Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: 55 MPH Speed Limit
For 55 MPH Limit 79 6.55%
Against 55 MPH Limit 1,008 83.51%
I'm fine with whichever 120 9.94%
Voters: 1207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #71
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJohnson View Post
Gotta disagree on this one point, but everything else you said was right on.

The Constitution was put in place to spell out how the government should be run and to restrict government. It was not to grant our individual rights and freedoms. I'm free to walk down the street, but the Constitution doesn't say I have that right. Same thing with driving or riding a horse.
All due respect, but this is an INCORRECT statement.

The first 10 amendments to the Constitution grant you several rights.

The right to freedom of religion

The right to bear arms

The right to assemble

The right to free speech

The right to protection against illegal search and seizure

and on down the line.

My point here not to provide a civics lesson. You are correct in the sense that you are not guaranteed the ability to walk down the street, ride a horse, or even drive a car. As Viney indicated, that's up to the States.

To your point, the Constitution provides basic rights AND a framework for a national governing body.

The laws that the states create cannot conflict with and are superceded by Federal law. For example, the state of Kentucky can't amputate someone's hand for stealing because it is conflict with the Constitution gauranteeing protection from cruel and unusual punishment.

OK, back on topic.

Drilling in Alaska and in the Gulf of Mexico. Good idea or bad idea doesn't enter into the current equation. If the ban was lifted tomorrow, it would be TEN YEARS before any relief was felt.

As I said before, I am not in favor of a 55MPH speed limit, but at the same time you have to pay to play. The gas crunch we are feeling right now was brought upon us by ourselves and our behavior.

That simple.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #72
Brindfan
Infidel

Fan#: 48126
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatch - Race Red

FF Reputation: 25 Brindfan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Dammit! Why didn't this show up when I did a search???
Hatch Nation#61 B.T.T.C.#3 ATX Faction#37 Rocky Mtn. Crew#3
Old 07-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #73
LongDongStud
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55303
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 LongDongStud Good Standing Member
if the reason was to save lives then maybe i would give it some thought (but i still would not agree) but to save gas is bullshit, bottem line is that fuel is going to run dry no matter what we do, why pospone it? why stop the fun i have driving fast?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #74
fishbone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52644
What I Drive: Legacy GT, Mini Cooper S

FF Reputation: 3 fishbone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhaha2 View Post
Agreed. Why not just make a GAS SAVERS LANE? u can granny drive all u want on the GAS SAVERS LANE lol.
Supposebly we already have that, it's called the first travel lane. What needs to happen is cops issuing more tickets to those that travel in the passing lane, going at or under the speed limit. This is already happening in some states, it should happen in more or all, imho.

For those of you that voted YES to this bill, I am going to assume you're concerned about the gas situation [like the rest of us] and you voted for that reason. Your problem is one of myopia. You think you should make it mandatory for all to drive at 55mph, instead of giving people the freedom of choice to drive 55, 60, 65 or higher where applicable. The myopia lies in the fact that you still have gas-guzzling SUVs traveling at said 55mph that still get WORSE mileage than a Corolla going 70.

So what's next, in your opinion? Ban SUVs? I would lose no sleep if that were to happen from an SUV point of view, but damn if I'll stand for it from a rights point of view.

Let it be my choice how I drive. If I want to get good mileage then I can drive 10mph under the limit, stay out of boost and get 28mpg. If I have to be somewhere then I'll drive the speed limit or the tolerated 5mph over and suck up the 24mpg.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #75
Lolly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 54702
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy Colorado

FF Reputation: 21 Lolly Great Standing Member
^^^ well spoken.
Gump Crew #17 Zetec Crew #267
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
lolli lolli lolli lolli let me see you pop that body
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_gEEk View Post
Lolly lolly lolly lolly let me see you pop that body.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #76
fishbone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52644
What I Drive: Legacy GT, Mini Cooper S

FF Reputation: 3 fishbone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You know, with the recent sentiment ever since such events as 9/11 and the war in Iraq, one could actually argue
"every time you gun it, you put money in Arab pockets"
or
"drive slow, help us lessen our dependency on foreign oil"
or
"be a patriot. drive 20mph"
Old 07-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #77
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
^How about;
"Be a patriot, drill here"

It's easy to sit on your @$$ and blame the oil companies, how about calling on Congress to repeal it's un-American restrictions on gathering U.S. oil?

As I said before, we have more oil in Alaska alone than Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Venezuela have combined.

Plus there are the capped oil wells all over the midwest that have oil just sitting there, but we aren't allowed to get it.

I'm not going to change my habits. Congress needs to change theirs.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #78
TKE_Quailman
FF God of South FL

Fan#: 44442
What I Drive: 07 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 35 TKE_Quailman Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The pricice of oil is 30- 40% specualtion

In theory if like 5 countrys tommorow came out saying they have found huge oil reserves that would last 100 years and would take steps imediately to start dilling and refining gas prices would come crashing down.
Last of the Hatches #1
XBOX LIVE:TKE428
GIVE REP POINTS IF IM HELPFUL
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #79
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
SUVs and other gas-guzzlers are being phased out right now, sitting, rusting on dealer's lots all over. They virtually can't give them away. All because of the gas prices right now, and the prospect of higher and higher prices in the immediate future.....

That problem is solving itself with no new laws. But we still have the problem of the guzzlers out there right now......doing 75mph @ 12mpg. They could get a maybe 15-20% improvement on their mileage if the national speed limit was enforced at 55mph.

That would help the gas situation. Right now we're doing nothing. No new drilling, with people still driving like gas was .69 cents. Stupid.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #80
SonicBlues
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47670
What I Drive: 2013 Sonic Blue SE 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 SonicBlues Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhaha2 View Post
Agreed. Why not just make a GAS SAVERS LANE? u can granny drive all u want on the GAS SAVERS LANE lol.
amen just allow them to use something like the hov lane......granny uses the slow lane i use the hammer lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
there is no shortage of gas, nor have the arabs raised the price of gas substantially in the past year...

the price gouging is due to people playing the market...check forbes.com for info
amen to that as well....we have the oil just not enough refineries

if they did apply this horseshit of a law i can say good bye to using my 6th gear anymore

Bookmarks & Social Networks