ST170 Intake Manifold Runner Control disassembly (PICS!!) - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #41
tjw05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59621
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 tjw05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Old thread, I know, but I'd like to revive it because I'm having problems with my IMRC and if it's just a quick fix (like cleaning it) than I'd prefer to keep the original instead of buying a new one.

So, the problem I'm having is that the IMRC keeps cycling. It keeps switching back and forth between the two different runners. It's loud and you can hear the IMRC cycling between being open and closed. I've recently replaced my DSI clip, so that shouldn't be a problem. The cable from the IMRC is still attached to the post on the DSI clip as it should be.

I've taken the IMRC out of the car and I have it taken apart like GuySA shows above. The only problem I can see is that the little plastic wheel that pulls on the cable is kinda stripped out (there's some white plastic shavings in the bottom of the box). So it's possible that this plastic wheel is slipping, but I'm not sure if this is the problem. If this was the problem then I don't think the cable would be able to be pulled or released at all, would it?

Lastly, why in the eff didn't they just spend a few extra pennies and use a metal wheel instead of the cheap plastic one? Thanks guys and gals for any help/advice you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #42
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
this thread is just too informatve my heads gonna explode...A+ for you!

REP TIME
Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #43
tjw05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59621
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 tjw05 Good Standing Member
After a few more minutes of thought ('I'm not the sharpest spoon in the shed' and it takes me awhile to work through a problem), I'm almost positive that the problem is that the plastic wheel is stripped-out. When the plastic wheel is rotated by the metal gear so that the plastic wheel pulls on the cable, the plastic wheel slips and releases the cable. The plastic wheel is stripped out just enough so that the it be partially rotated, but when a certain amount of torque is placed on it and it is rotated too far, it slips and releases the cable. I'm going to try and put a metal screw into the plastic wheel so that the metal gear has something of substance to push against. If it works out, I'll post my results. If anybody has any other suggestions, let's hear 'em.

And again, why couldn't they just use metal instead of plastic? Who knows how many people have spent $100-$200 bucks or more on replacing this whole unit just because a $0.10 plastic wheel strips-out?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #44
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
You say you recently replaced your DSI clip? Did it break? If so, that could have allowed the gear to destroy itself. Seems that they are pretty reliable most of the time....don't hear much about stripped gears.

Oh....seeing as the motor is very similar (if not the exactly the same) as those used in RC model cars/trucks, you might get lucky and find a gear from one of them that is the same and will repair the box for a dollar or two. Only problem will be measuring the gear and finding the replacement. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #45
94Cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79311
What I Drive: '04 Pitch Black 5dr SVT eap bld #99

FF Reputation: 2 94Cobra Good Standing Member
Hey, besthaticouldo, awesome avatar! How many tries did it take to get the cat to wear that orange peel and let you shoot it?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #46
PiSTOLpete717
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81212
What I Drive: 2002 Infra Red SVT FOCUS #2294

FF Reputation: 1 PiSTOLpete717 Good Standing Member
cool thanks for posting this...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #47
blackjack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69988
What I Drive: Black 03 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 blackjack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Is there anyway to remove the PCB without having to un-soldiering it from the wiring harness plug?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #48
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
I love this write up. I took mine apart today because I'm getting the famous IMRC stuck open code. I would like to add for those of you that are uncomfortable with desoldering the connector that with a little patience (approximately 5-10 mins.) and a pocket knife you can scrape off the epoxy around the connector and remove it all together.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
vinyl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100320
What I Drive: 2012 Mondeo Titanium 163

FF Reputation: 1 vinyl Good Standing Member
I sold my ST170 recently, but before i did i had to repair the IMRC as i had the p1518 error. I just want to tell people that i replaced my ST170 IMRC with one from a Cougar. The part number matched and the part looked (inside and out) identical in every way.
Fitted and worked no problem. Saved myself approx 150 as for some reason for the Cougar they are much much cheaper.

Bookmarks & Social Networks