Help JRSC belt fell off... - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
horsePOOGAS
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30328
What I Drive: 02 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 horsePOOGAS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Help JRSC belt fell off...

So I was at the pizza place getten some grub I walk out to the car get in and go to start it. I hear a "clunk" . . . lol I try to turn my wheel but I've lost my power steering so first thing comes to mind that my belt for some reason has came off.

So I get out to enspect, pop the hood and sure enough the belt has came off and is just kinda layen there... so I start to look and see WHY it came off.
Oh I don't have a belt tensioner anymore lol Seems that BOTH bolts have snapped off in the braket that came with the kit...

I crawl underneith to look more to see and at the time I could only see one half of the bolt sticking out of the bracket and could not see the other bolt at all, so I was hopeing that I screwed up or something and either forgot to put the other bolt in OR I didn't tighten it and it fell out causing extrem stress on the other bolt... This was yesterday, I just got off work got the car up on stands to have a better look and as it comes out both bolts where broken and both halfs inside the braket.

WHY!?!? lol I'm totally confused about this... Could something be out of line with the belt? even with that I would think the belt woulda shreded first before something metal breaking. When I looked at the belt it was unharmed... BUT the idler pully that came with the kit was shreded on the back half thats closest to the engine.

Like I said the belt was unharmed... but the pully had been rubbing up againts the tensioner seems like?

Idk... any thoughts and ideas are welcome as to why this happend or if this has happend to anyone else. I'm gonna start tomorrow tearing it down to take the bracket off cause I'll have to drill out the rest of the two bolts somehow... aye. I was hoping I was just going to have to deal with one and not both.

I don't exactly know how to post pics but I attached them I think, they are of the pully that got shreded.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idler pully 001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	15588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	idler pully 002.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	15589  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
horsePOOGAS
Focus Addict

Could someone ATLEAST give me an idea as to why the tensoner broke BOTH bolts??? lol I mean has anyone ever experienced this before?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
sonicsvt3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47582
What I Drive: 2004 sonic blue JRSC+BBK SVT

FF Reputation: 2 sonicsvt3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
mine came off once but it was because i used a bolt that was to short and it came out so i got a longer bolt put some locktight on it and put it in and has been fine since. how long was the bolt?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
horsePOOGAS
Focus Addict

they were the two bolts that hold on the belt tensioner. But i've figured out my problem got the bolds out and threads retapped. Now i just gotta buy a new idler pulley.

Shew... glad this wasn't something real serious. lol
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Dan-O
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50029
What I Drive: 2002 FrankenTurbo powered Beetle

FF Reputation: 13 Dan-O Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsePOOGAS View Post
they were the two bolts that hold on the belt tensioner. But I've figured out my problem got the bolts out and threads retapped. Now i just gotta buy a new idler pulley.

Shew... glad this wasn't something real serious. lol
So was it the OEM or JR idler that failed?
Supercharger.com has the little non-OEM one in stock. I ordered one last month to replace my missing one. (bought a used JRSC with no pulley)
Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
horsePOOGAS
Focus Addict

ya it was the JR pulley, but it wasn't the thing that failed. it was the two bolts that hold the belt tensioner right underneith the jr pulley that failed... lol they just...snapped.

Bookmarks & Social Networks