2008 Cruise Control - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Patatoe1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55177
What I Drive: 08 Vapor Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Patatoe1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Patatoe1
Focus Enthusiast

Any updates Mike?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Patatoe1
Focus Enthusiast

Gotta bump this.... I really want the cruise!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
mikeswaggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 57112
What I Drive: 2008 Vapor Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 mikeswaggs Good Standing Member
Gentlemen, I have done it! Cruise is installed and complete. It works perfectly. As my post had noted, all you need to do is purchase the steering wheel and then have the dealer reprogram the ECM. The cruise control for all 2008 Focus's is in the 'programmable parameters' portion of the ECM. There is also a SSM (special service message) that I have sitting on my desk at work that is from Ford telling the dealers how to do it. FYI, the only thing I have not yet figured out is how to get the audio controls on the steering wheel to work. The steering wheel I purchased was the leather wrapped with cruise and audio controls, minus sync. At this time, my cruise works perfectly, including the telltale on the instrument cluster, but the audio controls do not. So unless you are ok with dead buttons on your steering wheel, buy the steering wheel with only the cruise buttons. Please PM me or respond here if you have any further questions. I'll be more than happy to answer them. And for all of you that have been waiting for me to get this done, sorry for being such a slug. I was busy!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
rebelboy6121987
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58470
What I Drive: 2008, Vista Blue, S coupe

FF Reputation: 5 rebelboy6121987 Good Standing Member
how much did everything cost you?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
mikeswaggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Cost:

Steering wheel, leather with cruise and audio(minus sync): $200.00
Programming: $89.00 at Dealer. (I think this will vary from dealer to dealer and you can probably get it free if you are persuasive)

Its definitely worth it, I use it now everyday.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Patatoe1
Focus Enthusiast

Hey Mike, how difficult was it to install the steering wheel? Any tips on that?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
mikeswaggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The steering wheel is much easier than it seems. Here is the process that I followed:

Remove battery cables for at least 5 mins ( this seems like bogus to me, but it was suggested and I had success, so why not?)

Looking at the back of the steering wheel, from underneath, there is a small cutout in the steering column that allows you to access three circular connection points for the airbag to the steering wheel. In the circle you can see a metal clip that retains the airbag. Using a flat head screwdriver, unclip the airbag by rotating the screwdriver in the hole against the metal clip. The airbag is spring loaded and will pop loose when the metal clip is moved.

Do this for all three clips. The steering wheel will need to be rotated to access all the connection points.

Once the clips are loose, you can now remove the airbag from the steering wheel, unclipping the electrical connector from the clockspring. There is also on other wire that I believe you can unhook from the airbag, leaving the pigtail on the steering wheel. (from memory).

Once the airbag is gone, the only part left is to loosen the steering wheel bolt and remove the steering wheel. I used a three jar puller, but I don't think it is necessary. I don't think there is much of a press fit on the shaft. Also, the steering wheel can only go on one way; the design of the teeth that fit onto the shaft only allow the wheel to be installed one way.

Once the new wheel is installed, making sure the clockspring is in the correct location as it was on the old wheel, re install the bolt. (not sure of the torque required). The airbag will quickly plug into the clockspring, as well as the new wheel connectors (for the cruise buttons). The airbag then snaps back into the steering wheel and you are now complete.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
Patatoe1
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for that write up Mike. I'll probably head to the dealer this weekend to see what I can work out with them. Maybe if I buy the wheel from them, they can throw in the programming.

Have you been working with your dealer to see if the audio controls will work, or are you not going to go that far?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
mikeswaggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I did work with the dealer on the audio controls, but to no avail. Unfortunately, I don't think they really tried, they just said that they didn't see anything in the programming for audio. I very much want to figure it out, part because I would love to have the controls, and partly because I hate having something on my car that doesn't work. I work in Detroit for an auto supplier and was actually at Ford this morning working on the water pump seals that I sell. I am going to try to find someone at Ford that knows the radio and the system and see if they can tell me what to do. It may take time, but I am going to try.

Bookmarks & Social Networks