2008 Focus SES with audiophile - How to wire in an extra sub? **Pics** - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
03stage2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57250
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 03stage2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question 2008 Focus SES with audiophile - How to wire in an extra sub? **Pics**

Hi folks! First time poster, great site! I have searched the forums and unfortunately have not come up with the info I was looking for so hopefully someone out there may be able to help me out!

I have an 08 SES Sedan with the factory audiophile system. The system actually sounds really good and I'm pretty happy with it. However I would like to transplant my JL 10w6v2 to the trunk. I like the factory sub and think it makes a great mid-bass driver so I would like to keep it. I just want to add my amp and sub to the current setup. I have a low level converter to feed the new amp the RCA connection. However I'm somewhat baffled on the wiring. The factory amp has several wires going to it and I was wondering if anyone knew which I should tap? I need to know which to tap for the audio + and - connections as wells as something to tap the amp remote wire into. I'm assuming I can tap the factory wiring right before the amp but cannot find any info on the 08 audiophile system anywhere!? Below is a pic of the 08 audiophile sub setup now.

Anyone?

Thanks a ton for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
isaidme
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55961
What I Drive: 08 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 isaidme Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Im doing something simular only I dont have the factory sub.
I am running JL Audio coaxles and I have a 12W6V2 from my
previous car. I am trying to sale the 12W6 and either get
a 10W6 or 10W3. I can tell you that the JL will completely
overshadow the factory sub to the point you wont know its
there. Anyway, whatever u do keep us posted and pics are
always helpfull. If you know the factory wiring code I would
sure appreciate you posting it. Im not sure where to run the
power wire either so if you find a good spot alot of others and
I could use a photo. Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
03stage2
Focus Rookie

The wiring guide is exactly what I need to figure this out. Unfortunately the car is so new Im having trouble finding a diagram anywhere...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55170
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES

FF Reputation: 26 Derek Zoolander Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
okay I am no expert but in my experience this is what i have to say...

I would recommend leaving the audiophile system alone. Tap into the rear speakers and install a crossover/lpf to get the signal you need to run to your other amp. Should be way easier then messing with what is already there. To test the wires for polarity just use a voltmeter. Cut them and strip off a section of one. If it has juice running through it, that is the +, the other is the ground.

As far as getting juice to the amp. DO NOT wire into the factory setup under any circumstances. If i remember correctly the w6 is a pretty powerful sub and will require MUCH more power then the factory sub, therefore heavier gauge wire then what the factory sub runs on is a must. If you tap into that power source (audiophile system) you could overload the wiring and cause way more serious issues. I would run a separate fused power wire to the amp.
Team Duratec #167

If I have helped, rep is always appreciated.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
03stage2
Focus Rookie

I'm already with you. I have no intensions of tapping into the power from the factory sub. I will run a dedicate 4 gage power wire straight from battery to the new amp.

I dont want to tap the LPF convertor into the rear speakers when they are in the doors and I would have to run the wire all the way back. Ideally I would like to pull signal from whatever is feeding the sub since the wires are right there anyways. I just need to know which is positive and negative signal input. There are so many wires and it's an odd setup with their factory amp. Im hoping that one of those wires will act as a remote wire that I can tap into as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander View Post
okay I am no expert but in my experience this is what i have to say...

I would recommend leaving the audiophile system alone. Tap into the rear speakers and install a crossover/lpf to get the signal you need to run to your other amp. Should be way easier then messing with what is already there. To test the wires for polarity just use a voltmeter. Cut them and strip off a section of one. If it has juice running through it, that is the +, the other is the ground.

As far as getting juice to the amp. DO NOT wire into the factory setup under any circumstances. If i remember correctly the w6 is a pretty powerful sub and will require MUCH more power then the factory sub, therefore heavier gauge wire then what the factory sub runs on is a must. If you tap into that power source (audiophile system) you could overload the wiring and cause way more serious issues. I would run a separate fused power wire to the amp.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55170
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES

FF Reputation: 26 Derek Zoolander Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...pageid=&gutsid=

from brad white... its a site with all the service manuals and stuff from ford... should be able to tell you more info
Team Duratec #167

If I have helped, rep is always appreciated.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Casper666
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53077
What I Drive: 2008, Black, SES

FF Reputation: 1 Casper666 Good Standing Member
yea iw ould just go with tapping the back speakers with a converter but if you want to go with the sub powering unit go for it. id actually like to see where this would come out
Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
03stage2
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander View Post
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...pageid=&gutsid=

from brad white... its a site with all the service manuals and stuff from ford... should be able to tell you more info
Bad link??

Just to clarify to everyone, IM NOT USING THE AUDIOPHILE AMP TO POWER THE JL! Im going to leave the factory sub and amp in place and add on another amp and sup with its own power wire coming from the battery...
Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
dcorwin822
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53054
What I Drive: 2008 Vermillion Red SES

FF Reputation: 11 dcorwin822 Great Standing Member
I'm so into this i was just thinking "why can i use my sync's woofer outputs to run a basslink or similar?" Problem i'm running into is that i dont have a factory woofer so i dont even know if there's a signal coming to my trunk.

attached is a diagram of the trunk woofer connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	focus_woofer_trunk_connector.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	15646  

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
dcorwin822
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53054
What I Drive: 2008 Vermillion Red SES

FF Reputation: 11 dcorwin822 Great Standing Member
I figure I'm probably going to have to borrow the job's O-scope and see if i get a signal back there. Gonna use the DMM to see if I get a remote on and what the voltage of that is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks