Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: 55 MPH Speed Limit
For 55 MPH Limit 79 6.60%
Against 55 MPH Limit 1,000 83.54%
I'm fine with whichever 118 9.86%
Voters: 1197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #101
TheShocker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52425
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan S

FF Reputation: 1 TheShocker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i do about 80 85 anywhere i go on the freeway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #102
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Memphis still has 55 mph speed limits on the inner city interstate highway system, but I can't see it on interstate highways between cities. That's just silly. It's another way to restrict freedom for our "benefit", it's like the government has become our mother.

Loco, my mileage does appear to be much better when only driving 55, but I wouldn't do it between cities. I don't care if my 15 minute drive to work takes 17 mins.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #103
EricNR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58006
What I Drive: 2003 Tan SE

FF Reputation: 1 EricNR Good Standing Member
Is it just me or does going slower to save gas make not sense? If you go faster you burn gas but get there faster so you burn gas over less time. If you go slower you take longer to get there so you burn probably around the same amount because it takes you more time to get there, meaning your engine is running for longer. The only way I believe you are really going to save money in gas is if you don't jump off the line when the light turns green. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just how i see it.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #104
dullishpage
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32500
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 40 dullishpage Great Standing Member
Drill oil. Drill Oil Now! Drill American Soil Now! Why should we sacrifice our normal lives to some money hungry foreign oil mongers. The problem isn't how much gas we use or how we use it, its the price. Drilling American will strength our economy, create jobs, and increase security, and decrease dependency on foreign countries. I know this sounded too political.

by the way, the faster speed you go, the more energy it takes, causing more consumption of fuel to transfer to energy. Going slower has the opposite effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullishpage View Post
I Am The Winner! I WIN BECAUSE I DID IT WITH MY MIND.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #105
fishbone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52644
What I Drive: Legacy GT, Mini Cooper S

FF Reputation: 3 fishbone Good Standing Member
Didn't sound political as much as naive, sorry to say it. It's not as simple as you put it.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #106
mavtoy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53994
What I Drive: 2001 focus wagon

FF Reputation: 1 mavtoy Good Standing Member
Just one step closer to total Goverment control I say If these people dont like our freedoms here then get out. Thats kind of like this bumper sticker that I seen the other day . It said (If you cant stand behind our troups then Dammit stand in front of them.) And I said Amen Brother Amen. A lot of people have give all for us, these creeps should really think about that and quit trying to change things that there isnt anything wrong with. Besides that 55 is why they made a slow lane. dont know about you guys but my focus is real happy running 70 I think they should raise the Limmit to 70 All across the USA.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #107
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullishpage View Post
Drill oil. Drill Oil Now! Drill American Soil Now! Why should we sacrifice our normal lives to some money hungry foreign oil mongers. The problem isn't how much gas we use or how we use it, its the price. Drilling American will strength our economy, create jobs, and increase security, and decrease dependency on foreign countries. I know this sounded too political.
Technically that wasn't political. Oil only really became politicized when government stuck it's nose where it didn't belong, and as a result, we pay $4 a gallon instead of $2 because we must import our oil.

And no, it wasn't naive. the price of oil is already dropping simply because we are TALKING about drilling. Imagine if we actually did it.

We need a Manhattan Project style thing where we cut through all the communist red tape and just let the evil oil companies start drilling.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #108
bobkat3999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47163
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 bobkat3999 Good Standing Member
honestly living right by the edens and in the chicago area where the speed limit is 55, most drive about 60-65 depending on traffic, i think the drop wouldnt change a thing, its like putting the 45mph in a work zone. hell yea we should obey but if you actually go 45 your going to cause problems w/ traffic flow cause everyones still going 55-60, i dont think it will honestly change much at all
2004 Black SVTF Build #929 out of 1978

ICH MAG SCHNELL FAHREN!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #109
QuikSlvr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50781
What I Drive: 02 SVT(for sale), 02 Intrepid

FF Reputation: 1 QuikSlvr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Most of the folks that have a complaint about the speed limit being to high are the ones who can't hold a steady speed, don't know which lane they want and pay to much attention to everything they pass by instead of what is in front of them. 55 or not, they will still be in the way causing back-ups and pissing everyone off ! Hell no with 55!!! I think I have a bit of road rage?!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #110
tibunger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56457
What I Drive: 2001 Atlantic Blue Zetec SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tibunger Good Standing Member
I am definitely against this reducing the speed limit idea, I don't like the thought of driving slower(I like the gas pedal a little too much lol).. City driving is slow, because thats the city and its a good reason. But having a low speed limit on an interstate especially when there isn't much around is just a pointless. All that does for me is make me sleepy at the wheel which isn't good at all. On the interstates where I am they are 55 already anyway, but everyone (including most cops too) drives 65-75. I thought the whole point of an interstate was to be able to get somewhere faster instead of dealing with traffic lights, stop signs and all that. These days if you drive 'the speed limit' you will get run over or honked at or get all sorts of rude gestures. The cops usually give everyone a cushion of 10 mph as long as you aren't the only car driving faster. I like the idea of the 'gas savers lane' lol. But isn't that basically like the 'slower drivers stay in the right lane' rule we have now? No one pays attention to that one anymore, at least not where I drive.

I think the only time that I actually drove the speed limit on an interstate or highway was when my mom was teaching me how to drive. Ever since then, I drive with the flow of traffic, which is usually alot faster than the speed limits unless its rush hour.

Bookmarks & Social Networks