Horror Stories of the Rear Drum/Bearing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
KJsZX5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52563
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 KJsZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Exclamation Horror Stories of the Rear Drum/Bearing

So I have to replace the rear wheel bearing on my FoFo and started reading everyone's responses as to how horrible taking things apart back there are. Is it really that bad?!

I have the "hum" in the bearings so I bought these at Auto Zone... http://www.autozone.com/R,APP982368/...ductDetail.htm (Its the hub with the bearing already pressed in.)

Will I also need to have this pressed onto the drum or should this come with the drum??

Was also considering replacing the rear brakes but it seems like those are a pain as well.

Just nervous I will get things apart and then can't get them back together again with the car sitting in my friend's drive way! I haven't done any work in this area of the car before and was trying to save some money by doing it myself. Local shops were wanting $340+ to fix with one shop telling me they would need the car for the whole day and it would run me $450 to fix the "hum" alone!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The bearing is what is pressed into the brake drum. You'll have to have the old one pressed out and a new one pressed in. While the autozone description didn't provide much in the way of info, I'm guessing its a new bearing and a new spindle....but as I said, that's just a guess. I doubt you will need a new spindle unless you had bearing problems. Brake drums are sold with and without bearings installed.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
MaroonZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
When dealing with drum brakes, do one side at a time. That way you have a reference of how it goes together.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
Fordfreak3368
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3515
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Fordfreak3368 Good Standing Member
My bearing was a total mess. My right rear starting howling but i didnt have the money to do it. When i finally did do it the darn thing pretty much fell right off, with the inner race seized to the spindle and the outer race seized in the drum. I had to take my spindle of and put an air chisel to get the bearing off of it, and I smashed by ABS ring and the only hub napa had was non abs, so now my abs light is on until I get another ring. When you get the new one just make sure you ask if its the whole hub with bearing and all. and you don't have to take the brakes apart to do the bearing.
Team Focus Cleveland #4 is now up for grabs
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
thisdude_05
Thou shall fear me!

Fan#: 50808
What I Drive: 2009 Scion tC

FF Reputation: 27 thisdude_05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The link you have in your OP is for the bearing only. I know cuz I had to buy it. But it's cheaper at Checkers if you have one around. I think I paid like $40. And just take the drum to anyone with a press and they'll do it for you. But don't forget to put the ABS ring back on or your ABS light will be on. I paid $40 for the bearing and $25 to have the old one pressed out and the new one pressed in.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
KJsZX5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52563
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 KJsZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
FrogSpot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87997
What I Drive: 2002 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 FrogSpot Good Standing Member
It's not bad

I'm no mechanic but I just replaced the drum with the bearing preinstalled. My biggest problem was that the auto parts stores kept selling me the wrong parts. I finally took the old one into Autozone and the guy matched the item. The uninstall was easy. I just rented an electric impact wrench with a 30mm deep socket for $8 from the hardware store. And borrowed a torque wrench from the auto parts store ($80 deposit which I got back when returned). The drum slipped off with a little prying (make sure the e-brake is not on) then the new one just slips back on the same way and tightens down. Torque to 233 LB.

The problem is that no one mentioned that I also need an ABS ring on the new drum. apparently no auto parts store can get that so FORD is going to charge me over $50 for that little ring. They don't have it in stock yes so I'll have to wait to get that put on. I don't know why Autozone sold me the drum without the ABS ring when the ABS ring is required!!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,584, Level 37
Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
You can remove the ring from the old drum and reinstall on the new. It takes some creative prying, but its doable.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogSpot View Post
I don't know why Autozone sold me the drum without the ABS ring when the ABS ring is required!!

A lot of early (maybe most?) foci did not come standard with ABS. My 03 ZX3 did not have ABS. IF you told them the car had ABS then yes, they should have provided you with the right parts. Did you check Tousley Ford for their ring price?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
2003zx5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84545
What I Drive: White 2012 SEL sedan

Points 276, Level 5
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2003zx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just did my rear drum brakes last night. Not too bad. At least not as bad as what I have been reading. It all started yesterday morning going to work I heard a grinding noise. I wanted to pull the drum off at work and check the shoes but I could not get the drum off. So last night I rented a hub puller - what they use to remove the front hubs on front wheel drive vehicles. Pulled the tire, used 2 of the lug bolts to install the hub puller and the drum still needed to be pryed off. Once I got the drum off I saw the problem. The shoes were delaminted and the lining was in two pieces. The drum had a gouge around the outside edge which prevented me from just pulling the drums off. All the hardware was rusted and the adjuster was frozen. I got it all freed up, put it back together and moved onto the other side which was a whole lot easier.

I purchased new drums w/bearings, shoes and hardware.

The one thing I did notice is that the new drums did not come with the oil seal sleeve - this was on the backside and is a ring that slides over the rubber seal on the spindle. You have to make sure that you pop the old sleeve out and install it into the new drum or water and brake dust will get into the bearings.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.