, not a problem there.

They make gaskets now to make that question moot and so much easier too. I'd put a gasket on any day before simply gluing, hard to get surface dry enough with all the drippage in there. One of my Focus cars is glued and the other has gasket.

Last edited by amc49; 10-31-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #85
finalfantasy
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Problem is, if squirting out outside it will be squirting out inside, you don't want that. Oil makes the little silicone beads come loose to go in trans or motor. I couldn't tell you how many engines I've seen blown up because someone took what the dealer said and ran with it. It fills pickup tube and cuts off oil supply. Seems to me he's trying to steer you in there by damage, dealers give absolutely incorrect information all the time trying to drum up more work for themselves.

If you've already done it and no leaks you're good, it should be a nominal amount, more like 1/8" (.125"), 1mm. is only .040", virtually impossible to put that small an amount.

I cover entire gasket surface and then take a finger and run along it to squeegee off the excess. I also run that same finger around inside edge to thin or none right where it would squeeze out. I don't car how much squeezes outside, not a problem there.

They make gaskets now to make that question moot and so much easier too. I'd put a gasket on any day before simply gluing, hard to get surface dry enough with all the drippage in there. One of my Focus cars is glued and the other has gasket.
thanks for your help. I needed to hear that. i did a very fine bead and it did not leak for a few months, then weather got cold and commute changed recently (up to highway speeds within minutes at beg of commute). Now its leaking and i'm half way on the dipstick.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #86
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,089, Level 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 56%
See if you can find a gasket at a standard auto part store now, back when I did it there were none but may be now. If gasket used then no glue or sealant. It was moronic of Ford to simply glue them up anyway, you can do it easy on assembly line with trans upside down, clean and dry, and no oil in it but repeating that out in the field sucks, even their mechs have leak trouble because they cannot wait long enough to let trans stop dripping. One drop of oil dripped into the sealer and you got a leak even with best efforts.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #87
finalfantasy
Focus Enthusiast

see http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278431

you sure to apply gasket dry? that would require tightening pattern correct?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #88
AdrianVan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105301
What I Drive: 2003 Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 AdrianVan Good Standing Member
Should I change all six?

Anybody else out there think I should just replace all six solenoids while in there anyway? I also have the new wiring harness but I don't want to mess with that.

Last edited by AdrianVan; 11-11-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: I'm new to the forum and didn't notice the reply
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #89
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,089, Level 34
Level Up 26% Completed
Forum Activity 56%
Putting gasket sealer on does not absolve you having to use tightening pattern. In fact makes it more necessary, the sealer allows gasket to squish out of place easy if not tightened evenly.

If you change all six solenoids you may as well change the transmission too while you're in there............
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #90
jackwagon1980
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98819
What I Drive: 2002 quadcolor Focus Wagon SE

FF Reputation: 1 jackwagon1980 Good Standing Member
02 focus wagon. shudders when it shifts between 3-4 at low RPM. Shifts fine with o/d button "off" does solenoid A control this?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.