engine revs when shifted - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
yjman92
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107008
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 1 yjman92 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
engine revs when shifted

hello i drive an 04 svt focus. and recently it has had a hanging rev and even revs up by itself when i switch gears. i would love to know how to fix it and it only recently started in the past day or two. the changes that have recently been made are colder weather, and i fixed my imrc because it was stuck open. now has no codes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
mlcarlson56
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99119
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 mlcarlson56 Good Standing Member
I just had this issue happen today and have started looking into it. At first I thought the throttle body might be sticking but then when it started to rev further than I had depressed the throttle to begin with I knew it had to be more than that. The weird thing about it is that when the car slows to a stop, below 5mph, the engine will return to normal idle rpm. Above 5mph though anytime the clutch is in or I am out of gear the engine revs to around 5,000. Obviously I would like to be able to look at the engine while driving but having my hood open and going +5mph might be a safety hazard... The other thing I was thinking is that my cruise control could be acting up as this is the only other thing that can act on the throttle body to rev the engine, however i made sure that it was switched off while I was having this issue.

I will keep looking into it and if I figure out anything, I'll be sure to pass it on. If anyone has some suggestions I would like to get this fixed as well without taking it to a shop and paying for it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
yjman92
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarlson56 View Post
I just had this issue happen today and have started looking into it. At first I thought the throttle body might be sticking but then when it started to rev further than I had depressed the throttle to begin with I knew it had to be more than that. The weird thing about it is that when the car slows to a stop, below 5mph, the engine will return to normal idle rpm. Above 5mph though anytime the clutch is in or I am out of gear the engine revs to around 5,000. Obviously I would like to be able to look at the engine while driving but having my hood open and going +5mph might be a safety hazard... The other thing I was thinking is that my cruise control could be acting up as this is the only other thing that can act on the throttle body to rev the engine, however i made sure that it was switched off while I was having this issue.

I will keep looking into it and if I figure out anything, I'll be sure to pass it on. If anyone has some suggestions I would like to get this fixed as well without taking it to a shop and paying for it.
i am having almost the same exact symptoms, it seems like it has acted up in the cold weather. my throttle body was sticking and i cleaned it and it solved those symptoms but not the reving symptoms. so i know its not a throttle body problem. thanks man, ive heard that a tune could do wonders including clear this up
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
mlcarlson56
Focus Rookie

I actually took it to one of my buddies who owns a shop to see if he could help. We did some more digging around and testing. Turned out that the TPS was going bad and that was causing the revving issue. We replaced that and now it seems to be driving fine. He did make sure to mention that this sensor can go bad if the throttle body itself is starting to go bad so I am going to keep an eye on that in the future.

The part was fairly inexpensive so I hope this helps you.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
yjman92
Focus Enthusiast

awesome man!!! i will def give this a try, this really helps. ill let u know what happens. thanks for passing on the info
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
mlcarlson56
Focus Rookie

Well bad news, it started doing the same wierd rev thing when I shift. For now it is just holding where it was but I am assuming it will get worse again. I did find another post on the forum that may be of help. Just figured I would share it because I just found it and started to read through it. Hope it can help us both!
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301375
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to General Technical Chat.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Kettenhund
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83324