Where, Oh Where can the Heater Hose Be? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
glee46
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56867
What I Drive: 2001 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 glee46 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Where, Oh Where can the Heater Hose Be?

I'm doing a radiator flush this AM. I'm replacing the T-stat and of course the manual is a little on the vague side of where things are located. I know many just pour the coolant into the reservoir, but I would like to find the heater hose.
My focus is a 2001 SE Wagon.. Thanks.
Glee

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhereOhWhere.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	15704

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I believe on the back of the t-stat housing. With those crappy factory hose clamps.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The heater hoses come from the back of the engine compartment under the intake manifold, and go to the heater core on the lower part of the passenger side of the firewall. It's easier to access the heater hoses from under the car.

When I've done an engine/radiator flush, I've found it better not to install the thermostat immediately. Use the radiator hoses to back flush the engine after you flush it in the right direction. Just install the thermostat housing without the thermostat for this operation. I generally flush with water until the water is clear. It's a good idea to flush the heater core as well, AND use a hose connector to join the two hoses together bypassing the heater core while you flush the engine. This prevents some rust from settling in the heater core. Fords aren't as prone to rust buildup in the heater core as much as other vehicles that use a valve to regulate heater core operation.

You can probably get away with flushing the engine both ways, then flushing the heater core by itself to save the trouble of using the other method I mentioned.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^ Thats what I meant. LOL
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
glee46
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56867
What I Drive: 2001 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 glee46 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stripped the bolts

Well, everything was going almost right until I tried to put the hex bolts back in to put the t-stat in. So, now it's I hope there is an auto parts place open around here today. Can I use anything from a hardware store which might be the same size?

Thanks,

Glee
Got it on, no leaks, life is good..
Thanks

Last edited by glee46; 07-06-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks