Is the 30,000 mile maintenance really necessary???? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
BiZzYBlackSES05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44535
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 1 BiZzYBlackSES05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Red face Is the 30,000 mile maintenance really necessary????

Ok well, i have an 05 ST, and im now on 32300 miles on it. The oil change is coming up soon but i was wondering if i should just do the whole 30k mile maintenance that ford recommends or is it just a waste of money and time? Has anyone here done it and if so how did it go? Did the car respond nicely? etc.. Or is it better to take the car in stride?

Just wanted to know cuz i dont want to throw $530 just like that. I just feel that i ask so much from my car but i dont really give nothing back other than car wash, oil change tire rotation...

All comments will be accepted...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well.....I assume that you don't do much work on your car yourself. Those "major services" that dealers sell for the most part are rip-offs. Get a list of what they actually do during the service, then compare it to the recommended service intervals in the owners manual. You usually find they're doing stuff much sooner than recommended, and they're doing things not even in the manual.

Fuel system flush....mostly useless unless you're having problems. Throw a can of the stuff in the gas tank once a year or so, and you'll save money.

Transmission flush......can be harmful with those flush machines. Simply dump the fluid every few years, or when it starts looking dark.

Engine oil flush....same. Change your oil and filter regularly. That's it.

They also try to sell other "Flushes"....cooling system, power steering fluid, brake fluid. I drain the cooling system every 30k. I run on pure water for an hour or so.....then drain the water and refill with the proper cooling mixture. The PS fluid and brake fluid can be changed easily by sucking out the old fluid and adding new......whenever the stuff starts looking dark.

Those "flushes" are what make the major service so expensive.....and give the dealer the highest profit.

Other stuff....Battery service....clean the top of the battery, and the terminals, and add water if it shows low. Easy to do.

Alignments....I never do this on a regular basis. I'll do it if the tires wear on the edges, or I hit something hard, or the steering changes. If the car was aligned properly at the factory, you can go 100k and still might not need an alignment.....even if you get new tires.

I worked at car dealers as a mechanic all my life....so I know what they do to make money. They say they're dedicated to keeping your car running 100%. Not so. They're dedicated to making money off you....as much as they can.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
change fuel filter.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

Points 18,461, Level 86
Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
No, do NOT do it! I just had a thread on this....they wanted to do the air filter, cabin filter, coolant/tranny service, fuel filter, pcv, and some other things. if you look in your maint. booklet, it says the tranny fluid and pcv are 100k items. we dont have a cabin filter. u cant change the air filter. i was also quoted 450 bucks for all this, not 570. sounds like ur being ripped off. if you dont know about what your car needs, they would just say they did these things, and you would pay for it.

i did the tranny fluid myself, and the coolant. fuel filter i would say do, if you havent yet. they dont have to be done at that point, i know, as i said above. i just did them b/c i got the car used, and didnt know how hard the car was driven, if it had been maintained, etc. so, i just gave the car all new fluids.

fuel filter i would say do, if you havent yet. i had them do that at 25k though, they packaged it in with an oil change, gave me 10 bucks off doing that since i was already there, car was in the air. try something like that.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
dyn2liv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52297
What I Drive: 04 White Focus ZX-3

FF Reputation: 63 dyn2liv Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
Well.....I assume that you don't do much work on your car yourself. Those "major services" that dealers sell for the most part are rip-offs. Get a list of what they actually do during the service, then compare it to the recommended service intervals in the owners manual. You usually find they're doing stuff much sooner than recommended, and they're doing things not even in the manual.

Fuel system flush....mostly useless unless you're having problems. Throw a can of the stuff in the gas tank once a year or so, and you'll save money.

Transmission flush......can be harmful with those flush machines. Simply dump the fluid every few years, or when it starts looking dark.

Engine oil flush....same. Change your oil and filter regularly. That's it.

They also try to sell other "Flushes"....cooling system, power steering fluid, brake fluid. I drain the cooling system every 30k. I run on pure water for an hour or so.....then drain the water and refill with the proper cooling mixture. The PS fluid and brake fluid can be changed easily by sucking out the old fluid and adding new......whenever the stuff starts looking dark.

Those "flushes" are what make the major service so expensive.....and give the dealer the highest profit.

Other stuff....Battery service....clean the top of the battery, and the terminals, and add water if it shows low. Easy to do.

Alignments....I never do this on a regular basis. I'll do it if the tires wear on the edges, or I hit something hard, or the steering changes. If the car was aligned properly at the factory, you can go 100k and still might not need an alignment.....even if you get new tires.

I worked at car dealers as a mechanic all my life....so I know what they do to make money. They say they're dedicated to keeping your car running 100%. Not so. They're dedicated to making money off you....as much as they can.
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^^
^^
^^

AMEN !!!!!!!

Normal Oil changes, fuel filter @ 30k intervals, Tranny every 60k (change filter). Clean motor internally, get a can of SeaFoam Deep Creep, (spray directly into intake w/ car running, just b4 motors dies, stop, shut car down let sit 10-15 minutes and restart. Car will blow lots of black smoke, then white & go back to normal. Internals now clean.

Just my .02
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
CapnGnarly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50250
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 7 CapnGnarly Good Standing Member
^^
Talk to me about that Deep Creep stuff. Any other input on it? Sounds like something that might be either interesting and useful, or amazingly harmful to your car.
Team Duratec #333
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
theres quite a few threads on Sea Foam.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

Points 18,461, Level 86
Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
sea foam is an immensely popular and powerful cleaner. i used to use that on my turboed car, at the TB. stuff got SO much crap out of the IM, it was nuts. deep creep is the spray IM cleaner version of sea foam.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
BiZzYBlackSES05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44535
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 1 BiZzYBlackSES05 Good Standing Member
well thanks for the info guys... I assume a dirty fuel filter be the cause of hard starts? Sometimes i have to tap the gas for it to start.

i got the car used at 25k now 7k later, all i been doing is oil changes, new brakes new battery....
Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
trans fluid & filter, fuel filter, internal clean, new air filter, done

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.