Volume Knob Issue - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Focus-dude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 168346
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SE 2.3L

FF Reputation: 3 Focus-dude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Volume Knob Issue

With all the known mechanical issues taken care of, I'm starting to tackle a few cosmetic issues - the most annoying first.

The radio button on my 2004 SE 2.3L does not work properly. As I rotate the knob I can feel the knob correctly click as I rotate through the levels but often the actual volume does not change properly to correspond with the knob. If I'm increasing the volume, the actual volume will not change at all or the volume will rise drastically and then the same issues occur as I try to lower the volume to a more suitable level. Occasionally the volume will change accurately with the knob adjustments.

I've seen a great thread on taking out the radio and replacing it but I'm just curious if anyone knows if the knob is repairable without having to buy a new radio.

Here is a photo of what my radio looks like and the knob I am having issues with.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
You are better off finding a used OEM deck or better yet replace it with an aftermarket deck.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 08-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
mechanizeddeath
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135913
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mechanizeddeath Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Honestly, unless you're driving a classic car and want/need to keep it original, or you're driving a modern car with a ton of vehicle integration you don't want to lose, like freemind said, you're better off with a better condition used OEM deck or, better yet, aftermarket.

That having been said, volume knobs get spun a lot, and easily get worn or dirty. Worn out controls will need to be replaced (hence the OEM/aftermarket deck suggestion) while dirty volume controls can be cleaned. However, in either case you'll need to remove the unit and disassemble it before doing the work, and then reassemble and reinstall. By that point, you may as well have just dropped in a new head unit.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->