Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix - Page 12 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #111
IfyAboutFords
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116037
What I Drive: 2000 black focus

FF Reputation: 1 IfyAboutFords Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wont shift

I think my focus is stuck in 3rd gear. I can drive it like this but im scared itll burn up my transmission. It is an automatic. If its a sensor, which one do i need to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #112
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
If you got only one gear you got more than just a sensor problem..........see a mech.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #113
IfyAboutFords
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116037
What I Drive: 2000 black focus

FF Reputation: 1 IfyAboutFords Good Standing Member
I cant afford a mechanic but i do know how to replace solenoids. Is this a good course of action?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #114
DerbyCityGinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106672
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 DerbyCityGinger Good Standing Member
About this solenoid fix.
My 2005 keeps slipping into third. Every time. It was rebuilt once when it was doing the problem in the very first post. Now third is not quite completely gone but it slips into it. I get the yellow O/D off light flashing, but every time a code is pulled I only have one code and it is not related (running lean).

Is this a solenoid problem? I know I'm not the only one who has had this exact same problem. This transmission is garbage.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #115
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I disagree, have two at 180K and they still shift flawlessly. Haven't touched them at all other than fluid changes.

Many code readers won't pick up trans codes, need a dedicated reader to read them.

The 2-4 servo commonly breaks the piston to make issues like that and no solenoids on earth will fix that. Band could be cracked or worn as well to not fully apply tightly. Or direct clutch hub worn to leak pressure. All common issues on these.

Everybody always wants to change the solenoids, go on, change 'em all, many get no result at all there. There are literally 50 other things that could cause that.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #116
DerbyCityGinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106672
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 DerbyCityGinger Good Standing Member
Okay then no to solenoids. I went back a couple pages and saw there's a TSB on the transmission? Does that mean they will fix it like a recall? I bought it used about 4 years ago and it has 103,XXX miles on it, rebuilt at about 70-80k. The people who rebuilt the transmission welded the mount to the car...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #117
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Generally, the TSB means they fix it if it is still under warranty - but your car isn't.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #118
ZXWSE
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 139481
What I Drive: 2005 Grey ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 ZXWSE Good Standing Member
Arrow Solenoids or Transmission Belt?

My transmission went into "limp mode", only driving in 1st and 3rd gears. I read on another forum (or was it here?) to check the first transmission band on the driver's side of the car, as it turns out that what it was in my case. The band had simply cracked in two.

Unfourtunately, I found this after spending $150 on a used solenoid kit on Ebay, since brand-new these guys cost $100 each. They're up for sale now, let me know if you're interested. Thanks.

PS they fit the transmission in the 2005 focus.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #119
my poor car
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145330
What I Drive: 2001, Red, Focus, ZTec, DOHC

FF Reputation: 1 my poor car Good Standing Member
2001 Automatic Tranny slipping & banging

Hi all,

2001 Focus with DOHC Zetec Engine (Red, of course)

This page seems the best place to post. My poor car was stuck in the snow and ice up here in this crazy NY winter and it took me an hour and a half rocking the tranny back and forth to get it out -- should have taken the bus... :'(

Since then once the car warms up the tranny will slip out of third gear and rev up with no power. Even lower gears can give me some trouble too. It bangs and struggles when shifting. Took it to a tranny place and he says it is probably the clutch for the high (third) gear (that clutch also works for reverse so that's probably how it broke). Anyway I really can't see spending another 1500 bucks on even a recondition (just changing the bad clutch), plus my luck the leaky steering rack will break, too (plugged that leak up with just half a bottle of power steering goop; good stuff). The car is just over 100k miles, already did the tune up, had some sneak sell me new front brakes, had to change the stupid plastic thermostat cover TWICE in one year, and I just can't do any more.

So anyway I'm driving home from the mechanic after saying no thanks and praying to see the tranny light come on (meaning it's really just a solenoid or something which I can change myself). Instead the whole electrical system is shot! Headlights and interior lights are flickering like my brand new battery is dead (which it's not). Every now and then the brake and ABS warning lights come on simultaneously (but briefly) even though the brakes are just fine (not soft at all). Did the computer somehow get messed up? Again, all of these problems only occur after the car is warm (at least it's still so darn cold out, I can make it to work almost before I have any trouble).

Any ideas? Clutch or something else mechanical, or solenoid and electrical?
My Poor Car thanks you.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #120
tbixster2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145890
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 tbixster2 Good Standing Member
Simular Shifting Problem

Had to rebuild SPI Engine, had a TC seal leak on start up. Had to replace pump-bushings mangled. Trans refused to shift to 3, typical rpm rise, ordered a set of solenoids for troubleshooting (used). Replaced all as a set. Problem still persisted-no change at all. Changed tranny with a unit with @78k, the torque converter was replaced. Once serviced, the 2nd transmission also failed to shift into 3rd gear, checked the fluid level several times, once warmed up. Each servicing included a filter change, and mercon V fluid. Odd the 2nd tranny reacts like the original one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks