New invention...3rd fan setup for engine bay - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
New invention...3rd fan setup for engine bay

Here's the latest of my little inventions....the first involving this Focus. Feel free to build your own, but if anybody wants to buy the design for possible resale, PM me.

The idea here is to remove some of the hot air that tends to heat up the engine bay of these cars. I suspect this design could be applied to most of the Focus models, with modifications of course. The air is blasted downward, and out through the exhaust tunnel. This mod would be particularly effective when in slow-moving traffic.

The whole setup is in it's initial stages, and under-going testing, so no temperature readings are available yet. Obviously the more powerful the fan, the better it will work. I have several different fans of this size (120mmx38mm). This one has an aluminum frame, is rubber mounted to it's bracket, and really cannot be heard if the AC is on. There's enough space available back there to mount two fans, side-by side.

If you're doing this yourself, make sure the fan is mounted to the engine.....or to the body, not to both. There has to be some movement available. The setup as shown has about 1" clearance to an AC line.....should be plenty if your motor-mounts are in good shape.

How to power it? Several ways....manually with an on/off switch, wired to come on with the ignition, wired to come on with either radiator fan, controlled by a temperature sensor, etc. I'll be testing various methods. Ideas or criticism welcomed.....

All the photos of this setup can be seen in this album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you remove your rubber weather stripping from the cowl it will lower you temps alot more than that fan.............
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
lol is that a fan from over the oven in the kitchen? not a bad idea but i dont think i could do that , thats where my turbo setup is going. 03 orangesvt is right though, just cut the weather striping and you'll be good.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Perhaps so about the weather-strip.....maybe not just sitting still in traffic. This fan mod avoids opening up the rear edge of the hood, which affords possible entry of engine fumes into the cabin, and water splashing into the engine bay during heavy rains.

It's relatively easy to do.....I had to drill a single hole into the manifold heat-shield. The fan comes off in seconds.....three nuts hold it on.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I have heard people talking about cutting that stripping, but what happens with water and/or snow then?

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
paulhaskew
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22729
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 3 paulhaskew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I have seen ZERO issues with having my weather stripping removed... I put it on when giving the car a bath but thats about it...
Motive Racing - [> = my friend!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
nov173
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29840
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 79 nov173 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
water gets in the bay regardless... so its not going to affect it.

For Sale: Rear bumper(stock). SVT side skirts FS as well. Buy em!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
wood_e
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49788
What I Drive: a car and a suv

FF Reputation: 5 wood_e Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
so what is the point of this mod? A cooler engine bay? for a stock or nearly stock car it's pointless.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
theWorst
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55690
What I Drive: 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 6 theWorst Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
err.... i think you'll need some kind of funnel.. or it just gonna get ambient hot air from the exhaust...

you need to find a way to channel it..

personally i think inventing stuff is cool.. and its a cool invention...

but i wouldn't do it. rear seal is fine enough for me... and now i've opened the front end by a few mm... i think i'm good.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

I did this for several reasons......my hood is completely sealed on all the edges. I added weather-strip in a bunch of places. The rain channels on the edges by the fenders have been modified to dump any water that might get in, to the outside, not the engine bay. The only place water enters the bay is through the radiator, when it's raining.....or maybe driving through puddles. Needless-to-say, this sort of sealing does raise the eng bay temperature.

I have never liked the idea of water getting into the eng bay just sitting there, in the rain. This eng compartment stays dry unless I drive in the rain....seldom. Then.....I'm going to install a Steeda SRI, and I want the filter to stay dry, and not be hurt by hot intake air.

This setup is one of the steps to insure that will happen...

Besides.....black cars run faster, and three fans cool better than two. Right?

Bookmarks & Social Networks