Cruise control not working - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
sathyan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54480
What I Drive: 2007 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 sathyan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cruise control not working

Car: 2007 Ford Focus SE

I bought a used Focus (no warranty) which has the buttons for cruise control. I did not test cruise control during my test drive so don't know if it ever worked. Everything else works fine.
When I turn on the cruise control I get no response - the speedcontrol light on the dash does not illuminate. If I press "set/acc" and take my foot off the gas, the car does not hold its speed.

I've checked the following:
-checked fuse #53 inside and #29 under hood - appear to be in good condition
-third brake light works

Is there anything else to check? Or do myself (with no specialized tools)?

How much could it cost to have the cruise control fixed?

thanks,
Sathyan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
There is a switch that disengages the cruise control when you press the brake. If it is defective or loose, the cruise will not work. Are your brake lights working?

It also is possible the cable a the throttle body for the cruise control is broken of has come loose.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47719
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE

FF Reputation: 72 ShamrockSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
another possibilty is the clock spring, which is located under the airbag in your steering wheel.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
briancotten
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76713
What I Drive: 2006 Charcoal Gray ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 briancotten Good Standing Member
Sathyan,

I'm not familiar with which models are automatic transmission and which are not. My ZX4 is and the cruise seemed to stop working sometimes and start working other times. Either way, you can try this at no cost and it resolved my isssue. When the clutch is pushed in to shift, that also turns off the cruise control. I put my foot under the clutch pedal and lifted the clutch petal up, after which allows the crusie control to work. Basically, when I push the clutch in, it disengages the cruise, then when I let off the clutch, it doesn't always come back up high enough to allow the cruise to work again. Lifting the clutch reengages the switch and allows the cruise to work once more. Maybe this simple fix will help you as well. If this is the case for you as well, maybe you can have the dealer adjust the clutch pedal so it comes higher up after pressing, or try taking a spring or bunjee cord and hooking it up in a way that pulls the clutch higher up when released.

Bookmarks & Social Networks