Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #101
BernardZX2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32245
What I Drive: 1999 ZX2

FF Reputation: 1 BernardZX2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey. My wife's 03 focus se, SOHC 3S4P auto trans has a problem. After the trans has been warmed up from driving (20-30 minutes), it slips while cruising around 45 mph. Rarely there is a grinding grating noise with it. If I apply more throttle it will re-engage. If I turn OD off it does not do it. It drives fine otherwise. It started doing this after I did a filter and fluid change. There is no CEL. I'm thinking torque converter cause there is no CEL and no problems shifting. Thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #102
TydlwavS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11928
What I Drive: 2007 DSG SES SAP2 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 TydlwavS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardZX2 View Post
Hey. My wife's 03 focus se, SOHC 3S4P auto trans has a problem. After the trans has been warmed up from driving (20-30 minutes), it slips while cruising around 45 mph. Rarely there is a grinding grating noise with it. If I apply more throttle it will re-engage. If I turn OD off it does not do it. It drives fine otherwise. It started doing this after I did a filter and fluid change. There is no CEL. I'm thinking torque converter cause there is no CEL and no problems shifting. Thoughts....

If it slips there are problems with shifting. Seems like a similar issue to my issues and i think its electrical inside the trans. Try to downshift from 40mph quickly. Does it bang into gear?
03 SVT #442 - (LEMON)
05 ZX3 SES, SVT susp, etc (SOLD)
07 ZX4 SES, SAP2, IUP, FRPP, Pista's, Tint 73k
Old 04-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #103
ssfc72
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104715
What I Drive: 2007 grey LE

FF Reputation: 1 ssfc72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone with knowledge of what electrical connectors are on the atx of a 2007 focus ses, wagon, 2L engine and how to get them to disconnect.
I want to disconnect, inspect and then re-connect all connectors, to try and see if there might be a faulty connection.
I see 2 connectors on the atx, below the air cleaner housing. The round one I seemed to be able to wiggle up a bit.
The other rectangular connect appears it might have some sort of release clip, but I pressed and pulled the clip, while pulling on the connector, but nothing budged.
The auto transmission is slipping out of top gear and I got a "solenoid E stuck" error code.
I had this problem back in 2010 and it happened 3 times at the same location, about 50 km from my house and then the problem never occurred again, until just now, at the same location, 50 km from my house.
I almost think it might be a cell tower signal, scrambling the computer in the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #104
BIMMERKID21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98852
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZTS Twilight Blue

FF Reputation: 1 BIMMERKID21 Good Standing Member
i believe our first gen's require Ford MERCON LV.. low viscosity.. that might have been your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisdude_05 View Post
No it was Mercon V.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #105
BernardZX2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32245
What I Drive: 1999 ZX2

FF Reputation: 1 BernardZX2 Good Standing Member
It does not bang into gear down shifting from 40 mph. It has not done the slipping/grinding symptoms in a while. But have not driven it for an extended period of time either (more than 30 minutes).
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #106
Red07focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115251
What I Drive: 07 candy apple red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Red07focus Good Standing Member
Hi peeps, I have been having some shifting issues with my 07 Focus. Really bad after driving 20min plus and worse uphill, downhill, around sharp curves and in stop and go traffic. It will struggle to accelerate below 30mph, sometimes vibrates and I have to let up on the gas. Anyway I have been to the mechanic several times, I got some work done that I needed like a new transmission mount and engine mount and transmission flush but Im still having the main issues. Today I just got tired of it and stopped by this old looking garage. The guy was super nice, drove it for a while and told me its the solenoids but I don't have any lights on the dash. I dropped it off at a transmission shop, they will diagnose for free and let me tomorrow whats up. I haven't had MAJOR issues with my car but due to the quality of Ford cars I have to keep up with maintenance very closely. Will keep yall posted, hope its not too bad ($$$).
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #107
TydlwavS
Focus Enthusiast

Guys and Gals,

There is a TSB for the drum in the trans. Let me be clear. If you're having shifting issues take the car to Ford to have the issue diagnosed and ask about the TSB for the drum.

Take it from me...don't try to let a trashy trans shop fix the issue. They won't even look for any Ford TSB's and they're gonna charge you for a full rebuild($1500 plus). In my case they did this and didn't even replace the drum. Most shops also charge for a "new case" (if needed) but they use a remanned version of something they pulled out of another Focus and NOT a new Ford case. The rebuild I paid for failed after 450 miles and I had to go to Ford anyway.

Start with Ford if you're having trans issues and ask about the drum. I had bang shifting, shuddering/chattering in the 3/4 range both into 4 and downshifting out of 4. I had no issues with 1, 2 or reverse. My trans eventually started to slip since the damaged drum was causing bang shifting and there was fluid in the grooves of the drum. The clutches were burned too. I can even load the pics(see below). The drum had visible grooves worn and the trans cooler was FULL of metal shavings. I now have a remanned Ford trans and learned my lesson the hard way. Remanned trans was $2200 plus $600 installation with a 3 year/36k mile warranty. The trans shops will only do a year warranty. I have A LOT of documentation to show that a well known trans shops near me didn't put the car back as they should have so save yourself the headache.

TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE FORD DEALER! ASK THEM TO ROAD TEST, DIAGNOSE and LOOK FOR TSB's before they pull it apart. There's a lot of discussion here about solenoids and I've read about internal wiring harness issues. Trust me, have the car properly diagnosed!!!

03 SVT #442 - (LEMON)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #108
TydlwavS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red07focus View Post
Hi peeps, I have been having some shifting issues with my 07 Focus. Really bad after driving 20min plus and worse uphill, downhill, around sharp curves and in stop and go traffic. It will struggle to accelerate below 30mph, sometimes vibrates and I have to let up on the gas. Anyway I have been to the mechanic several times, I got some work done that I needed like a new transmission mount and engine mount and transmission flush but Im still having the main issues. Today I just got tired of it and stopped by this old looking garage. The guy was super nice, drove it for a while and told me its the solenoids but I don't have any lights on the dash. I dropped it off at a transmission shop, they will diagnose for free and let me tomorrow whats up. I haven't had MAJOR issues with my car but due to the quality of Ford cars I have to keep up with maintenance very closely. Will keep yall posted, hope its not too bad ($$$).
I am willing to bet it's NOT a soldenoid. I didn't have codes either. Blip the throttle in 3/4 and see if it bangs into gear. I tried a valve body myself before going the rebuild route. Take the car to Ford and don't waste your time or money on shops that don't know these cars. I speak from experience.

PS, the trans shop I visited the first time tried three different valve bodies and none of them (with new solenoids) fixed the issue. That doesn't account for the remanned one I tried before I brought them the car. It was an internal failure. Save the parts if you get a rebuild and post pictures. Always ask for the old parts before you pay.

LV is the fluid now recommended by Ford.

If anyone wants to try a remanned valve body I have one for sale on ebay for 125.00. Shoot me a pm. My new trans is working great and I dont need this remanned valve body anymore. I paid 330+.
03 SVT #442 - (LEMON)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #109
TydlwavS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardZX2 View Post
It does not bang into gear down shifting from 40 mph. It has not done the slipping/grinding symptoms in a while. But have not driven it for an extended period of time either (more than 30 minutes).
Sounds like the drum, but only a tear down will tell. Check with your local Ford dealer about the internal direct drum tsb.
03 SVT #442 - (LEMON)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #110
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 21 amc49 Great Standing Member
I cannot find any tsb online but it's a known fact that the 4F27E end cover wears funky to let either the direct drum or reverse or both leak at seal rings and they then tear up drums and clutch packs since not enough pressure to lock them up. I see bushing ride area and seal groove wear in the pics there.

Solenoids are the new pet buzz word used when anything happens with these trannies, actually they fail pretty rarely. Most are changed for no reason at all.

First gen cars use Mercon V not LV...................................

Last edited by amc49; 05-31-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks