From Mach HIDs to ST170s... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Phacade
Chronic Curmudgeon

Fan#: 32246
What I Drive: '03 EAP SVTF

FF Reputation: 11 Phacade Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
From Mach HIDs to ST170s...

I thought I'd ask our resident ST170 gurus a few ST170 questions, but considering there are a lot of smart cookies here; I figured I'd paste a PM I sent to him and ask the same query to y'all for additional input and direction (granted I'm still talking to a few guys about actually trading my HIDs for their ST170s).

I've seen a lot of ST170 questions, mostly folks adding them in when they've got regular stockers and upgrading, but after an extensive search; I didn't find much going the other way. I am totally thinking of doing the unthinkable - trading my Mach HIDs for some ST170s. Yeah, I'm nutty like that, but it comes with questions. Lots of questions...

1). I userstand most Foci need to use the VW harness to get ST170s wired up, but I've also been told that I'm already wired up since I've got the Mach HIDs factory in my '03 EAP SVT, ST170s are basically "plug and play" for me. Is this correct?

2). I also believe that when my brights come on, my regular headlights stay on. Would this also continue to happen with some ST170s (as I'd like them to).

3). What about the signal/parking light/city light? Would I have to mod anything else in there?

I totally appreciate your time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Phacade
Chronic Curmudgeon

Hello? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
shepski
Banned

Fan#: 45523
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver SVT ZX5, #328 of 1079

FF Reputation: 53 shepski Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Are your HIDs in so-so shape or something? I mean you can get ST170s SHIPPED from european-parts for under $400 and then maybe make a small profit on your HIDs....

Otherwise, I'LL buy the ST170s and trade ya! (Although I prefer the aesthetics of the ST170s, ain't no way they'll match the HIDs for light output...)
Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
they will bolt right in

low beams stay on when highs go on

no you dont have to modify anything. everything will work flawlessly. make sure you get good bulbs. i suggest PIAAs...or HELLAs
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Phacade
Chronic Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepski View Post
Are your HIDs in so-so shape or something? I mean you can get ST170s SHIPPED from european-parts for under $400 and then maybe make a small profit on your HIDs....

Otherwise, I'LL buy the ST170s and trade ya! (Although I prefer the aesthetics of the ST170s, ain't no way they'll match the HIDs for light output...)

Actually my HIDs are in great shape, but they're just...not me. I thought about buying some new and then turning a profit on my HIDs but I don't have the cashola (two little girls have an amazing way of siphoning my frogbacks). But heck yeah, if you bought new smoked ST170s, I'd definitely trade you straight up.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Sn4ckM4st3r
Banned

Fan#: 24432
What I Drive: 2002 Stealth ZX3

FF Reputation: 91 Sn4ckM4st3r Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yeah i agree PIAA or HELLA are fine. Don't run HID like some or i will cry.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
shepski
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
Actually my HIDs are in great shape, but they're just...not me. I thought about buying some new and then turning a profit on my HIDs but I don't have the cashola (two little girls have an amazing way of siphoning my frogbacks). But heck yeah, if you bought new smoked ST170s, I'd definitely trade you straight up.

Understood on the cash situation.

Okay, I may just place the order with Europe this week - been wanting to do so anyway (I need to have SOMETHING to match my new ST170 grille!)...
Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Sn4ckM4st3r
Banned

Fan#: 24432
What I Drive: 2002 Stealth ZX3

FF Reputation: 91 Sn4ckM4st3r Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You could paint the machs black and then laminx them with a darker smoke then ya couldn't really tell lol. I did it with my retro fits can't really tell whats in there until they are on.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
shepski
Banned

Just looked at some of your pics (pre-accident). NICE car. I love the wheels, the SAP diffuser, and the aluminum fuel door - which just looks so awesome on silver (I had the kit from Redline, but wimped-out on installing it and sent it back to them). Very, very sweet.

And, yeah, ST170s would look way better on your car (as they would on mine), but I'm just gonna keep looking at Massive's car to see how good a CD Silver SVT can look with HIDs IF it's got an ST170 grille on it, too...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.