2005 Focus Fuel Pump - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Ezpimpin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38882
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 Ezpimpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
2005 Focus Fuel Pump

It appears that my fuel pump is starting to go. I'm currently a little past 70,000 on the ticker and my fuel pump loses pressure every time my car sits for a little while. My question is is there a way to fix the fuel pump so it doesn't leak and lose pressure? and if there isn't does the fuel pump that says 04' work on an 05'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What makes you think that you are losing system pressure quicker than "normal"? This has been verified with a pressure gauge or are you just assuming it because of "long" cranking times/hard starting? Does it occur all the time.......engine cold, or engine still hot/warm? If the engine has no other operating issues then it isn't strickly the pump. It could be the check valve, but have you checked for external fuel leaks such as from the fuel filter connections? Has any part of the fuel system been disturbed recently? Are you sure that it isn't just some fuel vapor issue with a heat soaked, just shut down engine? Any leak between the check valve and the injectors (including a "dripping" injector) will increase the rate of pressure drop after shutdown. The check valve I'm pretty sure is part of the pump assembly but I would first check the rest of the system first.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Ezpimpin
Focus Addict

noted i'll check that as soon as I get a chance, thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^ You're mostly correct Grumpy, however Ford's new fuel injection system has no check valve or fuel pressure valve if that's what you're referring to. The new system uses what's called a fuel sensor which senses fuel temperature and pressure. Voltage is variable at the pump according to the sensor's information. This solves the problem of fuel return line losses.

You're right that it could be a number of things besides the pump, however, in Ford's new design it's not as simple as hooking up a fuel pressure tester to verify that the pump is putting out proper pressure. There is a procedure listed in Ford's manuals, but you'd basically need to replace the fuel line with another line that has a mechanical gauge in the line.

If I were in your position, the first thing I'd check is the fuel sensor. It's located in the center of the fuel rail above the intake manifold. You'll notice a small rubber line coming from the center of the sensor- this provides vacuum to the sensor for whatever purpose that serves. Remove that line, and sniff. If you smell fuel, then the fuel sensor is definitely bad. Next, check the fuel line as much as you can physically- I doubt you have a break in the line because that would cause the car not to run at all, but it's worth checking. Also, when is the last time you changed your fuel filter? Fuel filters only last for 25k miles or so- actually a bit longer depending on the quality of fuel you use, but the service interval is 25k miles. Most people don't think about the fuel filter until the pump goes out at around 100k. If you decide to change it yourself, press on the white flat spot on the fuel filter clip to remove the lines- do not try to remove the clip from the line or you could break it.

There are several other things that could be causing your problem besides the fuel system, but since you drive the car and think that the fuel system is the problem- we'll go with that assumption first. If you could more plainly describe exactly what it's doing without assumptions, then we can use our knowledge to determine other possibilities.

Other basic preventive maintenance things to try-
1) clean the MAF with spray MAF cleaner, or carefully with alcohol and a Q-tip.
2) test air filter if it's stock, or clean aftermarket air filter.
3) check spark plug gap and clean plugs. I don't recommend replacing plugs at this stage in repair, simply scrape the crud off the areas where the spark bridges the gap, and make sure that the gap is correct. If any plugs are damaged- then you should replace, of course. Replace the plugs later if you feel you need to.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Grumpy
Focus Addict

I believe that he's talking about his system not "holding pressure" for any length of time after engine shutdown........not the actual operating pressure with the engine running.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Ezpimpin
Focus Addict

yes exactly Grumpy, the system only looses pressure once the engine is shutdown I've drove my car for several hours with no problems but once the engine is shutdown for more than 15 min. the fuel system seems to loose pressure and if I go to start the motor again, it needs to turn over like 4 or 5 times before fireing
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Grumpy
Focus Addict

You could just end up unnecessarily chasing your tail on this. If your car has no visible fuel leaks, no real "gassy" smell eminating from anywhere including from under the hood, and no performance issues, then I don't really think you've got anything to worry about........mine does the same thing, particularly with the hotter weather and I believe others on this forum have commented on this same issue. I can live with 3 or 4 extra "cranks". Other cars that I've owned previously have suffered from the same thing in varying degrees. If you haven't done so already, try letting the pump build up pressure, before cranking it over.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
> Ford's new fuel injection system has no check valve

I thought the fuel pump assembly had one built-in to hold pressure after shut-down, to make starting quicker.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Grumpy
Focus Addict

This system doesn't have/require the fuel pressure regulator/return line, but going by the pressure behind the fuel that I got "spritzed" with on the fuel filter change, I'd say that there is (and it just makes sense) a check valve at the pump discharge. I'm basically lazy, and I have never done it yet on any car for simply replacing the fuel filter, but isn't there a procedure still for the Focus for "depleting" the fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump relay and starting the engine?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #10
Ezpimpin
Focus Addict

yeah I just replaced the fuel filter about 5,000 miles ago. In order to kick the engine over in "decent" conditions I have to turn the key to the "on" position wait about 5 - 10 sec. and then fire the engine. Even when I wait n everything though the engine still takes a couple seconds to turn over. Also, the weather conditions have nothing to do with it, I live in Michigan (new weather every day,) n this has persisted in 30 degree weather and 90 degree weather and everything in between.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.