Car wont start - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
dttaz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57821
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dttaz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car wont start

Hey im posting this for my roomate, he drives an 03 Focus SVT and a few weeks ago he found out his throttle positioning sensor was bad, so a couple weeks ago i replaced it for him and the car was running perfect yesterday he let our friend drive it and while driving it the car bogged down and died like it wasnt getting fuel, he restarted it and had to keep it high rpm to make it back home once the turbo kicked in the car was fine. he got it back and the car wouldnt idle for long at all, we figured clogged fuel filter or bad gas, so we went and got some isoheat to get the water out and but we tried to start the car up to get the fluids movin and the car wouldnt start. so when we looked under the hood i noticed a cracked weld on his exhaust manifold letting allot of pressure out, we figured to jb weld it just to see if it would start up and drive around the corner to the mechanic. So we patched it up and the car will hardly run on its own power once we stop turning the key it will chug a couple times and die. Could it be a clogged fuel filter or something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,286, Level 85
Points: 18,286, Level: 85 Points: 18,286, Level: 85 Points: 18,286, Level: 85
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
That JB Weld won't hold one bit. It's not made for heat. I've tried.

It kinda sounds like a MAFS (mass air flow sensor) problem. I would try cleaning it with MAF cleaner.
Then the typical stuff, check for boost leaks.

I really wouldn't think it where fuel related. That actually makes no sense at all. Why would it run under pressure/load but not under idle.

Check air related things.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
dttaz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57821
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dttaz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I know the jb weld wouldnt hold that was more or less just a test to see if that was what it was, and it wasnt because the car still wont start. so i got to thinking that the check engine light should come on, we check if it lights up when he first turns the key and it didnt light up so we took the cluster apart and what do ya know the bulb for the check engine light had been removed. called the dealer they said call back monday to speak with the manager, if they dont try to solve the problem he is just going to talk to navy legal and some jag officer will give em a call

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.