Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: 55 MPH Speed Limit
For 55 MPH Limit 79 6.60%
Against 55 MPH Limit 1,000 83.54%
I'm fine with whichever 118 9.86%
Voters: 1197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #61
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yep.....the liberal attitudes regarding drilling, refineries, and everything else related to the auto industry, will have to change drastically if we want to continue the same way we have been going, and still drive 75mph in our cars.

But even if that should come about, it's a long-term solution. In the short-term we need to also take steps forward, such as using every possible method to cut down on usage. That includes a 55mph national limit. There are other short-term solutions even less user-friendly.

Gas rationing.....it's coming friends, unless we can get control of the situation quickly. The price of the gas alone will serve to decrease usage, but we need to go further. Bored at the thought of driving 55mph? You'll be more bored when the next gas station that is still open, is 50 miles away....and you've got about a gallon left in your tank. Still want to drive 75mph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #62
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trying to say that adjusting our driving habits will effectively lower is stupid. I love modern republicans, never has our government spent so much or tried to control more aspects of our life.

Anyway, $4 plus gas is good, maybe it'll force the US to make a cutural change before that change is entirely all too painful. We need to realize the following:
-Its not really feasible to live 25miles from your place of work
-There is no reason to drive a 4000 lb + personal vehicle
-The average size house has increased substantially
-Neighborhoods could actually be built so you can walk to run errands, walk to school, walk to church, walk to entertainment, etc.
-It is much more efficient to buy locally produced food in season, do we need to truck it accross the nation?
-We are the most wasteful nation on earth, we are a throw away culture
-The majority of the US public transit system is a joke
-The US needs a more robust rail system, both passenger and goods

Sure the freedom of having a car has defined American culture for over half a century...unfortunately that culture was based on the low price of a finite commodity.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #63
HyBalz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18573
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 49 HyBalz Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I would vote NO to the reduction of the speed limit to 55 mph....IF I were ever asked to vote someplace it would make a difference! Everyone loves sharing their opinions...here on this forum...but are any of you contacting your senators or representatives about this problem? Before you ask...No, I haven't either! We're all complainers, afraid to go out on that limb, to let the people who CAN do something about the problem, know our opinion. Flame on!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #64
viney266

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I was going to chime in but Weeasp beat me to it.

Driving is a PRIVLEDGE granted to us by the state. That is why we possess a liscense for it and you must be tested and PAY for that privledge

Owning Guns, free speach, etc. is a RIGHT. That is why you do not have to have permission to buy a gun or go to church.

^^ See why rights are so important now? The state can take away your privledge to drive ANYTIME they feel the need.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #65
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
We have enough freaking laws, and current speed limits are a joke. If you want to conserve gas, then increase the gas tax. Let people choose to drive faster if they want to pay for it. I always would.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #66
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
thats the problem whith people using decades old studies to prove something. yes, back when the cars did get better milage at 55 but that was due to the gearing of the trannies and diffs back then. today they are geared for the higher speeds.
55 sounds good in theory but does anyone know what it actually costs to change all the signs again? figure a minimum of 50 dollars per sign (rough estimate at 35$ pe sign and a very low install cost added also). this was one of the reasons it took so long to get rid of the 55 in the first place the cost to the state and fed to change over. were not talking a few thousand dollars, if i remember correctly the cost was way over 50 million.
once again this is your tax dollars.
if a study was done using todays cars the outlook for savings would be considerably less than they state.
my car at 55 is below the rpm it likes to run at. 65-75 is where it gets its best milage.

i agree on the way to and from FocusFest i actually got better gas in the 70-80mph area, and on LOOOONG open highways i see a 55mph limit SLOWING down all kinds of transportation as well as that of goods and services
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #67
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
Yep.....the liberal attitudes regarding drilling, refineries, and everything else related to the auto industry, will have to change drastically if we want to continue the same way we have been going, and still drive 75mph in our cars.

But even if that should come about, it's a long-term solution. In the short-term we need to also take steps forward, such as using every possible method to cut down on usage. That includes a 55mph national limit. There are other short-term solutions even less user-friendly.

Gas rationing.....it's coming friends, unless we can get control of the situation quickly. The price of the gas alone will serve to decrease usage, but we need to go further. Bored at the thought of driving 55mph? You'll be more bored when the next gas station that is still open, is 50 miles away....and you've got about a gallon left in your tank. Still want to drive 75mph?

currently the ONLY reason gas is high is BECAUSE everyone is freaking out in the market due to its

anyone wanting to go 55mph has obviously not had to ever be anywhere, or has never lived or been to a state where EVERYTHING is far apart.......... or been fast which is fun worth paying for and i already do it, pay for it that is
Old 07-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #68
theonly287
SUPER FAST

Fan#: 35996
What I Drive: 2001 Oxford White SVT Wannabe

FF Reputation: 1 theonly287 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I agree gas shortage my rear...its called price gouging...why else do you think Iran was going to shut down the canal? The gas consumption in this country has dropped 2 percent yet the price has risen over a dollar in that same year. Im not making the connection...WE NEED MORE DRILLING...BE AMERICAN VOTE REPUBLICAN.

hahaha

sorry go ahead flame away.

I <3 my SVT wannabe
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #69
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (57)
I agree with drilling more because we DO have our own reserves and places to drill that we've known about for decades.

I disagree with lowering the speeds. It will cause MORE conjestion and MORE accidents I think. I am not being retarded in saying this, but already just on this forum we see most people don't want to drive 55. So those that do, will drive 55 or less...just as they drive less than the 70mph limit now. So if most people are driving 70+ now, those going 60 or 55 now will go 50 prolly. And those that still speed or will be speeding will still be doing 70+. What if you're doing 75 or 80 and in your left lane all of a sudden there is a car pulling in front doing 50? You could cause serious accidents.

I think it's retarded for congress to try and make such a huge decrease in speeds at once. If anything is to happen, it must be gradual. And by gradual, I don't mean just speed limits, i mean alternate means of transportation to facilitate the public.

I have lots of other things to say, but I'll see what you all think of this...

Last edited by starfuryt550; 07-16-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: I didn't re-read what I posted for poopy spelling
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #70
Lolly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 54702
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy Colorado

FF Reputation: 21 Lolly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^^ exactly, not to mention good ole' road rage. Hell I barely got under 75 today on the trip to Prattville & wound up with better mileage than when I try to go the speed limit.
Gump Crew #17 Zetec Crew #267
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
lolli lolli lolli lolli let me see you pop that body
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_gEEk View Post
Lolly lolly lolly lolly let me see you pop that body.

Bookmarks & Social Networks