Problem (?) after Volant & throttle body install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
pvjhawk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1710
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pvjhawk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Problem (?) after Volant & throttle body install

Hi everyone! I'm a middle-aged professor experiencing his first car with mods. I just had a Volant CAI and the Focus Central 65mm throttle body installed at my Ford dealer. Great throttle response , but I'm finding I'm having to relearn to use the throttle! What used to be normal throttle usage now can at times lead to me looking like I'm riding a bucking bronco! (please no comments on learn how to drive!) Backing off too quickly lurches me forward! Is this relearning and "bucking" similar to what others have found? Obviously, I don't buck all the time, just when I'm in a bit too much of a hurry and not paying attention to the required new driving style! Also, whenever I'm starting off from a stop light, I find I have to give my car more gas than before the install. Otherwise, the engine dies. Is this normal, or did my installer goof up somewhere? This doesn't bode well for driving my manual in rush-hour traffic. I called Volant, and they say I shouldn't have to give it more throttle to keep it from dying. Focus Central says maybe there's a vacuum or fuel leak at the throttle body. Otherwise, they say there should be no problems. I'd just like to know what "typical" is after installing these two devices, so I'll know whether it's me, or the mods, who need tweaking! My suspicion is it's me. So I'm taking my Focus back to have the tech check it out anyway. This forum is a great place for people of all ages and experiences to help and get help. Right now, I need advice from all of you who have much more knowledge and experience than I have! Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 01:53 AM   #2
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
well does it sound like there is an air leak? does it go ssss when u first get goin? it may be just you too... just keep drivin till u get used to it.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
dudemanzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2698
What I Drive: 03' Poop White ZX3 2.3L/ 90' Pigeon Grey Camry Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dudemanzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you do hear a hiss, make sure it's not coming from your cai. They make a hissing noise when you give it a little gas.
Custom Magnaflow catback exh w/ 2.5 inch piping
Old 06-15-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
Vassili95
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Do you feel that the gas pedal is sticky??

Peace...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
The sticky throttle got me too.
I messed with the throttle cable and stuff then someone told me to turn the idle screw a little bit and the sticky throttle was resolved.
The throttle butterfly/plate inside gets wedged or something at the idle postion.

When the throttle was sticky, I would buck off the line sometimes because I had to apply enough pressure on the gas/throttle to pop/unstick the throttle.
When I would press on the gas, it wouldn't go then I give a little more pressure and the throttle unsticks.

It was also intermittent. Would only do it when the temp outside was colde.

Well, I turned my idle screw about 1/4 turn and my throttle hasn't been sticky since.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #6
frogg5872
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2578
What I Drive: one slow focus...for now

FF Reputation: 1 frogg5872 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The throttle response is amazing ( i mean tap a little too hard and your bucking like a horse)
and takes time to relearn. I know my car SOUNDS like it will stall easier when in fact it wont. Check hoses tho and make sure the breather is connected to the volant and make sure nothing is loose already

Bookmarks & Social Networks